Texas Summer-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

#21 Postby DonWrk » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:35 am

A lot of rain that wasn't really forecast is falling this morning. A lot of short range models were showing this happening but NWS refused to put any chances up until this morning.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#22 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:46 am

DonWrk wrote:A lot of rain that wasn't really forecast is falling this morning. A lot of short range models were showing this happening but NWS refused to put any chances up until this morning.

A lot of the stuff in south/central Texas will build northward today. I think the globals had an idea there would be coverage but can't handle small scale features as the Hi Res models do
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#23 Postby Brent » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 am

DonWrk wrote:A lot of rain that wasn't really forecast is falling this morning. A lot of short range models were showing this happening but NWS refused to put any chances up until this morning.

Tell me about it!

We didn't even have flash flood warnings in this area during Bill LOL
0 likes   
#neversummer

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer-2015

#24 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:11 pm

0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I was in San Antonio over weekend. Wet there too. Came back home today. Another inch in the gauge since I left Friday morning with some leftover backyard puddles in the grass.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#26 Postby Shoshana » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:29 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:I was in San Antonio over weekend. Wet there too. Came back home today. Another inch in the gauge since I left Friday morning with some leftover backyard puddles in the grass.

The rain seemed to be training over the west side of town this morning, we heard thunder but got about .25" here.

Looks like y'all are fixing to get more now
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#27 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Shoshana wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:I was in San Antonio over weekend. Wet there too. Came back home today. Another inch in the gauge since I left Friday morning with some leftover backyard puddles in the grass.

The rain seemed to be training over the west side of town this morning, we heard thunder but got about .25" here.

Looks like y'all are fixing to get more now

Yeah, got another three tenths added to that, and windy!
Felt great instead of steamy.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby gboudx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:41 pm

We ended with about 4.25".
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby aggiecutter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 am

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#30 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:25 am

Cold front :) seems to be the theme the past 2 summers. Looks like 1906 and 1973 is trying to find company ;)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#31 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:51 am

Ntxw wrote:Cold front :) seems to be the theme the past 2 summers. Looks like 1906 and 1973 is trying to find company ;)

Bring it sir. Bring it. :)
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:29 am

Heat miser cant get a break haha. This have something to do with that warm pool staying strong in the Gulf of Alaska??
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#33 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:49 am

You know Lucy <- avatar reference, has taken quite a hit in 2015 (at least up here in NTX). From snow, to lots of drought ending rain, to lack of 100s :cheesy:. Harsh year for her.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:50 am

(EDITED): Got back Sunday morning from a week out of town for work. As it turns out, it was just in time to see one of the most torrential downpours I've ever seen.

An automated weather reporting station in Denison showed 4.55 inches of rain (in about 2 hours). The NWS told the local newspaper that around six inches fell in portions of Denison.

I believe it. In the 15 years I've lived in my house, we've never experienced the amount of water we had in our backyard, gushing down the side of our yard and along the curb in front of our house that we did Sunday. And a 33-acre recreational lake about a mile away went up nearly 10 feet during those two hours due to the inflow.

Numerous places that rarely or never flood did just that on Sunday. A local vets office flooded severely but fortunately all of the animals were rescued. A couple of schools flooded and some homes too. And an elderly gentleman was swept off a road near Pottsboro and drowned not far away from where I live due to floodwaters. That's the first severe weather fatality of the year here in Grayson County despite nearly nine inches of rain in April, 19.21 inches in May (and a Memorial Day tornado) and nearly 10 inches in June (so far).

Finally, the rain from Bill last week and the rain on Sunday caused Lake Texoma to surge to 645.32 (if I remember correctly).

That's more than five feet over the spillway again and just less than a half-foot below the record of 645.76 set after last month's flooding rains.

It's also more than a half foot above the previous record flood level mark set back in May of 1990.

Unreal couple of months around these parts.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#35 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:54 am

Texas Snowman wrote:Finally, the rain from Bill last week and the rain on Sunday caused Lake Texoma to surge to 645.32 (if I remember correctly).

That's more than five feet over the spillway again and just less than a half-foot under the record of 645.76 set after last month's flooding rains.

It's also more than a half foot above the previous record flood level mark set in May of 1980.

El Nino will be flexing it's muscles again in July. Honestly I would not be surprised at all if we top the spill way a third time between now and September. The difference with 1957, 1990, and 2007 is that they began to dry out later in the summer. Late 2007 La Nina was already beginning stages of drought that would grip us for years after the wet summer. 2015 will be very different.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#36 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:00 am

:uarrow: I edited my original post. It had a mistake or two and said the previous record flood was in May of 1980. Actually, it was May of 1990.

And Ntxw, I told my wife the same thing, that I wouldn't be surprised if Texoma exceeds it's spillway another time or two between now and Thanksgiving.

I've been told that once the spillway overflow stops, the Corps of Engineers can lower the level six to seven inches per day. To get it from 640 (spillway level) to normal level (618), it's going to be several weeks down the road.

The summer of 2015 is effectively ruined for lakeside businesses, marinas, lodging spots, etc.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#37 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:40 pm

What's all this talk about a cold front? I saw a news story today about a place on the coast of Iran that recorded a 100F temperature with a dewpoint of 91F, making a heat index of 146F. Now that's the kind of weather we should be celebrating in this thread!

On a more serious note, the type of pattern for this coming weekend could result in southwest-moving thunderstorms across east/southeast TX. Such storms often become severe with large hail and strong winds. Tornadoes are rare, though. Saturday afternoon/evening looks like a prime time for such storms. Sunday, too, perhaps.

GFS doesn't indicate any cool temps, except that it isn't forecasting any 95F+ temps through 10 days.

Found it - it was a tweet from a guy named Anthony Sagliani. Check out the 8am observation. Oh, and the 3 mile visibility in blowing dust was the icing on the cake:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:05 pm

wxman57 wrote:What's all this talk about a cold front? I saw a news story today about a place on the coast of Iran that recorded a 100F temperature with a dewpoint of 91F, making a heat index of 146F. Now that's the kind of weather we should be celebrating in this thread!

Seriously, that is past disgusting. The past few days ( it noticeably drier today) has been torture. Dewpoints around 75. No thank you sir. Sheesh.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby gboudx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:26 pm

Realistically, how long could the average person survive in that kind of weather?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#40 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm

I feel like I'm going to die past 100, wet or dry my goodness 146. I'd take death over that slow torture...
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”