Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#501 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:11 pm

Here’s my one and only post this time of year…

FVCK SUMMER!

See y’all for Fall and Winter
4 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#502 Postby TropicalTundra » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:25 am

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:Here’s my one and only post this time of year…

FVCK SUMMER!

See y’all for Fall and Winter

Can relate. I’ve been listening to Christmas songs since April. Hopefully this fall/winter can fix the drought we’ve been having at the least :cry:
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#503 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:11 am

Very humbling last wording from EWX discussion this morning.

Unfortunately, it`s beginning to look
increasingly likely that Summer 2022 may go down as the hottest on record, and additional drought intensification is likely to occur over the coming weeks.

:wall: :cry:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#504 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:42 am

Upper 500mb ridge looks like it's going to flex on the ENS after this early week of shifting a bit west. All of the Great Plains, Texas included, will be at play.

So far we've seen it meander and pulse, its apex will probably be sometime end of this month and early August with climatological peak.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#505 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Makes me sick when west Texas is cooler. It’s currently in the 80s and low 90s. WTH.
0 likes   

cstrunk
Category 2
Category 2

#506 Postby cstrunk » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:02 pm

I have a 30% chance of rain today. Can I get lucky? SPC has a marginal risk through the area.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#507 Postby Brent » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:09 pm

It is very sad times when a temperature of 94 and a heat index of 102 is considered a cold front but here we are :spam:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#508 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:06 pm

16th 100F or greater day at DFW. 22 through this coming Friday going by the NWS forecast. Though a couple of days at 100 could be 99 or 101. That will take us to mid month. If the rest of the days were 100F or greater we would be at 38 by the end of the month. Presumably you could say a few days may not get that so anywhere between ~30-38.

August averages the most 100F days around 10 and since we have been well above normal I would say 45-55F days is about a reasonable guess pace, which is higher than the initial summer guess for DFW I made in the mid 30s. We're definitely on pace for a top 5 most annual 100F days here in the metroplex. 56 days is #3, 69 and 71 are #2 and #1. The latter would require most of August seeing 100s and some days in September at the current pace to achieve.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#509 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:23 pm

Ntxw wrote:16th 100F or greater day at DFW. 22 through this coming Friday going by the NWS forecast. Though a couple of days at 100 could be 99 or 101. That will take us to mid month. If the rest of the days were 100F or greater we would be at 38 by the end of the month. Presumably you could say a few days may not get that so anywhere between ~30-38.

August averages the most 100F days around 10 and since we have been well above normal I would say 45-55F days is about a reasonable guess pace, which is higher than the initial summer guess for DFW I made in the mid 30s. We're definitely on pace for a top 5 most annual 100F days here in the metroplex. 56 days is #3, 69 and 71 are #2 and #1. The latter would require most of August seeing 100s and some days in September at the current pace to achieve.

Let's just say that next year is almost guaranteed to be cooler. It will still be hot, but it is highly unlikely to have a repeat of this year or something like 1980 or 2011 from a statistical standpoint. Also, it will probably be wetter.
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#510 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:32 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:16th 100F or greater day at DFW. 22 through this coming Friday going by the NWS forecast. Though a couple of days at 100 could be 99 or 101. That will take us to mid month. If the rest of the days were 100F or greater we would be at 38 by the end of the month. Presumably you could say a few days may not get that so anywhere between ~30-38.

Let's just say that next year is almost guaranteed to be cooler. It will still be hot, but it is highly unlikely to have a repeat of this year or something like 1980 or 2011 from a statistical standpoint. Also, it will probably be wetter.

It's probably next year will likely be better. But how much better? It's not often a flip is just switched. Let's just use 2011 for the sake as an example, while the ground drought and atmospheric drought were the most severe in 2011, 2012-2014 hydrological drought kicked, those were some of the harshest water table years than even 2011 when the lakes were at their decadal lows. There's usually a lag effect, so if in the most optimistic view lets say an El Nino kicks in this Fall (likely won't) it won't be until Spring or Summer of next year to see a real atmospheric response/improvement. If one kicks up traditionally through Spring then you'd need a season or two to catch up.

Can it flip instant? Sure, but you'd see the signs of it pretty quickly. If I were making a sound guess, I'd say the atmospheric drought would likely improve the second half of next year given a Nina is quite likely the end of this year and the beginning of next and go out by Spring. All predicating a wholesale change in the Pacific occurs.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#511 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Ntxw wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

It's probably next year will likely be better. But how much better? It's not often a flip is just switched. Let's just use 2011 for the sake as an example, while the ground drought and atmospheric drought were the most severe in 2011, 2012-2014 hydrological drought kicked, those were some of the harshest water table years than even 2011 when the lakes were at their decadal lows. There's usually a lag effect, so if in the most optimistic view lets say an El Nino kicks in this Fall (likely won't) it won't be until Spring or Summer of next year to see a real atmospheric response/improvement. If one kicks up traditionally through Spring then you'd need a season or two to catch up.

Can it flip instant? Sure, but you'd see the signs of it pretty quickly. If I were making a sound guess, I'd say the atmospheric drought would likely improve the second half of next year given a Nina is quite likely the end of this year and the beginning of next and go out by Spring. All predicating a wholesale change in the Pacific occurs.

Sure it's going to take a while to undo the current pattern, but I didn't say next year would be wet and cool. I just said wetter and cooler which 2012 was both for much of the state compared to 2011. It wasn't optimal for undoing all the lingering effects of the dry pattern, but it was the beginning of heading towards a better pattern.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#512 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:52 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:Sure it's going to take a while to undo the current pattern, but I didn't say next year would be wet and cool. I just said wetter and cooler which 2012 was both for much of the state compared to 2011. It wasn't optimal for undoing all the lingering effects of the dry pattern, but it was the beginning of heading towards a better pattern.

That's a fair point. However inland outside of the coast 2012 annually was hotter for both DFW and Austin and many other regions than 2011. It was summer 2011 that was outrageous.

Plus 2012 is a terrible ENSO year. I had the call wrong completely in the ENSO thread that season thinking an El Nino was going to form in the hopes one would, that ended up as a head-fake. A Florida poster kept pointing out the PDO was going to interfere and in the end it did after thinking it wouldn't play that big of a role. That taught me a good lesson in ENSO to incorporate all factors.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#513 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:20 pm

So, storm popped up directly over me. Lightning and heavy rain and I was excited for the relief it would bring. Wow, was I wrong. Still about 100, and super humid. I’ve felt 118 degree heat before and this is worse.
3 likes   

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#514 Postby DallasAg » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:Makes me sick when west Texas is cooler. It’s currently in the 80s and low 90s. WTH.

It's so strange. Today I drove from Crested Butte, CO, to Dallas. It was a balmy 42 degrees when we rolled out of CB. Typically the stretch from Childress through Vernon and Wichita Falls is the hottest part of the drive, but today the hottest reading I saw on the car was at Preston & Royal (110). It didn't even hit 100 until we were just outside of Wichita Falls and that was at normal peak heating (4:00ish). Very odd.

It was interesting to see how much green there still was on parts of 287 between Wichita Falls and Decatur. As we got closer and closer to Dallas the brown took over pretty quickly. Everything is dormant which hasn't been getting irrigated. If it were Aug 9th I'd think that's about right. But July 9th...ugh. The feedback loop is going to be ugly. Even if the high isn't parked right over us it seems like we'll just be hitting 100s routinely because everything is fried. Glad I didn't invest in any new landscaping this year. I'm assuming water restrictions are forthcoming.
0 likes   

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#515 Postby funster » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:05 pm

Some of the DFW forecasts now showing 108 for Tuesday and the 90s are gone from the 10 day. WFAA has 107 Monday and 108 Tuesday https://www.wfaa.com/weather :cry:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#516 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:27 am

Well uhhh, I did not expect to see that from the 0z Euro.
3 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#517 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:47 am

Cpv17 wrote:Well uhhh, I did not expect to see that from the 0z Euro.

I much prefer that to the GFS, which is consistently putting out all time record highs for dfw during the last 10 days of the month…
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#518 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:10 am

96°F expected today, Friday was kinda wild with a microburst over Oklahoma City from big storms that developed along a cold front, but died off before it reached my house. Even though parts of Oklahoma City got up to 3.5 inches of rain.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#519 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:22 pm

Curious to see if the Euro keeps it 12z run. It is punching the system into the ridge though so some level of skepticism. Even the latest GFS solution isn't 'too bad' at least for the coast and southern tier of the state.

In other news the SOI still can't hold negatives, it did one day then reverted positive, though not terribly positive but still more consistently +.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#520 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:39 pm

Ntxw wrote:Curious to see if the Euro keeps it 12z run. It is punching the system into the ridge though so some level of skepticism. Even the latest GFS solution isn't 'too bad' at least for the coast and southern tier of the state.

In other news the SOI still can't hold negatives, it did one day then reverted positive, though not terribly positive but still more consistently +.

As much as I want the 0z Euro to verify with that tropical system, I find it highly unlikely. Think the ridge will hold firm and whatever becomes of that will remain east of the state. The long-range GFS is spitting out some insane heat over north TX later this month. Yikes if that happens, which actually isn't too unlikely sadly...
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”