Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#521 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:49 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Curious to see if the Euro keeps it 12z run. It is punching the system into the ridge though so some level of skepticism. Even the latest GFS solution isn't 'too bad' at least for the coast and southern tier of the state.

In other news the SOI still can't hold negatives, it did one day then reverted positive, though not terribly positive but still more consistently +.

As much as I want the 0z Euro to verify with that tropical system, I find it highly unlikely. Think the ridge will hold firm and whatever becomes of that will remain east of the state. The long-range GFS is spitting out some insane heat over north TX later this month. Yikes if that happens, which actually isn't too unlikely sadly...

I did a short reanalysis from the air just above the surface since May. North Texas has seen anomalous warmth up there. It's more than just a ground/surface drought/heat, it's occurring up and down the layer of the atmosphere, at 4SDs in some spots that's likely the warmest on record for the period. The upper levels is primed so I wouldn't doubt something extreme could occur at the surface should it continue in this area.

1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#522 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:23 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Curious to see if the Euro keeps it 12z run. It is punching the system into the ridge though so some level of skepticism. Even the latest GFS solution isn't 'too bad' at least for the coast and southern tier of the state.

In other news the SOI still can't hold negatives, it did one day then reverted positive, though not terribly positive but still more consistently +.

As much as I want the 0z Euro to verify with that tropical system, I find it highly unlikely. Think the ridge will hold firm and whatever becomes of that will remain east of the state. The long-range GFS is spitting out some insane heat over north TX later this month. Yikes if that happens, which actually isn't too unlikely sadly...

I did a short reanalysis from the air just above the surface since May. North Texas has seen anomalous warmth up there. It's more than just a ground/surface drought/heat, it's occurring up and down the layer of the atmosphere, at 4SDs in some spots that's likely the warmest on record for the period. The upper levels is primed so I wouldn't doubt something extreme could occur at the surface should it continue in this area.

https://i.imgur.com/ced7UY4.png

https://i.imgur.com/xkSuGZ0.png

https://i.imgur.com/x6NDYRj.png

I know it sounds overdramatic but I don’t know how much more we, along with the animals, vegetation, trees and our sanity can take up here this summer. 100 is one thing but when you’re getting into the 108-111 range everyday with heat indexes of 115-118, it just 100% SUCKS. This to me feels worse than 2011.
0 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#523 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:54 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/ced7UY4.png

https://i.imgur.com/xkSuGZ0.png

https://i.imgur.com/x6NDYRj.png

I know it sounds overdramatic but I don’t know how much more we, along with the animals, vegetation, trees and our sanity can take up here this summer. 100 is one thing but when you’re getting into the 108-111 range everyday with heat indexes of 115-118, it just 100% SUCKS. This to me feels worse than 2011.

Yep I feel you. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Hang in there. The next 2 months look absolutely brutal. I wish I had better news...
1 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#524 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:51 pm

@NWSSanAntonio — Austin Camp Mabry has reached 110 degrees today, which ties their all time record high for the month of July!
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

utpmg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#525 Postby utpmg » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:57 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:@NWSSanAntonio — Austin Camp Mabry has reached 110 degrees today, which ties their all time record high for the month of July!

Yup, almost simultaneously with a little thunderboomer in NW Austin with a quick dump of rain. Wonder if it and these clouds will keep the max at 110.
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#526 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:12 pm

utpmg wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:@NWSSanAntonio — Austin Camp Mabry has reached 110 degrees today, which ties their all time record high for the month of July!

Yup, almost simultaneously with a little thunderboomer in NW Austin with a quick dump of rain. Wonder if it and these clouds will keep the max at 110.

Looks like those clouds pushed the Camp Mabry temp down to 102... seemed like the station was well on its way to challenging the all-time record for the city given that the high these past few days has tended to be around 4-6 pm. Hopefully those clouds come around tomorrow as well to prevent the mercury from getting too high again.
0 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#527 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Pretty hot down in SE Texas as well. CLL hit 111F. As did Huntsville also.

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/1546235245527285762

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#528 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Ntxw wrote:Pretty hot down in SE Texas as well. CLL hit 111F. As did Huntsville also.

On my weather channel app the hottest I saw College Station get to was 109 so I’m not sure where the 111 came from. Also 2:50 isn’t normally the warmest part the day either.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#529 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:46 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Pretty hot down in SE Texas as well. CLL hit 111F. As did Huntsville also.

On my weather channel app the hottest I saw College Station get to was 109 so I’m not sure where the 111 came from. Also 2:50 isn’t normally the warmest part the day either.

The NWS site has official readings which includes many of the intra-hour readings compared to the hourly readings for most apps. Typically I'll just fill in the site codes to find each location.

This is for CLL.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=kcll
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#530 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 pm

Heard thunder several times. Temp dropped from 105 to 102 here at the abode. Stayed cloudy for a little bit. Rain missed us to the south.

Temp rebounded to 106 here at the house. :grr:
:spam:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#531 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

The NWS site has official readings which includes many of the intra-hour readings compared to the hourly readings for most apps. Typically I'll just fill in the site codes to find each location.

This is for CLL.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=kcll

I gotcha! I need to get a thermometer at my house because I just use TWC to keep track of the temperatures but every thermometer I buy doesn’t last very long so I just quit buying them. Don’t really know of a good place to put one out here without it being damaged.
1 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#532 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:19 pm

@NWSNorman —- How does this Summer (so far) compare to previous years? The average high temperature at OKC for the 6/1-7/9 period was 91.4 degrees (ranking 24th out of a 132 year period of record). At Wichita Falls, that value is 97.7 (9th out of 99 years).
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#533 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:00 pm

Houston (IAH) tied the all time July record of 105F today.

Another record to watch for DFW is the consecutive days 80F or higher low temp, currently standing at 8. Record is 14 and the forecast is close.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#534 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:32 pm

Camp Mabry got to 110 today, beating the old record of 105 set back in 1917, another year with a bunch of heat records. Yay (sarcasm).
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#535 Postby funster » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:08 pm

No! -> Ercot warns of rolling blackouts possible Monday. :(

The state's Public Utility Commission (PUC) recommends people turn up their thermostat 2-3 degrees higher from 2-7pm, avoid the use of large appliances during those hours, close shades and blinds, and use fans in order to conserve energy.

https://www.tpr.org/environment/2022-07-10/rolling-blackouts-possible-monday-as-texas-power-grid-struggles-to-keep-up-with-heat-wave
https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/supplyanddemand
0 likes   

cstrunk
Category 2
Category 2

#536 Postby cstrunk » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:21 pm

Yesterday was crazy hot. I recorded 104F at my house before I got lucky and a storm dropped 0.18" of rain. But it quickly moved on and the sun came out and the temp went back up to a sticky 103F. Gross. At least I got SOME rain although it's not enough to do much of anything.

Longview airport reached 107F.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#537 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:52 am

funster wrote:No! -> Ercot warns of rolling blackouts possible Monday. :(

The state's Public Utility Commission (PUC) recommends people turn up their thermostat 2-3 degrees higher from 2-7pm, avoid the use of large appliances during those hours, close shades and blinds, and use fans in order to conserve energy.

https://www.tpr.org/environment/2022-07-10/rolling-blackouts-possible-monday-as-texas-power-grid-struggles-to-keep-up-with-heat-wave
https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/supplyanddemand

The next couple of days will put a lot of strain and anxiety. It's best to be prepared.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#538 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:45 am

Ntxw wrote:Houston (IAH) tied the all time July record of 105F today.

Another record to watch for DFW is the consecutive days 80F or higher low temp, currently standing at 8. Record is 14 and the forecast is close.

Wow, I am shocked that the DFW record for this would be only 14 days. I assumed the 80+ low temps streaks would have been as long as the 100+ high temp streaks were. Did 1980 and 2011 have some nice chilly nights that I just don't remember?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#539 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:58 am

somethingfunny wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Houston (IAH) tied the all time July record of 105F today.

Wow, I am shocked that the DFW record for this would be only 14 days. I assumed the 80+ low temps streaks would have been as long as the 100+ high temp streaks were. Did 1980 and 2011 have some nice chilly nights that I just don't remember?

1998 holds the consecutive streak and 2011 holds the most days. It's actually not that common to have 80+ in such long stretches without a day or two breaking it. The unbroken streak records have occurred with the UHI in more modern years.

Days 80+ minimum

Code: Select all

nk   # of Days   Year
1   55   2011
2   39   1998
3   27   2008
4   24   2010
5   23   2006
(tie)   22   1980
22   1925
8   20   2000
9   19   2016
10   18   1954

Record for Consecutive Days = 14 (July 19 - August 1, 1998).
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#540 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:27 am

I never thought I'd post this on our forum, but 2022 is making 2011 look like a dress rehearsal. What a miserable, horrible summer this has been. And we've not reached August which is usually the worst month. :(

We had the warmest May and June on record here and July is well on its way.
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”