Texas Summer 2022

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2022

#781 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:37 am

Both GEFS and EPS ensemble suites return lower heights to the Pacific NW after the ridge break. Back to regular programming of summer 2022 just in time for August. A few days lower 100s was nice.

Oklahoma is hotter the next couple days 104-107F in Tulsa. End of the coming week is their break.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#782 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:Both GEFS and EPS ensemble suites return lower heights to the Pacific NW after the ridge break. Back to regular programming of summer 2022 just in time for August. A few days lower 100s was nice.

Oklahoma is hotter the next couple days 104-107F in Tulsa. End of the coming week is their break.

Yeah this break is big, highs in the low to mid 80s with storms.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#783 Postby Brent » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:20 pm

GFS has rain and temps around 70 here Friday evening :double: I might have to find my jacket after this :spam:

The warmup after is gonna suck even worse if that happens :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#784 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:49 pm

Quick ENSO update regarding future weather for us. The very strong, persistent trade winds have developed a growing cold pool underneath the central Pacific. Honestly thought the Nina was going to fade late last winter. We're currently seeing one of the more peculiar cold ENSO events, where the third year may actually end up being the strongest. Winter Nina may be colder than -1.5C.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#785 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Ntxw wrote:Quick ENSO update regarding future weather for us. The very strong, persistent trade winds have developed a growing cold pool underneath the central Pacific. Honestly thought the Nina was going to fade late last winter. We're currently seeing one of the more peculiar cold ENSO events, where the third year may actually end up being the strongest. Winter Nina may be colder than -1.5C.

Wondering if this Nina dies hard in 2023 or if it continues all year again? That would be a record would it not?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#786 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:38 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Quick ENSO update regarding future weather for us. The very strong, persistent trade winds have developed a growing cold pool underneath the central Pacific. Honestly thought the Nina was going to fade late last winter. We're currently seeing one of the more peculiar cold ENSO events, where the third year may actually end up being the strongest. Winter Nina may be colder than -1.5C.

Wondering if this Nina dies hard in 2023 or if it continues all year again? That would be a record would it not?

It will die when the trades go away and there are successive WWBs. None of that is expected anytime soon. 2023? You would think so on paper. 4th year cold anything is extremely rare no less a 4th Nina.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#787 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:07 pm

Could this coming winter be even colder than ever? It is theoretically possible with a potential the 3rd/4th year very strong La Niña but it's anyone's guess right now.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#788 Postby aggiecutter » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:25 pm

As Mr. Spock would say, " Fascinating". However, I am not surprised:

0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#789 Postby bubba hotep » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:28 pm

lol

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#790 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:43 pm

aggiecutter wrote:As Mr. Spock would say, " Fascinating". However, I am not surprised:

[url]https://i.ibb.co/LNpdkNq/Heat.png [/url]

This is largely true for the central plains and high plains. But for those south of I-40 the more modern heat waves have been more severe. For the population centers of Texas the 1930s doesn't hold many records.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#791 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:56 pm

Ntxw wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:As Mr. Spock would say, " Fascinating". However, I am not surprised:

This is largely true for the central plains and high plains. But for those south of I-40 the more modern heat waves have been more severe. For the population centers of Texas the 1930s doesn't hold many records.

In my area, the early 1900s hold lots of records. 1902 was a particularly brutal year. Multiple 105+ days in June followed by 108 in July. :double:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#792 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:16 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

In my area, the early 1900s hold lots of records. 1902 was a particularly brutal year. Multiple 105+ days in June followed by 108 in July. :double:

This must have been a very localized event. The first few years of the early 1900s were amongst the coolest summers for DFW. 1903 being the coldest.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#793 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 pm

Flood watches in Phoenix with heavy rain. Salty.

While I understand July is typically a dry month we do average over 2". Another deficit month with 0.00" right now.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#794 Postby Edwards Limestone » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am

0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texoz
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#795 Postby Texoz » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:23 am

How bad would recent heatwaves in the US be if we were still using the same agricultural methods of 1920s/30s? Also, the rise in severe heat waves now are on a global scale.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#796 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 pm

Ensembles are in pretty good agreement a trough will dig into the PAC NW and W Can. Sometime early August we may exceed or match the hottest period thus far. Hopefully this will be the apex of summer and we can trend downward.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#797 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:51 pm

Ntxw wrote:Ensembles are in pretty good agreement a trough will dig into the PAC NW and W Can. Sometime early August we may exceed or match the hottest period thus far. Hopefully this will be the apex of summer and we can trend downward.

Usually August 1-10 is the hottest time for my area in climatology. I think we're going to have to watch out for Gulf activity afterwards though. Unlike 2011, this ridge is not sitting in one location all summer.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#798 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:36 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Ensembles are in pretty good agreement a trough will dig into the PAC NW and W Can. Sometime early August we may exceed or match the hottest period thus far. Hopefully this will be the apex of summer and we can trend downward.

Usually August 1-10 is the hottest time for my area in climatology. I think we're going to have to watch out for Gulf activity afterwards though. Unlike 2011, this ridge is not sitting in one location all summer.

Sincere question since I am not familiar with the Atlantic history that much, of the hot summers regionwide how many of them featured a tropical hit to TX? Right now region is top 5 warmest 1952, 1954, 1980, 1998, and 2011 are the DFW years.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#799 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Ntxw wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Sincere question since I am not familiar with the Atlantic history that much, of the hot summers regionwide how many of them featured a tropical hit to TX? Right now region is top 5 warmest.

I know that it was rather hot right before the 1900 Galveston Hurricane. 1980 also featured 3 TC hits to the state that year: TD 1, Hurricane Allen, and Tropical Storm Danielle. 1961 was the driest 1st half year on record for San Antonio and featured Carla. Also, 2008 was a top 5 featured year and featured Ike. I would have to look back at heat during those years though.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#800 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:02 pm

Ntxw wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

Sincere question since I am not familiar with the Atlantic history that much, of the hot summers regionwide how many of them featured a tropical hit to TX? Right now region is top 5 warmest 1952, 1954, 1980, 1998, and 2011 are the DFW years.

Off the top of my head, '98 had one. I dont think 2011.
We need the high to slip to the east, so the TC's can slip underneath the ridge towards Texas. I always joke, a Texas farmers dream is for a "weak depression to come in and sit on the state for a few days," but of course rarely happens. Unfortunately, this is just how Nina is. It's terrible. Almost to August. One more month of terrible heat for yall.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”