Texas Summer 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2021

#121 Postby Brent » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 pm

Ntxw wrote:I don't think it's getting enough attention but the heat wave coming to the Pac Nw and SW Canada might approach historic levels with all time highs broken from Seattle to Portland. This area of the country is not built for this kind of heat. The western drought is feeding back. 110+ in the valleys is crazy for a region that is used to 60s/70s.

Even for us 597dm contour spells hot hot hot imagine for them.

I was actually curious I know when I was in Seattle in the summer of 2017 a lot of places didn't even have A/C :double:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Portastorm wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
That's what I call a gully washer. I had about an inch today. This summer is likely going to stay wet too. Next week sure is looking pretty stormy.

I call it a toad strangler 8-)

In my part of Texas we call them Cen-tex Turd Floaters. :wink:

I call them a Washout . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

mcallum177
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#123 Postby mcallum177 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:28 am

Looking at the latest GFS has 118 in the puget sound. That's insane e. This is like when we were all model watching -10 in dfw back in February.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:10 am

mcallum177 wrote:Looking at the latest GFS has 118 in the puget sound. That's insane e. This is like when we were all model watching -10 in dfw back in February.

While that’s overdone, people will die if it gets above 100 there, and that’s certain. Scary.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby rwfromkansas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:19 am

I’m off next Friday to help my brother shoot off the professional fireworks at his little lake cabin neighborhood in Kansas. Weather looks great, mid-80s. That doesn’t happen for July 4. Usually 95 and humid up there. I just hope it’s not stormy….but it looks a bit.
2 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:Picked up 3.35” here this evening.

That's what I call a gully washer. I had about an inch today. This summer is likely going to stay wet too. Next week sure is looking pretty stormy.

The CPC forecast looks great for rain for the next couple weeks but the Euro and GFS don’t really show much, at least not for my area. They only have about 1-2” for the next 10 days. I mean that’s great but that doesn’t really scream out a stormy pattern to me or even above average rainfall for that matter. I don’t have access to the EPS but the GEFS doesn’t really have that much either. I’m not complaining though cuz I’m good on rain after what I had yesterday.

With daily summer showers, it is very difficult to say how much an area will get. Some may get 3 inches plus in one day like you. On the other hand, some areas may get little to no rain in one day. Global models are generally not very good at depicting local convective weather.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:50 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

The CPC forecast looks great for rain for the next couple weeks but the Euro and GFS don’t really show much, at least not for my area. They only have about 1-2” for the next 10 days. I mean that’s great but that doesn’t really scream out a stormy pattern to me or even above average rainfall for that matter. I don’t have access to the EPS but the GEFS doesn’t really have that much either. I’m not complaining though cuz I’m good on rain after what I had yesterday.

With daily summer showers, it is very difficult to say how much an area will get. Some may get 3 inches plus in one day like you. On the other hand, some areas may get little to no rain in one day. Global models are generally not very good at depicting local convective weather.

Yeah I like using the HRRR typically for the mesoscale models.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#128 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:32 am

Ridge placements in the Pacific Northwest and Northeastern US is perfect for us in the summer. Keeps below normal temps and above average chances for rainfall. As mentioned by some above the nature of warm season rainfall can be extreme with some locales under a tropical downpour getting several inches while a little nearby. But the odds for everyone increases. Dewpoints are 70 and above so gully washers. This pattern continues through the July 4th holiday. So likely below normal temps for the holiday weekend.

Meanwhile a historic heatwave is happening in the Northwest US and Southwest Canada. 111F for Portland is absurd, even in Dallas and Houston that's a top 5 heatwave. Remember their infrastructure is built for temps to be in the 70s or room temperature. It's a doozy.

The May pattern has established itself as the dominant summer player. Looks more like a 2007 summer than a 2011 one.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:36 am

Ntxw wrote:Ridge placements in the Pacific Northwest and Northeastern US is perfect for us in the summer. Keeps below normal temps and above average chances for rainfall. As mentioned by some above the nature of warm season rainfall can be extreme with some locales under a tropical downpour getting several inches while a little nearby. But the odds for everyone increases. Dewpoints are 70 and above so gully washers. This pattern continues through the July 4th holiday. So likely below normal temps for the holiday weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/k1zHSfL.gif

https://i.imgur.com/2wjSO4w.gif

https://i.imgur.com/L4FtV2U.gif

Meanwhile a historic heatwave is happening in the Northwest US and Southwest Canada. 111F for Portland is absurd, even in Dallas and Houston that's a top 5 heatwave. Remember their infrastructure is built for temps to be in the 70s or room temperature. It's a doozy.

Do you recall a Cooler La Nina Summer recently?
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#130 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Ridge placements in the Pacific Northwest and Northeastern US is perfect for us in the summer. Keeps below normal temps and above average chances for rainfall. As mentioned by some above the nature of warm season rainfall can be extreme with some locales under a tropical downpour getting several inches while a little nearby. But the odds for everyone increases. Dewpoints are 70 and above so gully washers. This pattern continues through the July 4th holiday. So likely below normal temps for the holiday weekend.

We are actually in neutral right now. Neutral can swing different ways, but 2021 has been dominated by the high latitude blocking either in the Pacific or Atlantic side which overall has kept us in a weakness all year. The Nina never had a strong grasp, but I'm thinking the recent low solar cycle had some effects on the blocking.

Even more evident in recent months.

Should this continue I would start considering Fall and Early winter to be blocky as well.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 am

Ntxw wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

We are actually in neutral right now. Neutral can swing different ways, but 2021 has been dominated by the high latitude blocking either in the Pacific or Atlantic side which overall has kept us in a weakness all year. The Nina never had a strong grasp, but I'm thinking the recent low solar cycle had some effects on the blocking.

https://i.imgur.com/Y0aV15p.png

Oh ok, But 111°F in Portland, OR is a LOT of damage, it would be bad here, but in the Pacific NW? That is just Torture!
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#132 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:35 pm

I know this is Texas thread but just historic event going on. Portland broke the all time record high and will break it again several more times in the coming days going 110+. Prior was 107 in it's recorded history.

https://twitter.com/NWSPortland/status/1408956182463610881

So far there have been 3 monstrous ridges in the Northern Plains, Southwest, and Pacific Northwest this summer season, quite an unprecedented feat. All three reading 600dm+ peaks at 500mb.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#133 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:40 pm

By comparison the official stations around the Texas Metros DFW, Houston IAH, Austin KAUS, and San Antonio KSAT, all have yet to reach 100F this year/summer.

Denver, Portland, Seattle have all gone above 100F.

If you believe long range guidance there's going to be another maxima ridge focused on the Northeastern sector of North America at some point into early July which could mean another heat wave once the Atlantic ridge connects, in particular the eastern US. It will then keep Texas /southern Plains beneath with cooler anomalies. This is a repeating pattern since last winter.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#134 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Ntxw wrote:By comparison the official stations around the Texas Metros DFW, Houston IAH, Austin KAUS, and San Antonio KSAT, all have yet to reach 100F this year/summer.

If you believe long range guidance there's going to be another maxima ridge focused on the Northeastern sector of North America at some point into early July which could mean another heat wave once the Atlantic ridge connects, in particular the eastern US. It will then keep Texas /southern Plains beneath with cooler anomalies. This is a repeating pattern since last winter.

I had not really thought of this, but you are correct!! So far a very anomolous year for almost all of Texas.
1 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

DonWrk
Category 1
Category 1

#135 Postby DonWrk » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:14 am

Will these massive ridges make a highway for tropical systems and steer them right in between or no?
0 likes   

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#136 Postby wxman22 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:59 am

DonWrk wrote:Will these massive ridges make a highway for tropical systems and steer them right in between or no?

To early to tell, but with a persistent weakness over the state. If a southeast ridge builds during August/September look out Texas....
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:39 pm

wxman22 wrote:
DonWrk wrote:Will these massive ridges make a highway for tropical systems and steer them right in between or no?

To early to tell, but with a persistent weakness over the state. If a southeast ridge builds during August/September look out Texas....

There is already an east coast ridge developing now. Hopefully it will not be there like you said later on.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:38 am

vbhoutex wrote:
Ntxw wrote:By comparison the official stations around the Texas Metros DFW, Houston IAH, Austin KAUS, and San Antonio KSAT, all have yet to reach 100F this year/summer.

I had not really thought of this, but you are correct!! So far a very anomolous year for almost all of Texas.

I know! The highest Temperature so far is 95 in Town! I’ve never thought this would happen!
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#139 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:56 am

Apex of heat wave in Pacific Northwest today. Portland is forecasted to be 114F and Seattle 111F (its previous all time record was 103F). By comparison DFW's record max is 113F from 1980.

In Texas rain is scattered across the state with temps in the 80s and low 90s.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:23 pm

Ntxw wrote:Apex of heat wave in Pacific Northwest today. Portland is forecasted to be 114F and Seattle 111F (its previous all time record was 103F). By comparison DFW's record max is 113F from 1980.

In Texas rain is scattered across the state with temps in the 80s and low 90s.

Now that we are well into meteorological summer, I suspect that the current pattern we are in is likely to continue for the remainder of the summer. We may have some occasional dry spells, but long-term dry weather is very unlikely at this point.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”