Super Storm of 93

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Super Cell
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Super Storm of 93

#1 Postby Super Cell » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:11 pm

Where were you living during the super storm of 93..lets discuss this while the weather is doing little...

I was living in Mississippi on the gulfcoast a town called ESCATAWPA :oops: this location was about 12 miles of the coast..i remember the weather channel refering to a big event about two days prior to its arrival..started here as a rain which became heavier as the evening got nearer..winds gusted at times to 50mph thunderstorms all around the area..about 6pm we had the frontal passage winds shifted and the temps just started a downward fall..by 7:30 rain mixed with sleet that went into a sleet with snow mixed..by 8:30 the biggest snow flakes i ever saw as big as the palm of your hands..wet snow clumping togeather...my high lite of the storm was THUNDER SNOW never seen it before i had heard of it but had never seen it what a trip!! any way it was in and out in a hurry by nidnight it had been reduced to flurries..where i lived about 1-2 inches of snow mainly because of the warm ground and the amount of water on the ground..25 miles north on the jackson george county line it was 4-6 inches..made for a big play day...maybe a super storm of 03.....nottttttttttttt 8)
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#2 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:26 pm

Wow..I made a post like this and topic on TWC at one time...since the anniversary is coming up here goes:

Superstorm 93

I was in the PA Army National Guard on the 13th of March 1993 and we got stranded. I was near Harrisburg in Hershey and had a Hummer out on the Turnpike doing recovery missions for people stuck in the snow. PENN DOT actually plowed ramps closed so people wouldnt venture out into the highway and risk their lives. You couldnt see anything...way too windy and the drifts kept measuring in feet. Plowing was useless. We rescued many people and fed them and gave them MRE's and blankets and phones to call out to loved ones.

I didnt get home from that drill for 4 days when the sun finally came out. It was unreal, even after 4 days the roads looked like snow tunnels. I went north to my hometown north of Scranton and we had more snow up on top of the hills I lived at: 46" and had many drifts around the front of our house, which faces a frozen lake at the time, that were up to the skylights on the roof.

It took 2 days just to clear a path to the road and equally 2 days to get the drive plowed out. Our lawn tractor blew the clutch out after that storm and we've never seen that much since. Locally in most places here and surrounding areas got 20-35", more on the higher elevations, like us. I never thought the snow would melt that year. I took measurements in the woods where it was alot calmer and better for measuring....sure enough 4 feet!

I have pictures that need to be scanned and I have a few where my car down at the Armory, was buried up to the sunroof....you couldnt even tell a car was there...just a lump! Our lake rose nearly a foot just from the extra ice and snow that year when Spring finally came, not to mention flooding from rains and runoff..made a mess!

Needless to say, that was one bad episode and 96 was bad as well here, although east in NJ got more, we still amassed 38" here . 1998 was wild as well. I have a home weather station here and that year it got knocked off my roof from an east wind ripping thru here at close to 100mph. Had to replace my rain gauge and rewire and put a new stronger mast up there!

Definitely wild times and many memories for sure! So much more to talk about but words cant describe even pictures, or videos taken at the time. Lets just hope that next time we'll be better prepared and hunker down for the next Big One!
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Stormsfury » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:36 pm

I was right here ... the morning started out very mild and actually had a line of thunderstorms come through (I'm about 15 miles NW of Charleston, SC) - The winds were incredible that day ... by 9 am, the winds were gusting to 60 mph, and it was 65.6 degrees. By 10 am, 56 degrees ... just a little while later, the peak gust of 74 mph was observed. Power outages all over, and the winds continued to howl - the average was 48 mph sustained with gusts to 64 mph. However, located where I'm at, we did get wraparound snow ... sleet fell at 41 degrees, and changed over to a fine light blowing snow (only a dusting of snow here) by 2 pm and the temperature was down to 34 degrees. This was the first and only time I have ever seen the temperature fall prolifically with a howling Southwest wind!!! - talk about a wrapped up storm!.

Charleston, SC peak wind 72 mph, Charleston, SC (Downtown - Waterfront Park) - 81 mph along with MT. Pleasant- 82 mph.

Myrtle Beach had 90 mph winds.

http://www.stormsfury1.com/Weather/Wint ... storm.html
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby isobar » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:37 pm

Rob - You should have Cantore breaking down your door to get you on Storm Stories, bud. :D

Stormsfury - The IR Sat. image on your site just takes my breath away!

My experience was relatively boring. I lived near Manchester, NH. I was soooooo ready for The Storm of the Century. Had extra water, wood, you name it. All in all - 18" and no power outage.

What a monster storm though! And how many days out it was forecast was astounding to me.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#5 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:45 pm

lol iso...that was my condensed version...usually I'm pretty detailed and long winded on topics like this...I will add to it more though once the 10 years comes around....gotta wait 30 days! lol
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”