Protection for the elderly

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jes
Category 1
Category 1

Protection for the elderly

#1 Postby jes » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:43 pm

Just wanted to post this option that worked very well for me this year. I was at a loss as far as what to do with my elderly parents when Dennis was coming. Last year I took them out of town, but that was a nightmare. I can't even get my dad into the van without help. Then I remembered respite care in nursing homes. For $275.00 I rented a one night room at a local nursing home with two beds. I was also able to stay as my parents caregiver. Nursing homes require a full staff during a storm so there were RN's and CNA's to help. They also have a generator so the lights never go out and we were served a full hot meal. It was much easier than taking two disabled people out of town and much less scary than keeping them alone at my house. $275 was also cheaper than leaving town. Oh -- and they let my mom bring her small dog.
0 likes   

HurriCat

#2 Postby HurriCat » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:20 am

Excellent post! This is perfect thinking, as I frequently read about folks with special needs trying to cope with storm issues. Even if someones' folks or friends in these situations live far away, you could still make some phone calls, set things up and talk to them about these kinds of options. You can even lay out a few bucks, too - especially for lodging and pet-boarding. All that parents do and have done is obvious, and they've earned this kind of help. Good friends and neighbors just plain deserve it. :D
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”