why board windows?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#21 Postby Persepone » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:04 am

stormie_skies wrote:,,, I have two skylights on my second floor that I have no idea how to cover - first of all, like I explained before, they are almost four stories up and I haven't a clue how to reach them, but more importantly, it looks like they bubble up on top - they arent in line with the shingles on the roof. ....

Go and read http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=67912

It sounds as if your skylights may not be a problem. On the other hand, it does sound as if plywood on the INSIDE might be better than nothing if the skylights did break... What I think I would do is see if I had extra plywood from the other window jobs that I could cut to fit inside the skylights. And I'd think about how to attach on the inside without serious damage to the inside of the windows--but probably would not actually attach the plywood unless the skylights breached--but that assumes that you could get at them quickly from inside and you are handy enough (and have cordless drill, etc.) to board up in storm conditions! If not, then I might put plywood inside as a preparation step. I think your solution depends upon how handy you are and how accessible the skylights are from inside your house, etc.

As for your greenhouse window, if I had one I think I would bring in all the plants, and then board up from "inside" so that if the hurricane got the window, I would not have a huge hole in my wall.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”