Do you prepare early or you wait to the last minute?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Do you prepare early or you wait the last minute rush?

I always prepare early in the season
64%
I wait for a hurricane watch to prepare
19%
I wait for a hurricane warning to prepare
6%
I wait until the last minute (Around 2 hours before landfall) to prepare
No votes
I dont prepare at all
6%
I dont prepare at all
6%

Total votes: 36

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Do you prepare early or you wait to the last minute?

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 22, 2005 8:01 pm

Another season is upon us and what we need to do early on is to get things ready in your house and be preparing because then when things get hot and threats are looming the famous rush comes.I am preparing early as I do every year as I dont like the last minute rush.No matter how many named storms form in 2005 it's a matter of how many of them make landfall.It only takes one system to do all the damage and change your life.

What about all of you?
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby LaBreeze » Mon May 23, 2005 8:36 am

Basic necessities early - some last minute stuff as usual.
0 likes   

wxwonder12
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby wxwonder12 » Mon May 23, 2005 9:09 am

I waited until the last minute last year and in the area I live there was nothing left and the people were fighting over anything they may find. I will not wait this year. After the second storm I had to go to Miami from Royal Palm Beach to get the essintials (milk, meat, water, bread ect) This year I will be way ahead of the game.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby x-y-no » Mon May 23, 2005 9:17 am

Have my kit stocked and ready now.

Only thing I need to do last minute is get cash and fill the gas tank.
0 likes   

cajungal
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Schriever, Louisiana (60 miles southwest of New Orleans)

#5 Postby cajungal » Mon May 23, 2005 9:19 am

We always wait until we are under a warning. We go to Wal-mart and fight the mad rush like every other crazy fool. It adds to the adrenaline rush.
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby LaBreeze » Mon May 23, 2005 11:11 am

Just like shopping at Christmas - there's always a late crowd. I'm pretty well stocked and prepared as usual. The last minute stuff would be gasoline and cash as mentioned previously.
0 likes   

Agua
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Agua » Mon May 23, 2005 11:23 am

I do partial prep early, e.g., water, batteries. After following the development of the storm and considering factors affecting steering, I rely upon the mets here before putting up boards, whether there's a watch / warning, or not.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Mon May 23, 2005 11:29 am

LaBreeze wrote:Basic necessities early - some last minute stuff as usual.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby CentralFlGal » Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 am

We're halfway there already. Water and canned goods are stocked, deep freezer is getting a steady stream of re-filled and treated water jugs to keep stuff frozen if the power goes out (and for drinking after thawing). Important documents are close to a "grab and go" status. Getting more plywood soon.

Many Floridians are waiting for the tax free period (June 1-12) to stock up. The Department of Revenue has a list of items and prices the sales tax exemption applies to.

http://www.myflorida.com/dor/

There will still be a rush on generators, but it will occur a tad bit earlier this year :lol:
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Do you prepare early or you wait to the last minute?

#10 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 am

cycloneye wrote:Another season is upon us and what we need to do early on is to get things ready in your house and be preparing because then when things get hot and threats are looming the famous rush comes.I am preparing early as I do every year as I dont like the last minute rush.No matter how many named storms form in 2005 it's a matter of how many of them make landfall.It only takes one system to do all the damage and change your life.

What about all of you?

one thing i learned during frances was the liquor stores get real crowded about 6-8 hours before everything is getting ready to shutdwon so for jeanne i was there two days in advance.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Do you prepare early or you wait to the last minute?

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Mon May 23, 2005 11:31 am

jlauderdal wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Another season is upon us and what we need to do early on is to get things ready in your house and be preparing because then when things get hot and threats are looming the famous rush comes.I am preparing early as I do every year as I dont like the last minute rush.No matter how many named storms form in 2005 it's a matter of how many of them make landfall.It only takes one system to do all the damage and change your life.

What about all of you?

one thing i learned during frances was the liquor stores get real crowded about 6-8 hours before everything is getting ready to shutdwon so for jeanne i was there two days in advance.

Now that is what I call stocking up on the basic necessities!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby southerngale » Mon May 23, 2005 11:32 am

vbhoutex wrote:
LaBreeze wrote:Basic necessities early - some last minute stuff as usual.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby CentralFlGal » Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 am

:roflmao:

ABC Liquor and Blockbuster were both okay between each storm last year. All the patrons would snicker and wink at each other while thanking the heavens that they didn't have to fight the crowds at the grocery stores or gas stations.
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby GulfBreezer » Mon May 23, 2005 12:05 pm

I can't reply to the poll because my choice is not there.....up until last year, we prepared pretty much the last minute, but this year if a diff story. With the tax free days coming soon, we will be getting EVERYTHING ready very early!!
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby skysummit » Mon May 23, 2005 12:47 pm

My work supplies the majority of my hurricane kit in case I'm stranded somewhere, but I do usually wait until something is threatening the Gulf to get last minute items. We do keep the "norms" on hand early though simply because they won't go bad....and if we don't have a storm, they'll get used anyway!
0 likes   

HurryKane
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby HurryKane » Mon May 23, 2005 1:44 pm

skysummit wrote:My work supplies the majority of my hurricane kit in case I'm stranded somewhere

So does mine, for workplace preparedness at least. It consists of a 4'x4' piece of visquine to drape ever so lovingly over two computers, two monitors, and a printer spread over a 6' span.

Heh.
0 likes   

krysof

#17 Postby krysof » Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm

since I live in New Jersey, I don't prepare at all
0 likes   

BayouVenteux
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby BayouVenteux » Mon May 23, 2005 2:26 pm

Being that we're far enough inland (12 miles from the nearest area remotely susceptible to any potential storm surge effects) and high enough elevation (ancient Mississippi River bluffs...I'm at 22 feet above MSL, a half-mile from me it abruptly drops to 5-6 feet.) there's no need to worry about evacuating. That being said, we are still susceptible to the high winds, torrential downpours and the real possibility of several days without power. I usually purchase the fresh batteries, candles and get the extra propane tank replenished at the start of the season. Otherwise, I already have a pretty extensive inventory of good camping gear from the years of having two sons in Boy Scouts that would ably service as the storm kit if we get another one moving through here anytime soon. About the only thing I have to do close to "last minute" is start cranking out ice and purchasing what I can't make. As a rule, if it's a category 3 or higher and forecast to move into the central Gulf of Mexico, I start making ice and packing any available freezer space, transferring it to the 3 Igloo chests I own. Memories of the extreme difficulty in locating ice after Hurricane Andrew have since made it a priority whenever we have a threat in the Gulf.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 23, 2005 2:29 pm

I moved this poll into this forum as I think is the better one to discuss about preparedness.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

patsmsg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby patsmsg » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:37 pm

I definitely prepare early.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”