LED Flashlights...

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurriCat

LED Flashlights...

#1 Postby HurriCat » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:58 pm

I wanted to pop-in and tell folks about LED flashlights. These use a (L)ight (E)mitting (D)iode instead of a bulb. They generate very little heat, and the batteries last up to twenty times longer than in conventional lights.

You can find good LED lights that take standard battery types, too, such as AA, AAA and even 9volt transistor type ones. One that I have and love is the PAL Light. These have a rubberized coating and feature brightness settings and also a strobe/emergency flash. Mine has a soft glow that is always on, good enough for a night light, yet it barely drains the battery. I am also looking into order some Pak-Lites - little LED units that clip right on top of a 9volt battery. They are trail/hike proven, and have survived some interesting "torture testing". Do a search for "Pak-Lite" and you'll find them. About twenty bucks, so shop around - it's amazing how much prices vary (shipping, too). One more light that I like is the Energizer Trailfinder. It has a bright LED and also a small but bright florescent tube in the handgrip. The battery cover pops off too easily for me to recommend it for outdoor/emergency use, but just in the house for reading and whatnot - great. There is a orange-colored version of this same light, called the Energizer Double-Bright. I saw it at Office Depot.

LED lights give good, clean light and will really get you more bang for your battery bucks. They are also tougher than bulbs if dropped. Just remembered: I have a couple of single-LED lights from Lowe's or Home Depot that are small, yellow and have a cool pull-on/off switch. You can wear it on the cord that it comes with and just pull to click it on and off. Goes for about 5 bucks.
0 likes   

USCG_Hurricane_Watcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby USCG_Hurricane_Watcher » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:53 pm

LED's are definitely the way to go. I'm starting to see Aids to Navigation with LEDs instead of the typical bulbs....
0 likes   

Windsong
Category 1
Category 1

wind up

#3 Postby Windsong » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:23 am

I found one that winds up. All you do to recharge it is wind it for about a minute. Lasts a long time too. Small, compact, but powerful. I found it on QVC for $19.
0 likes   

Scott_inVA
Storm2k Forecaster
Storm2k Forecaster

Re: LED Flashlights...

#4 Postby Scott_inVA » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Some may not know this but I work for the Boy Scouts of America (I really don't do weather 24/7 but it seems like that right now :roll: ) LED flashlights are becoming commonplace at camps and on hikes. All benefits HurriCat mentions are true from my experience. I recommend the blue LED lights as they are bright but don't blind nearby people. Some have warning strobes and float.

I spend a fair amount of time advising Emergency Preparedness and First Aid and weather classes and strongly urge people to have a couple of these lights in their emergency kits or BOBs (bug out bags).

Thanks for bringing up a good suggestion.

Now everyone...Be Prepared :wink:

Scott
0 likes   

Tommedic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Thanks for the info

#5 Postby Tommedic » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:45 am

I am looking at my flashlights again. As noted battery life is an issue. I appreciate the info. Thnaks about QVC. I'll check Net as well as local.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby Persepone » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:26 pm

The LED flashlights (various configurations, manufacturers, etc.) are on sale at http://www.Campmor.com

These guys sell lots of stuff for your hurricane/emergency kit... Take a look at their web specials, etc.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”