Keeping your cool?

This will be the place to find all your hurricane prep information. Whether it be preparing your home, family, pets or evacuation plans here is where to find the information you need.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StrongWind
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Keeping your cool?

#1 Postby StrongWind » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:46 pm

I was w/o power 2x last year for up to a week and it was miserable. Hot, 99% humidity, and absolutely no breeze so opening windows didn't do much good.

A generator is not possible right now. What suggestions do people have to stay cool, or at least comfortable, after a hurricane? And where to get the stuff they recommend.

Thanks
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:50 pm

I've heard a lot of talk about those little, handheld, battery-operated personal fans being lifesavers for hot days after the hurricanes last year.

They tend to be somewhat costly at souvenir shops, but not as much at places like Wal-Mart.
0 likes   

Swimdude
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Swimdude » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:I've heard a lot of talk about those little, handheld, battery-operated personal fans being lifesavers for hot days after the hurricanes last year.

They tend to be somewhat costly at souvenir shops, but not as much at places like Wal-Mart.

Absolutely an excellent idea. They work great at Houston swim meets, I know that much! :D
0 likes   

HurriCat

#4 Postby HurriCat » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:48 am

There are also the little fans that have a spray-bottle or "mister" attached. A trick I use in my non-AC'd truck is to take a 20 oz. soda bottle, filled w. water and frozen the night before. For quite a while, you can rub your face, neck and especially your EARS with the cold, wet bottle as the ice melts. If you just freeze a small bottle of drinking water from the get-go, you also have a cold drink that lasts a good while, too. I think that if you had the freezer space, it might be good to put in a supply of the small to medium sized bottle-waters (plastic bottles), and have 'em ready.

You can also keep a clean washcloth handy, and gradually soak it with the condensation on the bottle as it thaws. A good facial with a cold, wet cloth is pretty refreshing. You could use a larger cloth, like a hand towel, and wrap your bottle up to insulate it and also end up with a damp-to-wet (and cold) wrapper to hold to your face, etc. Look for the little fans NOW, as they really go fast. Do not store them with batteries installed. There are also the mister-packs for the beach or working outdoors. These are small bottles, usually in an insulated pouch, with a pump and small hose the spray mist over you.

I have to add: Right after the storm, take it easy. Your instinct and nervousness will make you want to hurry up and make your house, yard and neighborhood normal again. Here in Florida in July/August, that can make for heat-stroke pretty quick. Here in Orlando/Goldenrod area, the morning after Charley, people were mowing their lawns! By staying cooler to begin with, it's easier to stay comfortable. And watch it - pouring cold water on your over-heated head, or drinking cold water, can really lay you out.
0 likes   

cswitwer
Category 1
Category 1

cooling.

#5 Postby cswitwer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:55 am

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how this works, and you'll want to consult somebody before taking it. (Even tho I didn't. wink wink)

Chinese herbalists & some health food stores sell a tea-like powder or a more potent liquid extract of Chysantemum. I love this stuff! I use the extract. It doesn't really taste like anything, and it's clear. 2 drops (not droppers, just drops) in a glass of water will help drop your body temp. Chinese herbalists use it for people with menopause and other body temp issues. I have multiple sclerosis & can't cool off when I need to. Chysantemum does the trick. Colder water gets the best result, but is not necessary.

Don't overdose on it-- you'll get a bad tummy ache. Trust me on that! I thought that doubling the size of the water glass meant I should double the number of drops so that it wouldn't get diluted. Which was wrong!

Regardless, I LOVE THIS STUFF!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Preparation”