A Question Concerning WX Forecasting Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
StarmanHDB
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

A Question Concerning WX Forecasting Models

#1 Postby StarmanHDB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 pm

A quick question on models....

Obviously, the various wx forecasting models are the result of many years of painstaking research based on many years of mounds of collected data regarding (in this case) the life cycles of countless tropical systems. While I know that science definitely plays the key role in the story behind wx models, what impact do the scientists themselves play in wx modeling? The old adage of "garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind. No, I'm not stating that wx modeling is garbage; on the contrary, I'm 100 percent certain that severe storm models have helped save countless lives. What I am saying is that although science is supposed to be exact (well, I'm not so sure about atmospheric sciences--way too many variables involved) and unbiased, meteorologists, physicists, and atmospheric scientists are imperfect humans whose lives are filled with biases, agendas, investors, and bosses. All this said, which of the tropical wx forecasting models are the considered the most conservative, the most liberal, appear traditionally moderate, and are recognized as the most accurate in both long-range and short-range forecasting AND WHY? Although I am far from being any type of conspiracy theorist, the 'why' is something I've pondered for some time and with potential monsters beating on our front doors, now is as good as time as any to run this by a very knowledgeable crowd.

Thanks!
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”