2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1741 Postby weeniepatrol » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:47 pm

Furthermore, we are only behind 2021 for July because the opposite phase of the MJO was overhead.

0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1742 Postby aspen » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:04 pm

skyline385 wrote:Yea that’s some ridiculous ridging on the weekly, everything is pushed below the Antilles till end of August. This is definitely suspect imo. EPAC still at it because of it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220714/e7c203361c94c6a689d3af9fac61402d.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220714/2b4fd7688c8cf80dd209ebcd0618d3e5.jpg

Maybe it’s just the Euro going overboard with the ridging like it sometimes does…but it has been rather accurate or even under-estimating it, like with Bonnie.

It feels like something changed starting in early October last year, with excessive ridging that prevents Atlantic development and an unusually active EPac for a strong Nina year. We saw this in the last two months of the 2021 season, with every tropical wave running into SA/CA and two landfalling EPac hurricanes. Then once the 2022 season started, the trend continued; the EPac started off with a Mexico hurricane landfall and has pumped out 4 (or 5 consecutive) hurricanes, while Bonnie barely existed in the Atlantic because ridging was too strong.

I’m starting to get suspect about this season. It feels like there’s a key factor we’ve missed — Triple-dip Nina seasons are so rare that it wouldn’t be surprising if we did miss some factor associated with one — and it could end up resulting in far lower activity/ACE than most forecasts called for. Maybe activity closer to 2018 than 2017/20/21. Maybe the Atlantic ends up being suppressed for a good portion of ASO and we get a near-average season. Or maybe I end up eating my words in 4-6 weeks.
7 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1743 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:11 pm

Chances of a Tropical Depression (EPS calls them Tropical Cyclone for whatever reason) have gone up from last weekly

1 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1744 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:25 pm

aspen wrote:
skyline385 wrote:Yea that’s some ridiculous ridging on the weekly, everything is pushed below the Antilles till end of August. This is definitely suspect imo. EPAC still at it because of it.

Maybe it’s just the Euro going overboard with the ridging like it sometimes does…but it has been rather accurate or even under-estimating it, like with Bonnie.

It feels like something changed starting in early October last year, with excessive ridging that prevents Atlantic development and an unusually active EPac for a strong Nina year. We saw this in the last two months of the 2021 season, with every tropical wave running into SA/CA and two landfalling EPac hurricanes. Then once the 2022 season started, the trend continued; the EPac started off with a Mexico hurricane landfall and has pumped out 4 (or 5 consecutive) hurricanes, while Bonnie barely existed in the Atlantic because ridging was too strong.

I’m starting to get suspect about this season. It feels like there’s a key factor we’ve missed — Triple-dip Nina seasons are so rare that it wouldn’t be surprising if we did miss some factor associated with one — and it could end up resulting in far lower activity/ACE than most forecasts called for. Maybe activity closer to 2018 than 2017/20/21. Maybe the Atlantic ends up being suppressed for a good portion of ASO and we get a near-average season. Or maybe I end up eating my words in 4-6 weeks.

The EPAC trend from last year is very interesting. Also, in addition to the ridging, the MJO isn't helping as well. Both the EPS weekly and extended GEFS now how it parked and suppressing the Atlantic. GEFS does have a small break of rising cell but we will have to see if its enough.

0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1745 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:26 pm

aspen wrote:

In quiet periods like this, I tend to shift my eyes to other basins to get a clue as to what may happen going forward. The EPAC (as you mentioned) seems to be receiving all of the moisture from Africa and allowing it to generate storms. But then you look at the WPAC, and it's eerily quiet there. It honestly amazes me at how the EPAC is able to be this active in a third year La Nina, but it amazes me even further with how the EPAC is even beating the WPAC in total activity thus far. I mean, you would think that if Pacific conditions were indeed favorable, then both the WPAC and the EPAC would be lighting up, but that's simply not the case. In fact, models do not seem to be very enthusiastic about WPAC activity for the rest of this month.

Now as for third year La Ninas, the sample size is indeed very small, but if we were to look at some of the most talked about analog years for this year (1996, 1999, 2000, 2008, and 2011), none of those years seemed to have an extremely potent ridging issue that really capped activity. I genuinely think that this ridging thing is temporary, it's hard to believe that we would have a season with so strong of such that we get near or only slightly above average activity. Not to mention if anything, the traditional Atlantic Ocean track favors recurves rather than slamming into South America haha
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1746 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:33 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:

In quiet periods like this, I tend to shift my eyes to other basins to get a clue as to what may happen going forward. The EPAC (as you mentioned) seems to be receiving all of the moisture from Africa and allowing it to generate storms. But then you look at the WPAC, and it's eerily quiet there. It honestly amazes me at how the EPAC is able to be this active in a third year La Nina, but it amazes me even further with how the EPAC is even beating the WPAC in total activity thus far. I mean, you would think that if Pacific conditions were indeed favorable, then both the WPAC and the EPAC would be lighting up, but that's simply not the case. In fact, models do not seem to be very enthusiastic about WPAC activity for the rest of this month.

Now as for third year La Ninas, the sample size is indeed very small, but if we were to look at some of the most talked about analog years for this year (1996, 1999, 2000, 2008, and 2011), none of those years seemed to have an extremely potent ridging issue that really capped activity. I genuinely think that this ridging thing is temporary, it's hard to believe that we would have a season with so strong of such that we get near or only slightly above average activity. Not to mention if anything, the traditional Atlantic Ocean track favors recurves rather than slamming into South America haha

The WPAC is currently at less than half its average ACE and 17 of its current 22.4 ACE was generated from Malakas back in April, thats how bad it is doing currently :D

0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1747 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:35 pm

So, is this season still showing overall favorable set up? Getting mixed feelings in this thread. Any METS with an opinion? Just curious.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#1748 Postby WiscoWx02 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:19 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:So, is this season still showing overall favorable set up? Getting mixed feelings in this thread. Any METS with an opinion? Just curious.

We are just at the time of year where the models show nothing and edge away from favorability and people start to second guess if it will be an active season. Happens every year, definitely think this season will be on the more active side still. Still stand by active but not hyperactive.
2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1749 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:24 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:So, is this season still showing overall favorable set up? Getting mixed feelings in this thread. Any METS with an opinion? Just curious.

Still too early to say anything imo, remember 1999 (which is Webb's favorite analog at the moment) also was completely quiet till mid-August and then went bonkers to get ACE to 177. However, 99 was a second year Nina which strengthened intensely during the season.

1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1750 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:42 pm

I'm in the active not hyperactive camp. I think we've seen a lot of over hyping so far this season. The only thing we know at this point is that we don't know in my opinion.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1751 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:45 pm

Yeah I'm also in the active but not hyperactive group. My preseason poll numbers were 19/9/4 and I still think that will be roughly what this season ends up with. So pretty active but not anything extreme.
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1752 Postby AtlanticWind » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:06 pm

I dont believe a inactive mid july means anything, it is very normal
High pressure almost always strengthens and SAL is usually at its peak.

As we get into the last week of July and first week of August an uptick in activity
becomes a little more possible and after that chances increase exponentially.

We will see how conditions evolve as we get into August but nothing happening
now means much on this seasons potential activity. Also storms that form
in July are generally weaker and less impactfull anyway with a few rare exceptions.

Just my thoughts on the season so far.
4 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1753 Postby toad strangler » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:13 pm

AtlanticWind wrote:I dont believe a inactive mid july means anything, it is very normal
High pressure almost always strengthens and SAL is usually at its peak.

As we get into the last week of July and first week of August an uptick in activity
becomes a little more possible and after that chances increase exponentially.

We will see how conditions evolve as we get into August but nothing happening
now means much on this seasons potential activity. Also storms that form
in July are generally weaker and less impactfull anyway with a few rare exceptions.

Just my thoughts on the season so far.

Agree with your main sentiments and I just posted similar content in another thread that probably belongs here …..

In May and June there was some teeth grinding over the lack of pre season or early season shorties as if it was new climatology for the Atlantic Basin to expect them.

That, IMO translates into more and more unfounded expectations for a period like all of July into the first half of August where it’s standard climatology to see SAL ridden mid lever dry air and wind shear across much of the usual development zones.
3 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1754 Postby Blown Away » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:28 pm

skyline385 wrote:

Still too early to say anything imo, remember 1999 (which is Webb's favorite analog at the moment) also was completely quiet till mid-August and then went bonkers to get ACE to 177. However, 99 was a second year Nina which strengthened intensely during the season.

https://i.imgur.com/4nEyynu.png

Current modeling suggests strong HP and action in the lower latitudes moving into Caribbean. 1999 had many Central & Western Atlantic recurves. Floyd in NC, Bret in TX, and wrong way Lenny were the biggies. If we are leaning on current modeling, IMO 99 is not a good analog.
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1755 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:08 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#1756 Postby underthwx » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:36 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:

Would you be able to make a comparison to last year's season in the WPAC, to the season this year so far? I wonder if the weather patterns are similar to 2021?
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1757 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:14 pm

underthwx wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:
aspen wrote:Maybe it’s just the Euro going overboard with the ridging like it sometimes does…but it has been rather accurate or even under-estimating it, like with Bonnie.

Would you be able to make a comparison to last year's season in the WPAC, to the season this year so far? I wonder if the weather patterns are similar to 2021?

*See the WPAC thread for a discussion on this*
Last edited by Category5Kaiju on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1758 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:36 pm

FYI= There is a thread for 2022 WPAC Season, thank you.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1759 Postby LarryWx » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:49 am

aspen wrote: I’m starting to get suspect about this season. It feels like there’s a key factor we’ve missed — Triple-dip Nina seasons are so rare that it wouldn’t be surprising if we did miss some factor associated with one — and it could end up resulting in far lower activity/ACE than most forecasts called for. Maybe activity closer to 2018 than 2017/20/21. Maybe the Atlantic ends up being suppressed for a good portion of ASO and we get a near-average season. Or maybe I end up eating my words in 4-6 weeks.

I think you MAY be onto something. Although there isn't a large sample, there are just enough third year La Nina seasons (seven) to make me feel it's worth it to analyze them. So, I just did so. What I found is the suggestion that third year La Nina seasons tend to be a good bit quieter than the respective prior (second year La Nina) seasons. Not a guarantee by any means but just a significant tendency. To find third year La Nina seasons, I used Eric Webb's ONI table for prior to 1950 and the CPC ONI table for 1950+. Here they are: 1874, 1894, 1910, 1917, 1956, 1975, and 2000.

1874: not as impactful nor as potent as 1873 though one H hit the FL panhandle

1894: not nearly as impactful nor as potent as the big impacting 1893 though it was still impactful and potent with one H hitting the FL Panhandle and another H hitting SW FL

1910: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as the big impacting 1909 though a MH hit SW FL

1917: not as impactful nor nearly as potent as 1916 though a MH hit the FL panhandle

1956: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as the big impacting 1955 though H Flossy hit the FL panhandle

1975: not nearly as impactful as though slightly more potent than 1974 with 1 MH hitting the FL Panhandle (Eloise)

2000: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as 1999 but it still was pretty impactful and potent, including 2 TS hits in FL Panhandle (Gordon and Helene)

So, this suggests to me for third year La Nina seasons:
- a tendency to be both less impactful and potent than the prior season
- a tendency for W FL to be hit by at least one strong TS to MH, especially the FL panhandle

Some more comparisons of the seven third year Nina seasons to the prior (second year Nina) seasons:
- # of MH ~50% lower on average (2.0 v 3.9)
- # of MH landfalls ~60% lower on average (1.3 vs 3.3)
- # of deaths ~95% lower on average (~150 vs ~2,800 with deaths far lower than prior year all seven years)
- $ of damage range 72% to 99.7% lower
- ACE 40% lower on average (79 vs 133)

So, let's see whether or not 2022 ends up less impactful and less potent than 2021. With 2021 having had quite an impact ($81 billion damage) as well as having been potent (146 ace), 2022 could still be very impactful and rather potent even if a good bit weaker.
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1760 Postby Blown Away » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:41 am

LarryWx wrote:
aspen wrote: I’m starting to get suspect about this season. It feels like there’s a key factor we’ve missed — Triple-dip Nina seasons are so rare that it wouldn’t be surprising if we did miss some factor associated with one — and it could end up resulting in far lower activity/ACE than most forecasts called for. Maybe activity closer to 2018 than 2017/20/21. Maybe the Atlantic ends up being suppressed for a good portion of ASO and we get a near-average season. Or maybe I end up eating my words in 4-6 weeks.

I think you MAY be onto something. Although there isn't a large sample, there are just enough third year La Nina seasons (seven) to make me feel it's worth it to analyze them. So, I just did so. What I found is the suggestion that third year La Nina seasons tend to be a good bit quieter than the respective prior (second year La Nina) seasons. Not a guarantee by any means but just a significant tendency. To find third year La Nina seasons, I used Eric Webb's ONI table for prior to 1950 and the CPC ONI table for 1950+. Here they are: 1874, 1894, 1910, 1917, 1956, 1975, and 2000.

1874: not as impactful nor as potent as 1873 though one H hit the FL panhandle

1894: not nearly as impactful nor as potent as the big impacting 1893 though it was still impactful and potent with one H hitting the FL Panhandle and another H hitting SW FL

1910: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as the big impacting 1909 though a MH hit SW FL

1917: not as impactful nor nearly as potent as 1916 though a MH hit the FL panhandle

1956: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as the big impacting 1955 though H Flossy hit the FL panhandle

1975: not nearly as impactful as though slightly more potent than 1974 with 1 MH hitting the FL Panhandle (Eloise)

2000: not nearly as impactful nor nearly as potent as 1999 but it still was pretty impactful and potent, including 2 TS hits in FL Panhandle (Gordon and Helene)

So, this suggests to me for third year La Nina seasons:
- a tendency to be both less impactful and potent than the prior season
- a tendency for W FL to be hit by at least one strong TS to MH, especially the FL panhandle

Some more comparisons of the seven third year Nina seasons to the prior (second year Nina) seasons:
- # of MH ~50% lower on average (2.0 v 3.9)
- # of MH landfalls ~60% lower on average (1.3 vs 3.3)
- # of deaths ~95% lower on average (~150 vs ~2,800 with deaths far lower than prior year all seven years)
- $ of damage range 72% to 99.7% lower
- ACE 40% lower on average (79 vs 133)

So, let's see whether or not 2022 ends up less impactful and less potent than 2021. With 2021 having had quite an impact ($81 billion damage) as well as having been potent (146 ace), 2022 could still be very impactful and rather potent even if a good bit weaker.

LarryWx, here is a map of the analog years you selected. IMO, very representative of what we may see. Early development in Central Atlantic and recurve, long trackers into CA/MX from strong HP, and late season Western Caribbean action. All typical of a La Nina type pattern. JMHO
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”