2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / CPC June update on the 13th

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

#341 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sun May 19, 2024 12:38 pm

Can you tell La Niña is coming?
3 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#342 Postby Kingarabian » Sun May 19, 2024 1:21 pm

Strong westerlies over the equatorial IO is a great indicator.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

#343 Postby Woofde » Mon May 20, 2024 8:42 am

Equatorial SOI has reached neutral levels. This agrees with the traditional SOI metric, which has also just about returned to baseline. It looks like we've reached true neutral by most atmospheric and oceanic metrics. Now it's time to see how deep the transition goes.Image
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / CPC weekly update= Niño 3.4 down to +0.2C

#344 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 am

CPC weekly update has niño 3.4 in warm neutral at +0.2C, but they still have not declared that el niño has ended as they will do it on June 13th.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#345 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 21, 2024 6:56 am

The ENSO plume consensus of all the dynamic models has weak la niña for the peak of the season ASO.

https://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/ ... -sst_table

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 ENSO Updates= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#346 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 9:09 am

cycloneye wrote:The ENSO plume consensus of all the dynamic models has weak la niña for the peak of the season ASO.

https://i.imgur.com/xaGLURL.jpeg

Indeed, the dynamic model avg ONI for ASO is -0.557, low end weak La Niña. That means that the implied RONI prog for ASO is in the low to mid moderate La Niña range…-1.0 to -1.2. For the CONUS per analogs I’ve studied, the -1.0 would be higher risk vs normal for FL Atlantic coast and up E coast vs a -1.2 implying highest risk in CONUS vs normal further west on Gulf coast with nearer normal E coast of FL and up E coast of US. The general idea is for the highest risk for US E coast including FL vs its normal risk to be if ASO RONI is weak to low end moderate La Niña vs that highest US risk vs normal shifting westward to Gulf coast if ASO RONI is middle grade moderate to strong La Niña. If I’m not mistaken, that normal risk to US Gulf coast is somewhat higher than normal risk to US E coast. Someone please correct me with data if this isn’t correct.
Last edited by LarryWx on Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#347 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 am

LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:The ENSO plume consensus of all the dynamic models has weak la niña for the peak of the season ASO.

Indeed, the dynamic model avg ONI for ASO is -0.557, low end weak La Niña. That means that the implied RONI prog for ASO is in the low to mid moderate La Niña range…-1.0 to -1.2. For the CONUS per analogs I’ve studied, the -1.0 would be higher risk vs normal for FL Atlantic coast and up E coast vs a -1.2 implying highest risk in CONUS vs normal further west on Gulf coast with nearer normal E coast of FL and up E coast of US. The general idea is for the highest risk for US E coast including FL vs its normal risk to be if ASO RONI is weak La Niña vs that highest US risk vs normal shifting westward to Gulf coast if ASO RONI is moderate to strong La Niña. If I’m not mistaken, that normal risk to US Gulf coast is somewhat higher than normal risk to US E coast. Someone please correct me with data if this isn’t correct.

What is the risk for the Caribbrean with weak La Niña?
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#348 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 9:35 am

cycloneye wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

Indeed, the dynamic model avg ONI for ASO is -0.557, low end weak La Niña. That means that the implied RONI prog for ASO is in the low to mid moderate La Niña range…-1.0 to -1.2. For the CONUS per analogs I’ve studied, the -1.0 would be higher risk vs normal for FL Atlantic coast and up E coast vs a -1.2 implying highest risk in CONUS vs normal further west on Gulf coast with nearer normal E coast of FL and up E coast of US. The general idea is for the highest risk for US E coast including FL vs its normal risk to be if ASO RONI is weak La Niña vs that highest US risk vs normal shifting westward to Gulf coast if ASO RONI is moderate to strong La Niña. If I’m not mistaken, that normal risk to US Gulf coast is somewhat higher than normal risk to US E coast. Someone please correct me with data if this isn’t correct.

I honestly don’t know. Plus even if I knew, it probably would vary based on what portion of the Caribbean is being analyzed since it is pretty large. But if I were to make a wild guess based on common storm tracks, I’d say that the US E coast risk would probably be highest vs its normal when NE Caribbean risk is highest vs its normal. I’d also guess that the threat to the US Gulf coast would be highest vs its normal when the threat to the NW Caribbean is at its highest vs its normal.
So, my wild guess is that a weak to low end moderate RONI based La Niña during ASO would mean higher than normal risk to NE Caribbean but a stronger La Niña would perhaps shift that highest risk vs normal further W in the Caribbean.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#349 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 21, 2024 9:47 am

LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

I honestly don’t know. Plus even if I knew, it probably would vary based on what portion of the Caribbean is being analyzed since it is pretty large. But if I were to make a wild guess based on common storm tracks, I’d say that the US E coast risk would probably be highest vs its normal when NE Caribbean risk is highest vs its normal. I’d also guess that the threat to the US Gulf coast would be highest vs its normal when the threat to the NW Caribbean is at its highest vs its normal.
So, my wild guess is that a weak to low end moderate RONI based La Niña during ASO would mean higher than normal risk to NE Caribbean but a stronger La Niña would perhaps shift that highest risk vs normal further W in the Caribbean.

Thanks Larrywx. Interesting the shift from one area (NE Caribbean) to (NW Caribbean) depending on La Niña strengh.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#350 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 9:57 am

cycloneye wrote:
LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:

Thanks LarryWx. Interesting the shift from one area (NE Caribbean) to (NW Caribbean) depending on La Niña strengh.

You’re welcome. Keep in mind that’s just a wild guess and it is a guess vs each area’s normal. It isn’t based on actual storm data. Someone could look at the worst storms to hit each section of the Caribbean during ASO RONI based La Niña over a multi-decadal long period and see if there’s a tendency for a shift for different strengths of La Niña. That would probably be time consuming and still may not yield a definitive result.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Breaking news: Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#351 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 21, 2024 10:25 am

Found a good graphic of U.S CONUS landfall with the different strenghs of La Niña, Neutral and El Niño.

4 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Breaking news: Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#352 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 12:01 pm

cycloneye wrote:Found a good graphic of U.S CONUS landfall with the different strenghs of La Niña, Neutral and El Niño.

https://i.imgur.com/cU5V3Ev.jpeg

Thanks, Luis!

After seeing this, I decided to do an analysis of CONUS landfalls for RONI ASO -0.50 to -1.00 vs sub -1.00. E = east coast and G = Gulf coast including FL Keys; if storm landfalled on both as a H, I counted it as 1/2 E and 1/2 G (1995’s Erin and 2022’s Ian)

ASO RONI -0.50 to -1.00: every season at least 1
1954: 3 (3E)
1955: 2 (2E)
1964: 4 (2E, 2G)
1970: 1 (1G)
1983: 1 (1G)
1995: 2 (0.5E, 1.5G)
1999: 3 (1E, 2G)
2011: 1 (1E)
2017: 3 (3G)
2021: 2 (2G)
AVG: 2.20 (0.95E, 1.25G)

ASO RONI sub -1.00: less active avg despite 2020
1973: 0
1975: 1 (1G)
1988: 1 (1G)
1998: 3 (1E, 2G)
2007: 1 (1G)
2010: 0
2016: 2 (1E, 1G)
2020: 6 (1E, 5G)
2022: 2 (1.5E, 0.5G)
AVG: 1.78 (0.50E, 1.28G)

Analysis of ASO RONI wk vs mod+:
-sig. more CONUS H landfalls (100%/70% had 1+/2+)
-sig. more E coast landfalls (60%/30% had 1+/2+)
-slightly fewer G coast landfalls due to 2020 being active
-E being nearly as active as G for wk is relatively high for E
-2020 ASO is mod+ per RONI but is only wk per ONI

H tracks:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/

RONI: https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indi ... .ascii.txt
Last edited by LarryWx on Thu May 23, 2024 10:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#353 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue May 21, 2024 12:04 pm

LarryWx wrote: I honestly don’t know. Plus even if I knew, it probably would vary based on what portion of the Caribbean is being analyzed since it is pretty large. But if I were to make a wild guess based on common storm tracks, I’d say that the US E coast risk would probably be highest vs its normal when NE Caribbean risk is highest vs its normal. I’d also guess that the threat to the US Gulf coast would be highest vs its normal when the threat to the NW Caribbean is at its highest vs its normal.

I made the following plot using the ASO temperature anomaly in the Nino3.4 region relative to the preceding 30-year period as thresholds for La Niña and El Niño. The shading/contours indicate areas where there is more or less ACE for a particular group of years than average. In general, when accounting for only the ENSO state, there does appear to be a slight southwestward shift in where activity tends to be most above average as one turns up the La Niña intensity. Stronger La Nina years are most anomalous in the Western Caribbean and Yucatan Channel region, while weaker La Nina years are most anomalous around the Bahamas.

Of course, this accounts for only ENSO state and does not account for AMO, which is certainly a very strong influence on Atlantic activity (2005, for instance, would count as very slightly warm neutral in this particular computation).

Source: Created using Python. Data from IBTrACS. Excludes 2023.

And, restricting the data for only 1950 to present:

Source: Created using Python. Data from IBTrACS. Excludes 2023. 1950-present only.
5 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#354 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 1:32 pm

:flag:
TheAustinMan wrote:
LarryWx wrote: I honestly don’t know. Plus even if I knew, it probably would vary based on what portion of the Caribbean is being analyzed since it is pretty large. But if I were to make a wild guess based on common storm tracks, I’d say that the US E coast risk would probably be highest vs its normal when NE Caribbean risk is highest vs its normal. I’d also guess that the threat to the US Gulf coast would be highest vs its normal when the threat to the NW Caribbean is at its highest vs its normal.

I made the following plot using the ASO temperature anomaly in the Nino3.4 region relative to the preceding 30-year period as thresholds for La Niña and El Niño. The shading/contours indicate areas where there is more or less ACE for a particular group of years than average. In general, when accounting for only the ENSO state, there does appear to be a slight southwestward shift in where activity tends to be most above average as one turns up the La Niña intensity. Stronger La Nina years are most anomalous in the Western Caribbean and Yucatan Channel region, while weaker La Nina years are most anomalous around the Bahamas.

Of course, this accounts for only ENSO state and does not account for AMO, which is certainly a very strong influence on Atlantic activity (2005, for instance, would count as very slightly warm neutral in this particular computation).

https://i.imgur.com/cNUsnTz.png

Source: Created using Python. Data from IBTrACS. Excludes 2023. 1950-present only.
https://i.imgur.com/GgXtM7j.png

Fantastic images! This clearly also shows that for the CONUS overall based on ASO ONI, weaker Niña is on average the most dangerous, especially FL to NC, though weaker vs stronger La Niña is close in TX. Would it be possible for you to do the same 6 images for RONI ASO instead of ONI ASO? If not for the 6, could you do just weaker RONI ASO vs stronger RONI ASO? You’d only be able to go back to 1950 since that’s as far back as RONI goes.

RONI:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indi ... .ascii.txt
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#355 Postby LarryWx » Tue May 21, 2024 2:32 pm

TheAustinMan wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/cNUsnTz.png

https://i.imgur.com/GgXtM7j.png

I didn’t catch this before. Why do you have only 4 stronger (sub -1) La Niña seasons per ASO since 1950 and which 4? What source did you use for Nino 3.4 SSTa? Per this ONI table, I see 8 sub -1.0 during ASO:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc ... ONI_v5.php

Thanks in advance.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#356 Postby cycloneye » Wed May 22, 2024 8:06 am

The new kid of the block is relative niño 3.4 index. El Niño has been out a few weeks ago, but officially, is still alive.

https://x.com/BenNollWeather/status/1793235394219434190

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect / Plume of ENSO models=Weak La Niña for ASO

#357 Postby LarryWx » Wed May 22, 2024 10:40 am

cycloneye wrote:The new kid of the block is relative niño 3.4 index. El Niño has been out a few weeks ago, but officially, is still alive.

https://x.com/BenNollWeather/status/1793235394219434190

Thanks, Luis. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a model prog for RONI! It’s showing RONI-ONI to be -0.67 in May and -0.55 in Oct. Based on this graph, it’s showing a prog of ASO ONI to be ~-0.60 (weak La Niña) but ASO RONI to be ~-1.15 (moderate La Niña), a truer reflection of the predicted strength of La Niña since it is negating the surrounding tropical waters’ warming.
2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

#358 Postby skyline385 » Wed May 22, 2024 10:57 am

Relative ONI seems to be the same as SSTa - Global mean SSTa, which while introduced 2-3 years ago has so far failed to pick up. They make sense in a global warming world and I am in support of using them but we do need some actual studies on relative vs absolute indices and which are more accurate in predicting the atmospheric response and eventually for the official authorities to start using them. Until then, unfortunately they remain just one of out many indices which are used speculatively.
Last edited by skyline385 on Wed May 22, 2024 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#359 Postby TheAustinMan » Wed May 22, 2024 7:35 pm

LarryWx wrote:I didn’t catch this before. Why do you have only 4 stronger (sub -1) La Niña seasons per ASO since 1950 and which 4? What source did you use for Nino 3.4 SSTa? Per this ONI table, I see 8 sub -1.0 during ASO:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc ... ONI_v5.php

Thanks in advance.

I probably used a different methodology. My years were based on SST anomaly relative to the preceding 30 years (so, for example, 1955 would be relative to 1925-1955). In that case, the four years that met criteria were 1973, 1975, 1988, and 2010. I didn't use the ONI page for that selection of years, but used ERSSTv5 SST data instead.

LarryWx wrote:Fantastic images! This clearly also shows that for the CONUS overall based on ASO ONI, weaker Niña is on average the most dangerous, especially FL to NC, though weaker vs stronger La Niña is close in TX. Would it be possible for you to do the same 6 images for RONI ASO instead of ONI ASO? If not for the 6, could you do just weaker RONI ASO vs stronger RONI ASO? You’d only be able to go back to 1950 since that’s as far back as RONI goes.

RONI:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indi ... .ascii.txt

Sure thing.
3 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2024 ENSO= BoM / CPC have La Niña watch in effect

#360 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 22, 2024 10:25 pm

It looks like a classic -PDO is setting up. Something we have not seen in a while despite the index being negative for the past few years. Waters are not just warm east of Japan but also NE of Hawaii. As well as a cold horseshoe off of NWAmerica.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”