Thoughts on 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#101 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:34 pm

:uarrow: Earlier today I was looking back at the Hurricane Frances thread and noticed speculation on whether he would be turned out to sea by a trough or manage to stay weak enough to not be influenced by it. The key this year will likely be timing of troughs, ridging, and the storms.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Thoughts on activity as heart of season nears

#102 Postby blp » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:52 pm

JB's thoughts on twitter. Continues the 2004 comparison.

CFSV2 continues coldest August for US as a whole since 2004 missive. Euro in line with it pic.twitter.com/7Co0aJTVaN
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby blp » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

'CaneFreak wrote:I think the thing you are forgetting is how quick the pressures rebuild over the NW Atlantic once these quick hitting, short wave troughs move through. The key is that these aren't huge sweeping troughs that are the length of the entire coastline. They are quick movers with a very short wavelength. Key difference there. This kind of pattern screams a threat to SE FL from the EAST.

WeatherEmperor wrote:I dont want to sound stupid but how come the chances of sfla getting hit are so high? I know the atlantic ridge is stronger this year but i see nothing but trof after trof coming off the east coast so far. Levi cowan on his tropical tidbits this afternoon showed a map of colder than normal temps forecasted during the month of august...which would imply cold fronts. To me it seems that storms should come closer to the US due to the stronger atlantic high but once they come close enough to the east coast they could turn in to the Carolinas due to all these fronts sweeping through the area. Would that be accurate or is there something I am missing?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Good point. The type of trough will be very key.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherwindow
Category 4
Category 4

#104 Postby weatherwindow » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Good evening, everyone...an excellent thread with a perponderance of well reasoned posts. One of the reasons that storm2k remains such a magnet for tropical enthusiasts is that it has acquired and retained a core group of experienced, competent and enthusiastic regulars. Their ongoing contributions, both professional and amateur, result in lively, intelligent discussions which, in turn, attract a continuous stream of newcomers. They, in turn, refresh the discussion and keep the rest of us "honest". A rather special element, here at storm2k, is the respect accorded the "newbies" and their questions. Someone is always willing able to guide them and answer the questions. Anyway, hats off to all and back to the topic at hand.

Ridging and the absence thereof is always a hot topic at this stage of the season. Of late, the persistent ridging, which has dominated the early season, has been punctuated by a more progressive regime with the appearance of several east coast trofs. Lets be careful about seizing on this episode and assuming that it represents a longwave pattern change to persist thru the heart of the season. Yes, for the past few seasons and for many prior to 04-05, a persistent ridge-trof longwave pattern appeared and dominated the heart of those seasons. The trof axis lay over the eastern seaboard or just offshore. Short waves rotating thru the trof generated a persistent southerly to southwesterly midlevel flow resulting in the recurvature of most storms approaching the eastern seaboard. However, the evolving synoptic regime is appears to favor the axis of the longwave trof to shift significantly westward. This, in turn, allows the westward extension of Atlantic ridging, associated with the Bermuda high, to a position over and west of the southeast coast. If this regime verifies, it favors a persistent easterly to southeasterly midlevel flow and blocks recurvature of systems approaching the coast. This evolution is favored by a broad assortment of global and synoptic factors and by midrange guidance. As has been noted earlier, 2004 has been widely suggested as an analog.

As we all remember, the heart of the season was dominated by a blocking pattern resulting in a flurry of Florida landfalls. This pattern is similiar in many aspects to the pattern suggested above and featured persistent ridging over and west of the southeast coast courtesy of high pressure over the western Atlantic and New England. It is important to understand that even if this blocking pattern verifies in 2013, it does not mean that the east coast will be trof-free thru September. Even a stout ridge does not preclude the occasional shortwave from intervening on the coast. The strength and extent of the ridging that is being suggested is not a constant. There is a continuous flexing in the ridge associated with variations in the strength/position of high pressure. Referring to the concerns noted with the recent trofing, lets examine 2004. Early August 2004 exhibited a distinct trofiness. As Charley was approaching the south coast of Cuba and ultimately entering the GOM, an exceptionally strong trof, nearing 3 SD deeper than the norm, was diving southeast into the Gulf. This trof ultimately recurved Charley over the Florida peninsula. The atypical trof dove south to nearly 25degN, again unusual for August. Shortly, after Charley disappeared into the North Atlantic, the trofiness was replaced by the ridging which was to dominate the Western Atlantic and the east coast thru the end of September. The results were Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. Here again, let me emphasize that it is unlikely that the heart of the 2013 hurricane season will resemble all those seasons prior featuring recurvature. It is much more likely to feature multiple landfalls with Florida and the southeast coast in sharp focus....Grtz from KW, Rich

PS..Florida's situation is potentially bleaker than in 2004..as noted repeatedly, south Fla experiences more landfalls in October than any other month. Due to a developing El Nino in 2004, the Caribbean was shutdown for genesis by the end of August. SFla's October landfalls typically develop in the Western Caribbean and recurve over the Fla peninsula. The absence of an El Nino may open the Carib in October
Last edited by tolakram on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: formatting
0 likes   

beoumont
Category 1
Category 1

#105 Postby beoumont » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Below is the most proven long range (longer than 6 days) forecast method, without a doubt, for areas of landfall to come:

----

In the recent term: pressures have come down a few mbs. in the tropical Atlantic the last couple of days, the ITCZ has migrated north a few degrees latitude, and the SAL has thinned out considerably. All quite typical as August moves along.
Last edited by beoumont on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
List of 79 tropical cyclones intercepted by Richard Horodner:
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Here is The Weather Channel's August Temperature and Overall Pattern Outlook. Notice the position of the trough, and the Highs I drew in. The one over the Atlantic extends very close if not over the SE and Mid-Altantic U.S. This pattern would open the door for a landfalling TC along the SE U.S. especially Florida and the Northern Gulf Coast. Though this pattern could always change, I'm just posting what TWC thinks August may be like.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#107 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:54 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Here is The Weather Channel's August Temperature and Overall Pattern Outlook. Notice the position of the trough, and the Highs I drew in. The one over the Atlantic extends very close if not over the SE and Mid-Altantic U.S. This pattern would open the door for a landfalling TC along the SE U.S. especially Florida and the Northern Gulf Coast. Though this pattern could always change, I'm just posting what TWC thinks August may be like.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8467/ednj.jpg

thats not a comforting pattern if you live along the Florida coast
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 am

mid levels continue very dry throughout the tropics

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/s ... vmid&time=
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby Blown Away » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:15 am

No scientific, but in all my years living in SFL, I don't remember a hurricane strike in SFL when there was above average spring/summer rainfall for the year. This year SFL is above average for rainfall...
Last edited by Blown Away on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 am

what was rainfall like last year?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am

what has gone wrong this year? its clear that the 400 mb in march doesnt mean alot. the east pac sst's are great for atlantic development. atlantic sst's are just fine. a multi year trend has continued in several areas. low instability and very dry mid level air.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:31 am

While my thoughts may change if something doesn't start showing up in the models soon, I will say that 1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, and 2010 all went through most if not all of the first two thirds of August with nothing and were still fairly busy.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

beoumont
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#113 Postby beoumont » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Hammy wrote:While my thoughts may change if something doesn't start showing up in the models soon, I will say that 1996, 1998, 1999, 2002, and 2010 all went through most if not all of the first two thirds of August with nothing and were still fairly busy.

The prime example for not getting too antsy early on is the 1961 hurricane season. There was only one named storm before Sept 2nd. By the end of the season there were 3 category #3 hurricanes, 2 category #4s, and 2 category #5s. In other words, what happens before mid August doesn't mean didly. Always keep hope alive.

.................................. . . . . . . . 1961 ...............................

0 likes   
List of 79 tropical cyclones intercepted by Richard Horodner:
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:27 pm

on facebook larry cosgrove gives a 1 in 21 chance of erin forming from the bahamas and moving west the next few days.
0 likes   

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#115 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:05 pm

ninel conde wrote:on facebook larry cosgrove gives a 1 in 21 chance of erin forming from the bahamas and moving west the next few days.

I'm guessing from the ULL forecast to move into that area the next few days?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Steve H. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:33 pm

not that I always agree with Larry Cosgrove, at the pattern I'm seeing, something homegrown could be in the offing. The last Erin that I recall in 1995 did develop in the western Atlantic and came across central Florida and into the GOM.
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#117 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Hurricane Alexis wrote:
ninel conde wrote:on facebook larry cosgrove gives a 1 in 21 chance of erin forming from the bahamas and moving west the next few days.

yep
0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Our local nws office has been mentioning rain chances going up for this weekend for the past few days due to a tropical wave moving west through the gulf. Wonder if this is the same system?
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#119 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

ninel conde wrote:
Hurricane Alexis wrote:

yep

No. The potential development is from a forecast stalled-out frontal boundary. Not an upper-level low.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Sanibel » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 am

TWC said the stalled boundary east of Florida won't develop due to NE shear.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”