2017 EPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2017 EPAC Season

#101 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 1:36 pm

ECMWF at 0z doesn't kill it, but I agree if it's track setup occurs it won't be anything more than a weak TS. While development odds are decreasing, I think if this doesn't happen, it will be changes to the synoptic pattern rather than convective feedback. Also worth noting that ECMWF has underdone the effects of a GOT gap event in the past, *cough* Patricia *cough*.

12z ECMWF rolling through as I type this.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#102 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 1:44 pm

ABPZ20 KNHC 061840
TWOEP

Special Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
1140 AM PDT Sat May 6 2017

For the eastern North Pacific...east of 140 degrees west longitude:

An area of low pressure is expected to form by early next week
over the far eastern Pacific to the south of El Salvador and
Honduras. Environmental conditions are forecast to be favorable for
gradual development, and a tropical depression could form by the
middle of next week while the low moves slowly toward the northwest.
The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook will be issued by 12 PM
PDT Sunday afternoon.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...50 percent.

&&

Forecaster Blake
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#103 Postby Alyono » Sat May 06, 2017 2:08 pm

EC dropped this entirely

I'm thinking a 30 percent chance of development at most. Not that impressed. Mainly MU developing this, and it tends to develop 10 of the next 2 storms
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Alyono wrote:EC dropped this entirely

I'm thinking a 30 percent chance of development at most. Not that impressed. Mainly MU developing this, and it tends to develop 10 of the next 2 storms

Just like last year. Models show development and then they drop it. And this had EPS and GEFS support the whole way.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 pm

If every TC the GFS showed formed we would have our hands quite full year-round! :lol:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby weathaguyry » Sat May 06, 2017 4:28 pm

IF a respectable hurricane were to form out of this (which is much less likely now) Would it possibly cause a considerable amount of upwelling, and cool off the ocean?
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#107 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm

weathaguyry wrote:IF a respectable hurricane were to form out of this (which is much less likely now) Would it possibly cause a considerable amount of upwelling, and cool off the ocean?

Depends on track. If this stalls, yes it would cool off the ocean for a few weeks, but would recover quickly.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 06, 2017 4:45 pm

weathaguyry wrote:IF a respectable hurricane were to form out of this (which is much less likely now) Would it possibly cause a considerable amount of upwelling, and cool off the ocean?

What do you mean by ocean? The waters directly under the hurricane or the region in which it is in?
For waters at the surface to cool because of a hurricane it depends on how fast the storm is moving, and how deep warm waters are. If a storm is moving very slowly, you will see a pretty good amount of upwelling within its vicinity. Even if they move at a fast pace, major hurricanes can leave a cold wake in their path. Initially you will see water temps cool, but if there are sufficient warm waters at the depth they'll recover usually in a short period of time. But hurricanes by themselves cannot cause a whole region (Nino regions, etc) to cool considerably and nor are they able to change the status quo of things in regards to water temps. However, it has been documented that typhoons in the WPAC (and only in the WPAC) near the equator can spawn WWB's in which those can help make water temperatures warm.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#109 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 4:48 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:

If every TC the GFS showed formed we would have our hands quite full year-round! :lol:

I don't recall too many GFS phantom EPAC storms last year except for one around late May near 120W last year though.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby weathaguyry » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

What do you mean by ocean? The waters directly under the hurricane or the region in which it is in?
For waters at the surface to cool because of a hurricane it depends on how fast the storm is moving, and how deep warm waters are. If a storm is moving very slowly, you will see a pretty good amount of upwelling within its vicinity. Even if they move at a fast pace, major hurricanes can leave a cold wake in their path. Initially you will see water temps cool, but if there are sufficient warm waters at the depth they'll recover usually in a short period of time. But hurricanes by themselves cannot cause a whole region (Nino regions, etc) to cool considerably and nor are they able to change the status quo of things in regards to water temps. However, it has been documented that typhoons in the WPAC (and only in the WPAC) near the equator can spawn WWB's in which those can help make water temperatures warm.

Sorry for not being clear, I was meaning the general area of the hurricane (about 3 degrees Lat. by 3 degrees Long.) of the actual hurricane. Based on the Models, this may stall for a few days, as a strengthening (Cat 2-3? Hurricane). I found this map that suggests that the warm water may be shallow.

0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 06, 2017 5:12 pm

weathaguyry wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Sorry for not being clear, I was meaning the general area of the hurricane (about 3 degrees Lat. by 3 degrees Long.) of the actual hurricane. Based on the Models, this may stall for a few days, as a strengthening (Cat 2-3? Hurricane). I found this map that suggests that the warm water may be shallow.

[img]http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/dataphod1/work/HHP/NEW/athhp.gif[img]

Yeah if this disturbance develops and becomes a strong storm, it'll definitely cause a pretty good amount of up welling if it moves slowly. Which in turn will weaken the storm. We've seen this happen numerous times in the past couple of seasons in the EPAC. Models do a bad job in picking up on up-welling induced weakening.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#112 Postby Alyono » Sat May 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:What do you mean by ocean? The waters directly under the hurricane or the region in which it is in?

Yeah if this disturbance develops and becomes a strong storm, it'll definitely cause a pretty good amount of up welling if it moves slowly. Which in turn will weaken the storm. We've seen this happen numerous times in the past couple of seasons in the EPAC. Models do a bad job in picking up on up-welling induced weakening.

models cannot pick up on upwelling unless they are coupled ocean-atmosphere models. SSTs are fixed in atmospheric models
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Alyono wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
weathaguyry wrote:

models cannot pick up on upwelling unless they are coupled ocean-atmosphere models. SSTs are fixed in atmospheric models

I know I may be speaking in hindsight, but considering all the advanced algorithms and calculations that global models execute, they can't incorporate a correlation where a TC at major hurricane status moving less than 5 mph will cause the SST's to cool?
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sat May 06, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#114 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 5:34 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Alyono wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

I know I may be speaking hindsight, but considering all the advanced algorithms and calculations that global models execute, they can't incorporate a correlation where a TC at major hurricane status moving less than 5 mph will cause the SST's to cool?

IIRC the HWRF and GFDL had this, and explains why they handled Blanca 15 better than the globals.
2 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#115 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 5:48 pm

18z GFS further west in origin setup (so more like the ECMWF) and has it moving inland near the Mexican border.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby Kingarabian » Sat May 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I know I may be speaking hindsight, but considering all the advanced algorithms and calculations that global models execute, they can't incorporate a correlation where a TC at major hurricane status moving less than 5 mph will cause the SST's to cool?

IIRC the HWRF and GFDL had this, and why they handled Blance 15 better than the globals.

Yeah, exactly. What's ironic is that they use a lot from the GFS yet the GFS can't do the same.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#117 Postby Alyono » Sat May 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Alyono wrote:

IIRC the HWRF and GFDL had this, and explains why they handled Blanca 15 better than the globals.

those models are fully coupled models
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby dexterlabio » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm

But the strong MJO signal is still expected to pass in this area, right? The Euro showed a strong cyclone developing in the WPAC 2 weeks ago, it's been showing that for 2 or 3 runs then dropped the scenario entirely. Could this be due to the MJO signal being overestimated?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#119 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 06, 2017 10:58 pm

dexterlabio wrote:But the strong MJO signal is still expected to pass in this area, right? The Euro showed a strong cyclone developing in the WPAC 2 weeks ago, it's been showing that for 2 or 3 runs then dropped the scenario entirely. Could this be due to the MJO signal being overestimated?

In this case, it's at least partially synotpic, but the GFS has a tendency to overdo/move the MJO too fast, and the former also sometimes applies to the ECMWF.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby Kingarabian » Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 am

00z Euro brings it back, decent cat.2 on this run.

00z GFS stronger this run.

I'd bump the odds higher at this point. Development in 36 hours.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”