Thoughts on 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Thoughts on 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season

#1061 Postby Ptarmigan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:07 pm

wxman57 wrote:I've been participating in a group discussion (via email) between a number of top researchers regarding the lack of activity across all basins this year. What we've concluded is that dry air in the mid levels dominates the deep tropics in all basins. This dry air is likely a byproduct of subsidence, which also results in a warming of the air in the mid levels. This leads to a decrease in instability, making it harder for TCs to develop and/or intensify.

Now, the big question is what is the cause of the subsidence? Can we predict it? How can we go forth with future predictions if we cannot predict such a harsh environment?

It could be a combination of cooler than normal Pacific water as it is in negative Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO). I also suspect droughts could play a role as there are severe droughts in Brazil and Russia. I would also look at position of monsoon and Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ). There has not been an El Nino since 2010. El Nino usually makes Pacific more active. I wonder if all the dry air may have played a role in 1977 being inactive worldwide.

I notice some of the most active Atlantic seasons on record occurred with both warm Atalntic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO) and PDO like 1933, 1995, and 2005.
0 likes   

hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

#1062 Postby hurricanetrack » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Come on El Nino! We need ya baby! (never thought I would say that until this season)
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1063 Postby hurricanes1234 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:38 pm

hurricanetrack wrote:Come on El Nino! We need ya baby! (never thought I would say that until this season)

I am curious to know when the next El Niño would be. I prefer El Niño more than La Niña, since I would admit that I have considerable ePac bias. Like some others here (albeit only a few), ePac storms are more interesting, because they have plenty of water, they affect land a lot less often, the basin is more active, and there are more major hurricanes here. In a season as well, the ePac is usually more active, and the strongest hurricane in either the ATL or ePac usually comes from the ePac. As for my thoughts on this ATL season, I think it is, as everybody knows, a dud, but also an example as to how conditions are versatile.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1064 Postby Ntxw » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Karen did manage to add over a point to the seasonal ACE which puts us now number 3 lowest ever. Given that long tracking, large cape verde systems is likely over, we are still on good standing for a top 5 lowest finish. While it's true the MJO may shift eastward, nearly every guidance remains incoherent (too weak) to be of any good use for the next couple of weeks. Strong MJO pulses this year has yielded very little intensity boost for systems, mostly just added to the count. My personal opinion is that anything that forms or moves above the Caribbean is likely to continue struggling, minus anything subtropical.

The season isn't over, but for all intents and purposes there hasn't been much to begin with.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#1065 Postby HurricaneRyan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Did anyone notice though that the 2007 Ingrid and the 2013 Ingrid both formed and dissipated on the same days?

September 12th - September 17th for both storms.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#1066 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:
hurricanetrack wrote:Come on El Nino! We need ya baby! (never thought I would say that until this season)

I am curious to know when the next El Niño would be. I prefer El Niño more than La Niña, since I would admit that I have considerable ePac bias. Like some others here (albeit only a few), ePac storms are more interesting, because they have plenty of water, they affect land a lot less often, the basin is more active, and there are more major hurricanes here. In a season as well, the ePac is usually more active, and the strongest hurricane in either the ATL or ePac usually comes from the ePac. As for my thoughts on this ATL season, I think it is, as everybody knows, a dud, but also an example as to how conditions are versatile.

Not for a while IMO.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1067 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:39 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Did anyone notice though that the 2007 Ingrid and the 2013 Ingrid both formed and dissipated on the same days?

September 12th - September 17th for both storms.

What?! :double: :crazyeyes:
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#1068 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Cold PDO? Blazing subtropical Atlantic? Drought in Brazil/Europe? Lack of an El Niño? These could be the reasons for an inactive season. They might not be either.

This season needs to be looked into thoroughly. Hopefully it will be.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#1069 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:03 am

My thoughts on this season are that it is a huge dud in every way possible. We're most probably out of that active period, since activity has been steadily declining since 2010 (ACE-related).

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1070 Postby Ntxw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:05 am

Subsidence (sinking air) is still the dominant feature across the Atlantic.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1071 Postby Hammy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

An interesting note, I crunched some numbers and the average number of major storms globally for the northern hemisphere, for 2003-12, was 16; this year has only had four, all in the West Pacific.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1072 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 pm

The guidance for the MJO suggest a track across the Pacific then weaken as it approaches the western hemisphere. I suspect when it does arrive (even if weak) will help spawn maybe a weak named system in a couple of weeks. Other than that though, nothing points to any kind of big uptick. Along with the 2013 factor, I think it will be very tough to spawn another hurricane.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1073 Postby MGC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm

I'd rather a season like 2013 than say 2005 or 2004. TWC had a graphic that only two hurricanes have made lanfall in the USA since 2009. Warm winters, quiet tropics....my kind of weather....MGC
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1074 Postby Ntxw » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 pm

It's a little quiet in the Atlantic so check out this beast of a storm in the bay of bengal, insane.

Phailin
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#1075 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

MGC wrote: Warm winters, quiet tropics....my kind of weather...

Exactamundo.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#1076 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 pm

MGC wrote:I'd rather a season like 2013 than say 2005 or 2004. TWC had a graphic that only two hurricanes have made lanfall in the USA since 2009. Warm winters, quiet tropics....my kind of weather....MGC

I agree to a point, but sometimes tropical systems are the only relief for drought....In my opinion, the USA is in a very serious and dire situation with increasingly widespread drought conditions that seem to get worse every years....This potentially can be catastrophic in the coming years....We don't need winds, but the states sure need rain...

It makes me sick when people I work with tell me that they hate the rain. It's such a selfish statement to make.... Sometimes I feel like saying, "well don't take showers then, and don't drink water then, and enjoy the lakes drying up!".... ... Too many people take rain for granted....Sometimes I just don't understand people, just because the poor babies don't like to get wet....
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#1077 Postby euro6208 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 am

i am a little shocked with how slow the activity is over there in the western hemisphere...

i wonder what happen...

it seems like the season never began...oh well, 7/8 more months till the next hurricane season... :double:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#1078 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:
I agree to a point, but sometimes tropical systems are the only relief for drought....In my opinion, the USA is in a very serious and dire situation with increasingly widespread drought conditions that seem to get worse every years....This potentially can be catastrophic in the coming years....We don't need winds, but the states sure need rain...

It makes me sick when people I work with tell me that they hate the rain. It's such a selfish statement to make.... Sometimes I feel like saying, "well don't take showers then, and don't drink water then, and enjoy the lakes drying up!".... ... Too many people take rain for granted....Sometimes I just don't understand people, just because the poor babies don't like to get wet....

I consider droughts more dangerous than flooding, hurricanes, and tornadoes combined. Hurricanes, storms that produce flooding, and tornadoes can be detected by Doppler radar or satellite. People can evacuate from hurricanes or seek shelter from flooding or tornadoes. Droughts affect a larger area than floodings, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Granted some of the deadliest disasters in history were caused by them. Droughts too have killed many people in the form of famine and epidemics.

Oceanographer Shows Possible Link Between 1918 El Niño and Flu Pandemic
http://icop.tamu.edu/news/114-oceanogra ... u-pandemic

There was a strong El Nino in 1918-1919 and El Nino causes droughts in India and it was hard hit by the Spanish Flu pandemic. A large area of America was in a drought in 1917-1918. The 1930s Dust Bowl displaced many people, way more than what Hurricane Katrina did.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1079 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Agree with MGC. Too bad a lot of people didn't get the excitement they wanted but guys like us and Frank P can tell you that once you lose everything you own, you develop a whole new perspective. I also don't agree with the term dud for 13 as it has produced the recent long term average of named storms and will no doubt get above 11. I do agree that it is a dud in terms of ace and intensity, which suits me perfectly fine. Now back to Zilker Park and ACL Fest. Muse was outstanding last night.

This post is NOT official.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#1080 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm

The Atlantic and East Pacific have one more chance.

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”