Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#121 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
Siker wrote:Shear is quite divergent, water is quite warm, moisture is quite moist. Just takes time to build an LLC when all of those factors are focused away (under the MCV) from the former broad low level center (now visible well west of Florida).

Good analysis!

well nortjaxpro this particular outcome will finally bring you much-needed rain since something developing east of florida looks less likely.

You are not kidding. We desperately need rain here in Northeast Florida. I have only measured just under 1/10 of an inch for the entire month of May to this juncture.

Hopefully this deep tropical moisture with this current system will bring about some good rain here , especially tomorrow, as whatever becomes of this system drifts N/NE up along the Florida East Coast.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 9:18 am

Anyone else notice this crazy outflow boundary racing towards our system... has about 6 to 8 hours before it reaches the broad circ.

but I wonder if it will cause some increased low level convergence ?

wind shift behind it is from the west ... might see some increased convection well ahead of it.

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 25, 2020 9:30 am

northjaxpro wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
Good analysis!

well nortjaxpro this particular outcome will finally bring you much-needed rain since something developing east of florida looks less likely.

You are not kidding. We desperately need rain here in Northeast Florida. I have only measured just under 1/10 of an inch for the entire month of May to this juncture.

Hopefully this deep tropical moisture with this current system will bring about some good rain here , especially tomorrow, as whatever becomes of this system drifts N/NE up along the Florida East Coast.
we were in the same drought conditions then the middle of May came around and its been 15+ inches since then...hopefully you get some of this moisture
1 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#124 Postby Ivanhater » Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 am

NW Florida is in a severe drought but hopefully some rain will come from this
2 likes   
Michael

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Ubuntwo » Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 am

12z gfs quickly spins something of this at ~18 hr. Closed isobar and far more defined vortex than past runs. It's nothing more than a depression but still pretty cool.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 12:42 pm

This particular area is looking nice a juicy for a circ to try and come together as the area of convection west of key west lifts north into the upper divergence and stronger low level vorticity area

1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#127 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 25, 2020 2:44 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:12z gfs quickly spins something of this at ~18 hr. Closed isobar and far more defined vorticity than past runs. It's nothing more than a depression but still pretty cool.

The 12Z GFS closes of a 1007 mb Low at Cape Canaveral at 06Z tomorrow morning. It then drifts it N/NE to just off the Northeast Florida coast east of Daytona by 12Z tomorrow morning.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 2:46 pm

Broad closed circ is slowly tightening. a burst of deep convection would tighten it up. pressure 1009mb

1 likes   

typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#129 Postby typhoonty » Mon May 25, 2020 2:50 pm

One of the more epic forecasting busts of the last several years is taking place for coastal southwest Florida. We had 100 POPs today, supposed to be overcast all day. Instead it''s mostly sunny and temperatures are pushing 90 here, with only T since midnight. Reminiscent of my worst forecast bust, TS Isaac 2012. Never underestimate the potential dry slot between a weak tropical feature and the convergence brought by onshore winds on the east coast.
0 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby floridasun78 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:55 pm

alot flood warring issue past few hour for dade county with this system over 2.00 inch rain fall in miami area
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby toad strangler » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

typhoonty wrote:One of the more epic forecasting busts of the last several years is taking place for coastal southwest Florida. We had 100 POPs today, supposed to be overcast all day. Instead it''s mostly sunny and temperatures are pushing 90 here, with only T since midnight. Reminiscent of my worst forecast bust, TS Isaac 2012. Never underestimate the potential dry slot between a weak tropical feature and the convergence brought by onshore winds on the east coast.

Ahhhh location location location. It can be a real %!#* can’t it? Been there for sure.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#132 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm

typhoonty wrote:One of the more epic forecasting busts of the last several years is taking place for coastal southwest Florida. We had 100 POPs today, supposed to be overcast all day. Instead it''s mostly sunny and temperatures are pushing 90 here, with only T since midnight. Reminiscent of my worst forecast bust, TS Isaac 2012. Never underestimate the potential dry slot between a weak tropical feature and the convergence brought by onshore winds on the east coast.
That heating helped to provide lift and enhance our heavy rainfall..6 inches in 2 days...17 inches in the last 10 days
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Shear is dropping fast over the eastern Gulf.. it is like 5 mph away from being marginally favorable. lol

0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby psyclone » Mon May 25, 2020 3:23 pm

One of the keys to robust convection is some surface heating which was non existent yesterday. We have a little today on the western side of the peninsula and the rain and thunderstorms are intense with very high rain rates. I just got under a shower that looked pretty insignificant on radar and it was really heavy...as is often the case in a tropical atmosphere.. Convective rainfall is a tough nut to crack with insane differences over short distances ..very much like lake effect snow. We can always find busts in such a set up but there are plenty of people in west central and southwest florida getting the lousy memorial day weather they expected.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby chaser1 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Most recent radar presentation is depicting what appears to be a fairly definable low level circulation from just north of Cape Coral and/or possibly extending westward just offshore. The area itself appears to be moving slowly northward. Will have to watch and see if there's any pressure falls and overall continuity as we move into the evening hours.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

chaser1 wrote:Most recent radar presentation is depicting what appears to be a fairly definable low level circulation from just north of Cape Coral and/or possibly extending westward just offshore. The area itself appears to be moving slowly northward. Will have to watch and see if there's any pressure falls and overall continuity as we move into the evening hours.

yep been watching it. local seabreeze has helped with this feature.

it will get pulled north then bend west

interesting system for sure lol
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 25, 2020 4:10 pm

let see if this helps get some more convergence on the east side to build deep convection and tighten this up. pressure nearly 1008mb

1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 pm

STWO 20%/20%
ABNT20 KNHC 252119
TWOAT

Special Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
520 PM EDT Mon May 25 2020

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued to discuss the broad trough
of low pressure extending across Florida and the adjacent Atlantic
and Gulf of Mexico waters.

Widespread showers and thunderstorms extending across Florida, the
Bahamas, and the adjacent Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico waters are
associated with an elongated surface trough interacting with an
upper-level disturbance. Although a weak surface low could form
along the surface trough just off the east coast of Florida and
move northward toward Georgia and South Carolina on Tuesday and
Wednesday, the low is not expected to become a tropical cyclone due
to strong upper-level winds.

Regardless of development, heavy rainfall could cause flash
flooding over portions of southern and central Florida tonight,
spreading northward to coastal sections of northeastern Florida,
Georgia, and the Carolinas on Tuesday and Wednesday. Gusty winds
could also produce rough marine conditions and life-threatening
surf and rip currents along the coasts of eastern Florida, Georgia,
and the Carolinas through Wednesday. For additional information,
see products from your local National Weather Service office. The
next Special Tropical Weather Outlook on this system will be issued
by 9 AM EDT Tuesday, or earlier if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

$$
Forecaster Berg
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby NDG » Mon May 25, 2020 4:38 pm

Lots of vorticities along the surface trough, that's about it besides the continuing heavy rains across SE FL.
GFS and Euro like the eastern part of the trough over FL breaking off and having a chance to develop before moving onshore Wednesday.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”