ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO Updates

#12361 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:29 pm

What even is a super Niña? Most La Ninas assert their dominance by their longevity rather than intensity and what arguably separates super Ninos from strong ones is they at least partially reverse the Walker Circulation. What is the super equivalent?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12362 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:What even is a super Niña? Most La Ninas assert their dominance by their longevity rather than intensity and what arguably separates super Ninos from strong ones is they at least partially reverse the Walker Circulation. What is the super equivalent?

We don't know because it's never been recorded before. I am very intrigued on the possible effects. Maybe much more intense droughts/floods in certain places. Atmospherically it will probably keep the Walker circulation strong for another year or so. Certainly drought implications for the W and SW CONUS. For me a super Nina would be a trimonthly where Nino 3.4 is near -2.5C. Per the CPC's ONI chart that has never happened before.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12363 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:46 pm

-4C on the latest subsurface update.

MJO set to be stronger over the EPAC this time around which will lead to more convergence and westerly winds in the eastern east pacific. So expect Nino 1+2 and Nino 3 to be warmer for a little longer. Once the December downwelling KW is exhausted, rapid cooling will follow.
6 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12364 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:16 pm

https://twitter.com/wxtca/status/1505938058486726657

https://twitter.com/wxtca/status/1505938071623188489

https://twitter.com/wxtca/status/1505938828007256064

Next few weeks the difference between weak La Niña/cool neutral and moderate if not strong Niña, which could have long term implications beyond 2022 but I’m getting ahead of myself here.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12365 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:23 pm

We've seen weak westerly anomalies pop up in prior years with zero effect around this time frame. At least per the official Nino 3.4 readings, it will be extremely hard to get anything other than La Nina for the summer of 2022. Upwelling will only be favored below the dateline. Trades will get even stronger around July. It's easier to get westerlies in the eastern EPAC when there's persistent strong trades over the dateline, so yeah we'll see spot westerlies and some warming near Nino 1+2 and Nino 3, but the chance for cool neutral or warm neutral has passed.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12366 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:52 pm

Probably the most favorable trade pattern for warmth across the Pacific that we’ll get in a while. If were lucky this will temporarily bring us to near cool neutral territory.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12367 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:42 pm

Is it possible to have a Quad-Dip La Nina?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#12368 Postby AlphaToOmega » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:55 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Is it possible to have a Quad-Dip La Nina?

1998-1999, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, and 2001-2002 all featured -ENSO during Boreal Winter.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12369 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 pm

It’s not particularly likely. Generally in the Pacific after years of La Ninas you get ridging over the Northeast Pacific, warming up the Northeast Pacific and triggering anticyclonic rossby wave breaking over the Eastern Pacific, which favors +PMM and +PDO. In addition, all the warmth over the IPWP makes it easier for westerlies to lead to a sudden warmup in the Pacific. If I had to randomly guess, we probably hit +ENSO at some point next year but so much can happen obviously from now to then.

Still, this is going to be one of the most impressive Ninas we are going to see just due to how long the Walker Circulation will be supercharged for so it’s cool to see.
Last edited by Yellow Evan on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12370 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm

It almost happened with the 1998-2000 La Nina, although 2001 was neutral while during the 1973-1975 La Nina, 1976 was actually El Nino. So the odds are 2023 will likely not be La Nina, but idk at this point. The world is crazy, so who knows if we'll see a La Nina continue until 2026 lol :lol:
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12371 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:34 pm

Pretty good looking EPAC WWB on the CFS:

Doubt it verifies at this strength though. Even then, there's little OHC in this region. However if we simply did not have sustained dateline trades for most of Jan-March, this WWB could've initiated +ENSO.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12372 Postby NotSparta » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:57 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Pretty good looking EPAC WWB on the CFS:

https://i.imgur.com/CKBMQIg.png

Doubt it verifies at this strength though. Even then, there's little OHC in this region. However if we simply did not have sustained dateline trades for most of Jan-March, this WWB could've initiated +ENSO.

Yeah its position means it'll probably not have major ramifications on ENSO long term but we'll probably see the persistence of the warm anomalies out east for a little longer. Perhaps coastal Niño this spring
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#12373 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:39 am

NotSparta wrote:

Yeah its position means it'll probably not have major ramifications on ENSO long term but we'll probably see the persistence of the warm anomalies out east for a little longer. Perhaps coastal Niño this spring

Coastal Niños also tend to suppress instability and increase vertical wind shear over the Caribbean during the early part of the Atlantic season. A warmer Niño 1+2 also could allow for some early-season TC activity over the easternmost EPAC before the summertime trades accelerate and result in resumed equatorial cooling. Most of the pre-August TC activity in the Atlantic will probably occur in the subtropics, while I would not be surprised to a see a few powerful hurricanes early on in the EPAC, before summertime reversal occurs. At this point cool neutral ENSO or weak Niña conditions seem to be most probable come ASO.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12374 Postby NotSparta » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:12 am

Shell Mound wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Coastal Niños also tend to suppress instability and increase vertical wind shear over the Caribbean during the early part of the Atlantic season. A warmer Niño 1+2 also could allow for some early-season TC activity over the easternmost EPAC before the summertime trades accelerate and result in resumed equatorial cooling. Most of the pre-August TC activity in the Atlantic will probably occur in the subtropics, while I would not be surprised to a see a few powerful hurricanes early on in the EPAC, before summertime reversal occurs. At this point cool neutral ENSO or weak Niña conditions seem to be most probable come ASO.

I don't think any kind of coastal Niño could last long enough to have that many effects on the hurricane season. +NPMM/-SPMM generally do not favor warmth in the equatorial EPAC so I would expect this feature to fade rather than persisting through summer
6 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12375 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Yeah 2012 and 2017 had some sort of coastal El Nino at one point. Didn't do much to limit the Atlantic hurricane season
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#12376 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Yeah 2012 and 2017 had some sort of coastal El Nino at one point. Didn't do much to limit the Atlantic hurricane season

Especially 2017.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#12377 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:46 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Yeah 2012 and 2017 had some sort of coastal El Nino at one point. Didn't do much to limit the Atlantic hurricane season

Definitely didn't limit 2017, although you could argue it was somewhat of a negative factor in 2012 since that was a warm-neutral year. MDR activity was generally weak as a result despite the high NS count.
Last edited by DorkyMcDorkface on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#12378 Postby AlphaToOmega » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:48 pm

The only conditions that matter for hurricane seasons are ones for JAS (Pacific Hurricane Season) and for ASO (Atlantic Hurricane Season).
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12379 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:10 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Definitely not 2017, although you could argue it was somewhat of a negative factor in 2012 since that was a warm-neutral year. MDR activity was generally weak as a result despite the high NS count.

Not sure if you were disagreeing or agreeing with me but 2017 was the prime example of a surface El Nino.

Warm at the surface and cool at the subsurface.

I point out 2012 as a coastal El Nino because it was an event that was focused near Nino 3 and Nino 1+2 and it failing to affect the Atlantic. Pre season numbers from most agencies were well below average and instead, we saw 19/10/2 as the final count. 2012 was weird because surface and subsurface were warm near Nino 3 and Nino 1+2 leading many to think an El Nino was on its way. But waters near Nino 3.4 and Nino 4 were consistently cool to warm neutral meaning this was never going to be legit +ENSO event that would favor EPAC activity and reduce Atlantic activity.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#12380 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:16 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
DorkyMcDorkface wrote:

Definitely not 2017, although you could argue it was somewhat of a negative factor in 2012 since that was a warm-neutral year. MDR activity was generally weak as a result despite the high NS count.

2017 was the prime example of a surface El Nino.

http://i.imgur.com/m1QsrRK.gif
http://i.imgur.com/e7KpZGC.gif

Yeah I meant to say it didn't limit 2017, my bad, it does appear as if I was saying 2017 didn't have a coastal Niño at one point. It definitely did as you said:
5 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”