ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates: Latest PDO index update at -1.56

#13041 Postby LarryWx » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:14 pm

So, the April 1st Euro ensemble mean 3.4 plume for ASO is ~+1.7. How does this compare to some past actual El Niño ASOs?

2015: +2.2

1997: +2.1

1965: +1.9

1972, 1982: +1.6

1957: +1.3

1963: +1.2

For these 7, the average increase from ASO to peak was 0.4 with a range of 0.1 to 0.6. So, that would imply based on the April 1st Euro ASO forecast of +1.7 a later peak between +1.8 and +2.3 (mean of +2.1).

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc ... ONI_v5.php

Keep in mind though that none of this takes into account whatever forecast bias the Euro may or may not have (see below). And of course even if the bias is negligible, there is mean forecast error to keep in mind when looking ahead that far (as much as 6 months).

How does the April 1st Euro plume mean of +1.7 for ASO compare to some past April 1st Euro progs for ASO?

- 2017: +1.1 (the year of worst forecast) vs -0.4 actual

- 2015: +2.0 vs +2.2 actual

- 2014: +1.5 vs +0.2 actual

- 2012: +1.0 vs +0.4 actual

- 2009: +0.8 based on May 1st forecast vs +0.7 actual

So, for these 5 years, the April 1st forecast mean for ASO ended up too warm 4 times and too cool once. On average for these five years, the April forecast for ASO was 0.6 too warm. Even if I were to throw out the 2017 forecast debacle, the April forecast for ASO for the remaining four years was still 0.45 too warm. So, perhaps the April 1st forecast for ASO has a too warm bias. If so, the odds would favor the actual ASO end up lower than +1.7.

But regardless, the +1.7 ASO prediction being the 2nd warmest for the Euro in April is a significant indicator that a pretty robust El Niño is probably on the way. Even if I were to reduce the +1.7 ASO forecast to +1.2 or +1.3 to account for Euro warm bias, that would still imply that the later peak would most likely end up in the strong (+1.5 to +1.9) category though most likely not super-strong and with high end moderate also in the mix. Then again, the trend from last month's Euro forecast is significantly warmer.

So, we'll see! Lots of uncertainty but the chance for a robust El Niño has increased significantly from last month based on the Euro.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#13042 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:47 pm

Niño 3 temp has been dropping like a rock BUT Niño 4 is warming up fast. Could this be due to the WPAC MJO?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#13043 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:54 pm

I'm very interested to see the stats for the years when El Niños of at least moderate strength had formed with -PDO in place. What's making me think that 2023 might end up as weak +ENSO is the -PDO. Before the 2014-2016 El Niño, the PDO was negative but it quickly got to positive territory as the El Niño developed. This year though, I don't think we're seeing clear signs of the PDO turning positive, it actually appears to be going more negative.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13044 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:57 am

dexterlabio wrote:Niño 3 temp has been dropping like a rock BUT Niño 4 is warming up fast. Could this be due to the WPAC MJO?

That's fine, the Nino regions will fluctuate. Right now I would watch the subsurface warm pool and see if it can redevelop those +4C/+5C anomalies. Could be the difference between a warm neutral or an El Nino event.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13045 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:59 am

dexterlabio wrote:I'm very interested to see the stats for the years when El Niños of at least moderate strength had formed with -PDO in place. What's making me think that 2023 might end up as weak +ENSO is the -PDO. Before the 2014-2016 El Niño, the PDO was negative but it quickly got to positive territory as the El Niño developed. This year though, I don't think we're seeing clear signs of the PDO turning positive, it actually appears to be going more negative.

2009 didn't develop a +PDO until August. However this is a telling sign thst a multi year +PDO regime is not in the cards.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO Updates

#13046 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:27 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13047 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:34 am

Will the cyclone that forms north and NW of Australia affect the SOI? Is already climbing.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#13048 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:13 pm

cycloneye wrote:Will the cyclone that forms north and NW of Australia affect the SOI? Is already climbing.

https://i.imgur.com/h117xFe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SySCVlt.jpg

Yeah, I am already thinking it's messing up the SOI index, it will come back down with a crash when the storm leaves.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13049 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13050 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:08 pm

cycloneye wrote:Will the cyclone that forms north and NW of Australia affect the SOI? Is already climbing.

https://i.imgur.com/h117xFe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SySCVlt.jpg

SOI will climb regardless because rising motion will be favored over the MC thus favoring lower than normal pressures near Darwin.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13051 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:10 pm

EPS has been more conservative compared to the GFS in regards to this WWB moving east.

CFS is hinting that sometime in May we will see a dateline WWB.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13052 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:56 pm

1 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#13053 Postby JetFuel_SE » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:15 pm

"Strongest El Niño since 2015" isn't really a very high bar tbh.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13054 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:28 pm

I think we have to drop the use of the NMME. Its either too cold or too warm during the SPB.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#13055 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:52 pm

Here's a quote from University of Arizona's annual April hurricane season prediction for the Atlantic, at least in the context of ENSO:

For our April forecast, we expect an active season over the North Atlantic. Tropical Atlantic SSTs are forecast to be the highest since 2010 and even hotter than 2020, and for the Nino 3.4 region, forecast SSTs are among the highest. The high Nino SSTs should help bring down hurricane activities; it will be an interesting battle between the two sides this summer.

So let's say we do indeed end up with at least a moderate strength El Nino but with Atlantic warmth on the levels of 2005/2010/2020. Would this cause "competition" between the EPAC and Atlantic and cause the EPAC to end up less active than expected given the El Nino strength? What would really happen in a case where both the equatorial EPAC and the Atlantic are very warm?
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#13056 Postby Astromanía » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:13 pm

Systems on ATL basin before August are mostly weak and short lived even in La Niña years, if we are going to end up with a moderate to strong el Niño by peak season I don't see the ATL really competing in activity to EPAC. In 2016 and 2018 seasons both basins almost end up hyperactive but I don't think the pattern is the same in this case, we need to see what actually happens, I just don't expect great activity for ATL this year but that's just me
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#13057 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:57 pm

JetFuel_SE wrote:

Almost any El Niño would qualify
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#13058 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:01 pm

NotSparta wrote:
JetFuel_SE wrote:

Almost any El Niño would qualify

If 2015 wasn't a crazy super one, that forecast could easily say "strongest since 2009," which would have made more impact. And I also just realized that 2015 wasn't really that long ago, if this year's El Nino indeed goes super then that might be telling something about the world's current climate state?
0 likes   

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#13059 Postby JetFuel_SE » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:14 am

Astromanía wrote:Systems on ATL basin before August are mostly weak and short lived even in La Niña years, if we are going to end up with a moderate to strong el Niño by peak season I don't see the ATL really competing in activity to EPAC. In 2016 and 2018 seasons both basins almost end up hyperactive but I don't think the pattern is the same in this case, we need to see what actually happens, I just don't expect great activity for ATL this year but that's just me

The Atlantic had absolutely no right to be active in 2018.
A clear -AMO signature combined with a looming El Niño isn't exactly a good recipe for Atlantic activity.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13060 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:35 am

Atlantic has been more and more active despite above average EPAC activity is due to the ASW.

Generally, if there's going to be a super El Nino there has to be some type of +ENSO conditions in the prior year, especially during OND. Plus, per Climo super El Nino's typically happen every 15-20 years or so.

El Nino's usually keep the Atlantic slow. But if the ASW is active this season, the Atlantic should still see some solid activity.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”