Tropical Wave East of Lesser Antilles

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#141 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Saved image below. Convection has maintained for just about 24 hours now and the area that has persisted has blown up again which is interesting:

0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby abajan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

The convection with this continues to be very persistent. Should be interesting to see what happens during the overnight hours, especially around D-Max. It's traveling really fast though.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Tropical Wave WSW of CV Islands

#143 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:47 pm

NHC director Knabb posted this on Twitter to answer the question about why this wave is not highlighted:

Potomac Weather ‏@PotomacWx · 6h
@NHCDirector Why isn't this area in the Central Atlantic not circled? Thunderstorms continue to persist pic.twitter.com/2S6fuMUFTs

Dr. Rick Knabb ‏@NHCDirector · 1m
Hi @PotomacWx. We only highlight in Tropical Weather Outlook systems with sufficient chance within 5 days to become tropical cyclone.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#144 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Some folks might wish for the NHC to post ten 0% AOIs on every TWO
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#145 Postby CFLHurricane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:57 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Some folks might wish for the NHC to post ten 0% AOIs on every TWO

That'd be quite nice, actually.

:lol:
0 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#146 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Who knows but if it retains convection it may be highlighted later tonight or tomorrow morning

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#147 Postby abajan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 pm

This reminds me a bit of a tropical wave last year that looked everything like a hurricane. (Was that last year?)
0 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

Re:

#148 Postby Siker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

abajan wrote:This reminds me a bit of a tropical wave last year that looked everything like a hurricane. (Was that last year?)

There was one tropical wave back in June of last year which seemed to be a definite tropical cyclone, it had a clearly closed circulation and heavy convection, but it poofed the next day so there wasn't much point in classifying it.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:56 pm

so look like could be add if look better in morning?
0 likes   

Tropics Guy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#150 Postby Tropics Guy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Looks like some persistent convection and possible circulation developing, IMO should be tagged an invest soon if it maintains itself. Will be interesting to see the morning visibles. Any model support for this yet?

TG
0 likes   

meriland23
Category 5
Category 5

#151 Postby meriland23 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:15 pm

If this does become a invest, seeing where it is now..if this happens to strengthen to TS or hurr down the road, will this still be expected to fish way way out or would it be potentially worrisome for landfall interaction?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 pm

meriland23 wrote:If this does become a invest, seeing where it is now..if this happens to strengthen to TS or hurr down the road, will this still be expected to fish way way out or would it be potentially worrisome for landfall interaction?

Theres a good chance this becomes something down the road but its too early to tell if this is a landfall candidate or fish

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 pm

:uarrow: This area will be lucky to even get mentioned in the NHC's TWO with the very unfavorable environment it will soon be heading into. 30-40kts. of shear should finish this off in an instant in a couple of days.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#154 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Umm,at least there is something interesting there that ASCAT caught.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#155 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
meriland23 wrote:If this does become a invest, seeing where it is now..if this happens to strengthen to TS or hurr down the road, will this still be expected to fish way way out or would it be potentially worrisome for landfall interaction?

Theres a good chance this becomes something down the road

Why do you think this has a good chance? It has shear to deal with.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 pm

It has the look if it can survive the shear zone is what I meant so my bad for not clarifying that

0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#157 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:

Theres a good chance this becomes something down the road

Why do you think this has a good chance? It has shear to deal with.

I think he was being intentionally vague. This road travels all the way to Vietnam after all so yes, I also think there is a good chance this wave will develop at some point down the road. :lol:
Last edited by somethingfunny on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby gatorcane » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

The 00Z GFS running now again, does not develop this at least in the 72 hours of the run I am seeing so far. In fact looking at the simulated IR satellite from the 00Z GFS, convection should wind down within the next 24 hours.

That said, it's impressive how long this convection has maintained though it does seem the cloud tops are warming some, even as we approach DMAX. Hard to tell if there is anything at the surface but that ASCAT pass was interesting.

GFS does ramp up the westerly shear in the next 2-3 days out there. No model that I can see develops this. Maybe some will on the 00Z runs.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby Frank2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:47 am

Nothing in the 2 a.m. TWO either - its toast ; )
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#160 Postby abajan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 am

Frank2 wrote:Nothing in the 2 a.m. TWO either - its toast ; )
Yes, it certainly looks like toast this morning. Really had me fooled. :lol:
Now we see why the NHC wasn't too enthused about it.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”