Area in the Northwestern Caribbean Sea

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbed weather ESE of the Windward Islands

#141 Postby SFLcane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:54 pm

Ridge looked weaker this run. I bet next run comes across the Florida peninsula.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#142 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:56 pm

SFLcane wrote:Ridge looked weaker this run. I bet next run comes across the Florida peninsula.

The trough you mentioned earlier may be present.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby sma10 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Fwiw, 18z ICON agrees thru 120h
Last edited by sma10 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#144 Postby StPeteMike » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:57 pm

SFLcane wrote:Ridge looked weaker this run. I bet next run comes across the Florida peninsula.

The trough does nothing to the ridge which is interesting. I expect a more east landfall next run.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#145 Postby skyline385 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:58 pm

It is moving ridiculously fast in the Gulf, think that maybe detrimental to its development
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby SFLcane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:10 pm

GEFS looks Meh… Modelcane? Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it drops it next run considering it’s 2022.
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby Nimbus » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:10 pm

It would almost be better if the SAL let up so these storms could spin up and recurve early.
These models that stimulate a compulsive interest in their audience with a 933 mb land falling hurricane can get irritating but probably reflects whatever variables they are focusing on now. How far off from random are they actually calling for a gulf storm at 10 days out?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#148 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:15 pm

GFS has been developing spurious strong hurricanes all over the globe, every basin. Don't believe it if it is by itself in the prediction. It may be properly following a feature, but it way overdoes development everywhere.
7 likes   

lsuhurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#149 Postby lsuhurricane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:17 pm

GFS Ensembles are very potent and in a similar spot to the Euro Ensembles.

Last edited by lsuhurricane on Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby SoupBone » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:GFS has been developing spurious strong hurricanes all over the globe, every basin. Don't believe it if it is by itself in the prediction. It may be properly following a feature, but it way overdoes development everywhere.

I think it's trying to ruin your Labor Day plans.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#151 Postby Clearcloudz » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:18 pm

18Z GEFS out to 144 hours
0 likes   

lsuhurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#152 Postby lsuhurricane » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:21 pm

0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby SouthFLTropics » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:32 pm

StPeteMike wrote:

The trough does nothing to the ridge which is interesting. I expect a more east landfall next run.

Considering it is only late August/early September I’d be more inclined to believe further west is more likely. While not unheard of, it would be unusual to get a strong trough this early. Of course, Charley would beg to differ. If recent history holds any value, I’d be concerned if I lived in western Louisiana. They’ve been the prime target in recent years.
2 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#154 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:32 pm

East of The Windward Islands:
A large area of disturbed weather is located several hundred miles
east-southeast of the Windward Islands. Even though this system
remains disorganized, environmental conditions could become more
conducive for development in a few days while it is forecast to move
across the Windward Islands and into the southeastern Caribbean Sea.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SohCahToa
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#155 Postby SohCahToa » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:32 pm

wxman57 wrote:GFS has been developing spurious strong hurricanes all over the globe, every basin. Don't believe it if it is by itself in the prediction. It may be properly following a feature, but it way overdoes development everywhere.

Hoping this turns out to be the case and this just flat out doesn’t develop. Have a 5 day trip planned for to Panama City for my boys 1st bday.

He was born a week after riding out Hurricane Ida, looking for a less eventful first week of August this year lol
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby blp » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:32 pm

SFLcane wrote:GEFS looks Meh… Modelcane? Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it drops it next run considering it’s 2022.

If it wasn't for the ICON I would definitely say modelcane. What most likely is going is what has happened all year with the GFS with its implicit intensity bias on the Western Caribbean. We won't know for sure until other models jump on board how strong this will be.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:34 pm

Every one of the 8 cold 3rd year ENSO analog seasons had significant impact on the gulf coast of FL fwiw. Also, regarding the entire basin, this was by a good margin the hardest hit area overall. Just food for thought and fwiw to keep in mind throughout the season as opposed to just for this wave, specifically. Hopefully they won't get anything like this from this wave or any this year!
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#158 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:39 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#159 Postby IcyTundra » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:39 pm

GFS is likely too strong imo. Wouldn't be surprised if this thing stays weak and crashes into Belize or the Yucatan.
3 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#160 Postby Clearcloudz » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:45 pm

IcyTundra wrote:GFS is likely too strong imo. Wouldn't be surprised if this thing stays weak and crashes into Belize or the Yucatan.

A lot of the ensembles show that possibility.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”