2024 Indicators: SST's, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability (Day 16+ Climate Models)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#141 Postby SFLcane » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:16 pm

NotSparta wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Seasonal forecast have come a long way and have improved greatly in recent years let alone 2006, 2013. I have great respect for Philp k and his work IF the Atlantic warming holds with a la nina by peak of hurricane season i have no doupt Philp's April forecast could be record high with good reason. As mentioned if its record busy who exactly will it be for Nemo or the Conus we shall see.

They have improved, yes, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. 2022 wasn't that long ago

Surely, but some of the years being thrown out here like 2013 and 2006 your talking 10 years ago lol in particular Philip k’s work has come a long way. Overall they have improved in particular Last year when everyone was bashing Colorado State he correctly called for a busy season despite El Niño present. Don’t have to be a scientist to see that 2024 has extreme potential if the Atlantic stays warm with La Niña by AS0. 5 majors hurricanes in April is on the table. With a very busy season the odds favor 1-2 getting through but in reality numbers don’t matter just takes 1 in your location.
3 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#142 Postby aspen » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:56 pm

NotSparta wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Seasonal forecast have come a long way and have improved greatly in recent years let alone 2006, 2013. I have great respect for Philp k and his work IF the Atlantic warming holds with a la nina by peak of hurricane season i have no doupt Philp's April forecast could be record high with good reason. As mentioned if its record busy who exactly will it be for Nemo or the Conus we shall see.

They have improved, yes, but that doesn't mean they are perfect. 2022 wasn't that long ago

In hindsight, we really should’ve seen 2022’s bust far in advance. There were two key factors that were present before the season began. First was that it was a triple-dip La Niña, which have yielded less active Atlantic hurricane seasons compared to their first and second-year Nina predecessors. Second was the abnormal warmth near Atlantic Canada, which really went berserk in July-August but was present earlier in the year IIRC. That unusual SSTA configuration helped suppress the tropics until September.

We’ve probably had enough busts by this point to pick out any significant negative factors well in advance — rapid Nino development, a collapse of the THC, or another marine heatwave. However, it’s always possible something else pops up.
8 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

WiscoWx02
Category 1
Category 1

#143 Postby WiscoWx02 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:04 pm

aspen wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

In hindsight, we really should’ve seen 2022’s bust far in advance. There were two key factors that were present before the season began. First was that it was a triple-dip La Niña, which have yielded less active Atlantic hurricane seasons compared to their first and second-year Nina predecessors. Second was the abnormal warmth near Atlantic Canada, which really went berserk in July-August but was present earlier in the year IIRC. That unusual SSTA configuration helped suppress the tropics until September.

We’ve probably had enough busts by this point to pick out any significant negative factors well in advance — rapid Nino development, a collapse of the THC, or another marine heatwave. However, it’s always possible something else pops up.

I agree, you just never know. All this pre-pre season talk about how active of a season it may be would sure be interesting to look back on if something pops up between now and August and the season ends up being quiet. It's all just pure speculation at this point though, all we can do.
The big thing to note is while it does look like some increase in trades is expected in the coming week or so, it won't probably be around for long given the persistent -NAO pattern we have been in curtesy of El Niño. It would take a long period of amplified easterly trades across the tropical Atlantic to cool it down, even back to normal. Where we are right now sorta reminds me of later in the winter of 2020, where warm SST's were being talked about quite a bit by the time lockdowns began because what else could we all talk about or do? :lol:
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#145 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:24 pm

The question is if the +AMO will be around until ASO.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#146 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 pm

cycloneye wrote:The question is if the +AMO will be around until ASO.

Seems highly likely. I feel like a better question is how +AMO it is. Does it somehow maintain at 2023 levels? Or does it fade a little to a more "normal" +AMO?
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

TheWisestofAll
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#147 Postby TheWisestofAll » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:31 pm

NotSparta wrote:
cycloneye wrote:The question is if the +AMO will be around until ASO.

Seems highly likely. I feel like a better question is how +AMO it is. Does it somehow maintain at 2023 levels? Or does it fade a little to a more "normal" +AMO?

I remember seeing somewhere that the MDR climatologically favored to be warmer following an El Nino, but I'm not sure how that works with what we got in 2023. I can barely imagine what an MDR warmer than that would even look like. No way it maintains thru to peak season, does it?
2 likes   

Long John
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#148 Postby Long John » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:12 am

It doesn't need to be at 2023 levels to be hyperactive. 2004, 2017 or 2005 levels of warmth would be enough and we will likely be above those in ASO
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#149 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:01 pm

Neutral conditions for ASO if that panned out would be pretty bad news. That Atlantic is already on fire those April forecast should be... :onfire:

https://twitter.com/dmorris9661/status/1750260772507173001

3 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

2024 Indicators: SST's, ENSO, MSLP, Shear, SAL, Steering, Instability, (Day 16+ Climate Models)

#150 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:44 pm

A post-El Nino season is generally more active.
1 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#151 Postby al78 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:33 am

aspen wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

I'm not convinced about this. Hindsight is easy but as far as triple dip La Nina's are concerned, there have only been three others since 1950 and one of those was in the negative AMO period, which IMO is not enough samples to draw any meaningful conclusion. My understanding of the cause of the inactive August was a combination of a persistent TUTT, Saharan air outbreaks and interaction between the tropics and the mid-latitudes through Rossby wave breaking which further imparted hostile conditions over the MDR. I don't know where abnormal warmth near Canada fits into this or what physical mechanism would cause it to suppress activity (I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I am not aware of one). The reality is that there is always some intra-seasonal variability that is unpredictable which has the potential to make or break a season, for example, 2013 and persistent subsidence over the tropical Atlantic, so any seasonal forecast is going to come with some uncertainty based on these unpredictable factors that can act against the more predictable or lagged observed large scale climate fields such as SST, ENSO, the AMO and the NAO.
9 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#152 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:58 am

SFLcane wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
SFLcane wrote: 5 majors hurricanes in April is on the table.

I assume you're talking predictions? :lol:
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#153 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:04 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

He is talking about the April 3 date when CSU will release their first forecast. :D
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#154 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:22 pm

cycloneye wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

He is talking about the April 3 date when CSU will release their first forecast. :D

Will be worth seeing how bullish they'll be. 18-9-4 was the most aggressive forecast I can recall in recent memory for April back in (gasp) 2013. Given the probable ENSO state by late spring and into the summer + likely continuation of very warm SSTs, will they go even higher?
1 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#155 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:38 pm

Here are the sst's anomalies as of January 29 from Coral Reef and OISST. :crazyeyes: The NAO is positive right now, but will go down to the line between positive and negative soon.

0 likes   

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#156 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 pm

Ahh, who else fondly remembers the days of debating +++AMO’s end? Great times
9 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#157 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:09 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:Ahh, who else fondly remembers the days of debating +++AMO’s end? Great times

Really great times, it generated a lot of good discussions on Twitter and here. Little did we know that hell was just beginning...

.. I really miss those times :cry:
2 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#158 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:59 pm

Hurricane2022 wrote:
weeniepatrol wrote:Ahh, who else fondly remembers the days of debating +++AMO’s end? Great times

Really great times, it generated a lot of good discussions on Twitter and here. Little did we know that hell was just beginning...

Yeah, the more and more I think about it, 2013-2015 was just a blip. We've just emerged from the most active moderate+ strength El Nino Atlantic season in recorded times, and that Nino is about to disappear.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:44 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:
Hurricane2022 wrote:

Yeah, the more and more I think about it, 2013-2015 was just a blip. We've just emerged from the most active moderate+ strength El Nino Atlantic season in recorded times, and that Nino is about to disappear.

Even in warm AMOs, there are cool periods. Vice versa during cool AMOs.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#160 Postby SFLcane » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

AnnularCane wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

My predictions no but it could be in Phils outlook in April. 5 major hurricane + is certainly possible if everything lines up across the Atl.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”