2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models (NMME July forecast is up)

#1521 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:35 am

SFLcane wrote:Luis....

Caribbean-Florida connection? The entire Florida peninsula is wet on this new NMME . :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/DZf0p76q/FLORIDA.png

Yeah I also have to open the eyes for Caribbean. :eek:
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

hurricane2025
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models (NMME July forecast is up)

#1522 Postby hurricane2025 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:35 am

Euro been pretty good this weekend and gfs showing little pattern change, nailed it with Louisiana last time being hot
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1523 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am

cycloneye wrote:

Caribbean-Florida connection? The entire Florida peninsula is wet on this new NMME . :eek:

Yeah I also have to open the eyes for Caribbean. :eek:

The entire Florida peninsula is wet.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1524 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am

Not sure about that. They're kind of disconnected. Would more suggest fronts I'd guess
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Cat5James
Category 1
Category 1

#1525 Postby Cat5James » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am

NotSparta wrote:

Not sure about that. They're kind of disconnected. Would more suggest fronts I'd guess

The heaviest precipitation anomaly across Florida is tilted NW to SE. Appears opposite of a front
2 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1526 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am

NotSparta wrote:

That is alot of fronts lol since the NMME has Florida wet for ASO. Call what you want but its a fairly wet signal for the entire state.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1527 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

Cat5James wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

The heaviest precipitation anomaly across Florida is tilted NW to SE. Appears opposite of a front

Are you looking at the same map as I am? I see a big NE-SW band of high precipitation with Florida at the base. Looks very frontal
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

#1528 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

That precip layout looks kinda similar to what you would see for a Caribbean runner making landfall near W coast FL, also in line with the EURO precip forecasts for August (note how dry the open Atlantic is)

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1529 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:54 am

NotSparta wrote:
Cat5James wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Are you looking at the same map as I am? I see a big NE-SW band of high precipitation with Florida at the base. Looks very frontal

Its a front maybe we will see some 70's in late aug lol. Either way its interesting to see. Should be a long busy year.
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1530 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:57 am

Cpv17 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Wxman57 your call of threats to the NE gulf, Florida , and the caribbean are valid it appears on the NMME.

https://i.postimg.cc/cHwx5QcV/nmme.png

I think his thoughts were based on the persistent and downright hellish death ridge that has been over us in Texas for months now. Of course, patterns can change, but it has definitely been in place for at least two months now, with little signs of budging.

The Euro forecast was showing a favorable look for the NW Gulf a couple days ago for tc activity but the NMME is showing a more favorable look towards the eastern Gulf it appears to me.

I think it's way too early to speculate on whether or not the NW or NE Gulf will have impacts this season. I remember in 2017 many said the death ridge would protect Texas from anything and then Harvey came. The ridge has not been staying in position all summer either. Yes, it has mainly been situated over the Central Plains, but this weekend it is supposed to shift to the Four Corners, and the GFS was showing it building over the Southeast eventually. All it takes is for one storm to be moving towards the Gulf when the ridge is situated to our east and then the NW Gulf has trouble.
2 likes   

skyline385
Category 5
Category 5

2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models (NMME July forecast is up)

#1531 Postby skyline385 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:01 am

NotSparta wrote:

Some of these fronts will probably yank systems though FL from the Caribbean as well.

https://twitter.com/andyhazelton/status/1545050367636828161

Last edited by skyline385 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
4 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2022 Indicators (SSTs/SAL/MSLP/Shear/Steering/Instability) and >Day 16 Models

#1532 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 am

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
I think his thoughts were based on the persistent and downright hellish death ridge that has been over us in Texas for months now. Of course, patterns can change, but it has definitely been in place for at least two months now, with little signs of budging.

The Euro forecast was showing a favorable look for the NW Gulf a couple days ago for tc activity but the NMME is showing a more favorable look towards the eastern Gulf it appears to me.

I think it's way too early to speculate on whether or not the NW or NE Gulf will have impacts this season. I remember in 2017 many said the death ridge would protect Texas from anything and then Harvey came. The ridge has not been staying in position all summer either. Yes, it has mainly been situated over the Central Plains, but this weekend it is supposed to shift to the Four Corners, and the GFS was showing it building over the Southeast eventually. All it takes is for one storm to be moving towards the Gulf when the ridge is situated to our east and then the NW Gulf has trouble.

Yeah I’m just conflicted between those 2.
0 likes   

zzh
Category 1
Category 1

#1533 Postby zzh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 am

Notice the big dry area in SW, central Atlantic on the NMME forecast. Maybe it's king TUTT?
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1534 Postby toad strangler » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:36 am

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Great post. None and I mean NONE of these long range models know where individual storms are going. What is eye popping is the steady stream of signals that say buckle up Atlantic Basin. We have another 3 weeks or so to truly rest.
2 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1535 Postby SoupBone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:31 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

I'm not suggesting that Texas is all fine and dandy, I've been here since 2005 and clearly understand that all it takes is one. The ridging may be being displaced here and there, but it's also been very persistent in its location over Texas for several months now. I don't recall the placement or duration of the ridge in 2017, but I don't recall a recent year with this firm of a death ridge in place.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HoustonFrog
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1536 Postby HoustonFrog » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:57 pm

SoupBone wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I don't recall the placement or duration of the ridge in 2017, but I don't recall a recent year with this firm of a death ridge in place.

2011?
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1537 Postby toad strangler » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:09 pm

IRT the disco we were having earlier on SST values and how much they effect activity

http://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1545083025054019584

7 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1538 Postby SoupBone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:10 pm

HoustonFrog wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
captainbarbossa19 wrote:

I don't recall the placement or duration of the ridge in 2017, but I don't recall a recent year with this firm of a death ridge in place.

2011?

Others here have much better memories than I do. :lol:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1539 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:24 pm

skyline385 wrote:

That precip layout looks kinda similar to what you would see for a Caribbean runner making landfall near W coast FL, also in line with the EURO precip forecasts for August (note how dry the open Atlantic is)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220707/bc8f9e4a5f79cb5f47f7e48cfd80a47b.jpg

It looks like a lot of east coast runners. Eastern NC seems to be very wet. We are in a drought but too much is also bad.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1540 Postby SFLcane » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:26 pm

2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”