2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#1601 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#1602 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:47 pm

This is a great example of why homebrew systems that pop up near land are arguably scarier than powerful MDR systems.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#1603 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:29 pm

Exactly what I’ve said. Whereas ACE has been far above average for a solid El Niño, the tracks have been very Ninoish with a mere one TC moving W or WNW W of 74 W.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1604 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:05 am

With the 2 new AOIs, there is a decent chance that the Atlantic reaches 17 nameable storms by the end of this month. In fact, we are currently ahead of the WPAC and EPAC named storm-wise. This is quite an impressive feat.
8 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#1605 Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:11 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:With the 2 new AOIs, there is a decent chance that the Atlantic reaches 17 nameable storms by the end of this month. In fact, we are currently ahead of the WPAC and EPAC named storm-wise. This is quite an impressive feat.

17 nameable storms by the end of this month is not particularly impressive, though. That would mean that September produced only 6 storms, which is below the average for these past few seasons. 2018 and 2019 produced 7, 2020 produced 10, 2021 produced 9, and 2022 produced 6. That is an average of 8 storms in September.
0 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#1606 Postby Category5Kaiju » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:52 am

WalterWhite wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:With the 2 new AOIs, there is a decent chance that the Atlantic reaches 17 nameable storms by the end of this month. In fact, we are currently ahead of the WPAC and EPAC named storm-wise. This is quite an impressive feat.

17 nameable storms by the end of this month is not particularly impressive, though. That would mean that September produced only 6 storms, which is below the average for these past few seasons. 2018 and 2019 produced 7, 2020 produced 10, 2021 produced 9, and 2022 produced 6. That is an average of 8 storms in September.

August tells quite a different story though. And the other years where the Atlantic beat the WPAC and EPAC in NS count: 2005, 2010, and 2020. 2021 for a bit also had the Atlantic leading.
1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#1607 Postby Teban54 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:00 am

I'm not sure why people are already downcasting on September 19, tbh.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1608 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:10 am

In what world is 17 NS by the end of September not impressive? Average for the entire season is 14 so getting to 17 by Oct 1 especially during an El Niño year is pretty dang good
10 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1609 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:02 am

WalterWhite wrote:

The past few seasons is not enough time to take an average. 2020 was the exception, not the norm. The long term average for September is closer to 4-5 storms. ACE is a better metric for evaluating activity than named storms. For instance, 2007 had 8 storms in September with well below average ACE while 2017 had only 4 storms and the highest ACE on record for the month.
7 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1610 Postby psyclone » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:19 pm

Maybe it's too soon to ask but for the Gulf and Caribbean regions... Are we done? It's been quiet in those areas and while this year has been crazy active...it's time to wonder if the late season Nino shutdown may actually still happen.
1 likes   

WalterWhite
Category 1
Category 1

#1611 Postby WalterWhite » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:34 pm

psyclone wrote:Maybe it's too soon to ask but for the Gulf and Caribbean regions... Are we done? It's been quiet in those areas and while this year has been crazy active...it's time to wonder if the late season Nino shutdown may actually still happen.

Not necessarily. You can still get major hurricanes in the Western Atlantic in October and November during El Niño years. Hurricane Michael (2018) is a perfect example of that.
0 likes   

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#1612 Postby Woofde » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:58 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:

The past few seasons is not enough time to take an average. 2020 was the exception, not the norm. The long term average for September is closer to 4-5 storms. ACE is a better metric for evaluating activity than named storms. For instance, 2007 had 8 storms in September with well below average ACE while 2017 had only 4 storms and the highest ACE on record for the month.
You can tell expectations have been changed a lot. We've been on a hot streak since 2016 with above average seasons and highly impactful storms. People seem to act like that's the norm now. So far this season, we already have had a major impact the US, above normal ACE and storms. In the past during an El nino year that would've been described as insanity. El ninos usually average 76 ACE, with Nigel we are headed towards 115 already, and that's not counting what happens in October and November.
5 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#1613 Postby IcyTundra » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:45 pm

psyclone wrote:Maybe it's too soon to ask but for the Gulf and Caribbean regions... Are we done? It's been quiet in those areas and while this year has been crazy active...it's time to wonder if the late season Nino shutdown may actually still happen.

Depends what part of the gulf you’re at. The further east you are the higher chance of a hurricane strike in October. It is very rare for places like Texas to get hit in October for example.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1614 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Shushhhh, don't let the tropics even hear you. As far as i'm concerned, i'm on Cold Front watch (fine but, i'll take slightly milder and lower dp for now)!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#1615 Postby Ianswfl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:37 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Shushhhh, don't let the tropics even hear you. As far as i'm concerned, i'm on Cold Front watch (fine but, i'll take slightly milder and lower dp for now)!

Gfs ensembles say otherwise
0 likes   

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#1616 Postby Hurricane2022 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 pm

0 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1617 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:07 pm

0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

ThunderForce
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1618 Postby ThunderForce » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:15 pm

Here's the current Global Tropics Outlook from the CPC.
Oddly, they dropped the >20% formation chance for tropical cyclones in the western Caribbean and Gulf in Week 2 from the last outlook (it was Week 3 there).
0 likes   
Please refer to the NWS, NHC, SPC or a professional meteorologist for information and decision making during storms.

Ianswfl
Category 1
Category 1

#1619 Postby Ianswfl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:39 pm

ThunderForce wrote:Here's the current Global Tropics Outlook from the CPC.
https://i.imgur.com/gENGSzp.png
Oddly, they dropped the >20% formation chance for tropical cyclones in the western Caribbean and Gulf in Week 2 from the last outlook (it was Week 3 there).

With that map they still think it's mid September! The gefs is hinting at western Atlantic action at the end of sept into oct
0 likes   

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2023 Indicators (SST, SAL, MSLP, Wind shear, Steering, Instability) and Day 16+ Models

#1620 Postby Woofde » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:54 pm

AnnularCane wrote:

I don't know what I'm looking at. :(
It's showing rising motion in the Atlantic and America's starting in October. Generally that would be favorable and not El ninoish. It seems pretty reasonable considering the absolute warmth of the Atlantic right now. The basin has finally started cooling (In large part thanks to all the Hurricanes taking a chunk out), but we are crazily enough currently still warmer than any other season's peak warmth.Image
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”