Martin County

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#21 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:02 am

Good morning from the Martin County EOC. No real bad weather yet. The heavy rain just started. We're getting gusts to 43 mph. We still expect the eye to pass over late this morning. Power is out in parts of the northern city and Rio/Jensen area. Transformers already blowing and lines are reported down in several areas. More later when I have new information.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby SouthFLTropics » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:06 am

Thanks for the updates from your location BPJRO51...I am in western PSL on the St Lucie, Martin line near Becker...We are seeing about the same as you are but are definitely expecting worse...Stay tuned...

SouthFLTropics
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

Florida_brit
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby Florida_brit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:09 am

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming!
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#24 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:43 am

Power out just about everywhere. No reported damage yet. The Fire department and Sheriff's Office have pulled there units off the roads. Stuart PD will come off shortly. No more response until the eye is overhead. Sustained winds now in the 40's with highest gust at 67 mph.
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#25 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:50 am

Three house fires out of control in the Hobe Ridge section of Hobe Sound. Jumping house to house. Martin County Fire Rescue is not responding due to the high winds. MCSO is sending deputies.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby Terry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:57 am

Three house fires out of control in the Hobe Ridge section of Hobe Sound. Jumping house to house. Martin County Fire Rescue is not responding due to the high winds. MCSO is sending deputies.

Yikes - keep me posted on that. I have friends with a house down there and I forget their street name.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby SouthFLTropics » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:57 am

Power is out here in western PSL near Becker Road...Lost it around 9:15AM...That is horrible about the house fires...Our prayers will be with everyone the victims, MCSO and MC Fire Rescue...Hopefully this girl will be outta here soon...

SouthFLTropics
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#28 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:48 am

Fire Department was able to get out during the eye and control that fire. It was only one duplex that was a total loss. No one home.
Only southern Martin County got the eye.

Here in the EOC the rain and wind lightened but thats it. The highest gust we measured here was 85 mph.

Report from Broward that the west side of the eye is worst than the east side.
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#29 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:45 am

Initial reports from officers is that damage is very minor at this time. No reported injuries. Only reports are for wires down all over the county. West eyewall bearing down on us now.
0 likes   

Eyes2theSkies
Category 1
Category 1

eyewall #2

#30 Postby Eyes2theSkies » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:17 am

I just talked to my mother-in-law in Hobe Sound. There's 4 adults crammed into a tiny apartment without A/C, so when the eye passed over, they opened the front door to air things out. They're closing everything up again because they're getting ready for Wilma Round #2. They didn't venture past the front door, so I don't have a lot of news about Round #1 damage to the area. Anyone else see anything? :roll:
0 likes   

Florida_brit
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#31 Postby Florida_brit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:15 pm

Martin County damage does not appear as bad as last year's storms
By Gabriel Margasak
staff writer
Posted at 1:04 p.m.
October 24, 2005

JENSEN BEACH — The eye of Hurricane Wilma lingered just long enough for rescue crews to venture out Monday afternoon, where they found some power lines down and a few metal roofs peeled up on mobile homes in Ocean Breeze Park.

Small tree branches littered Jensen Beach Boulevard and Indian River Drive. There was some flooding in yards and parking lots but most roads were passable. There appeared to be little significant structural damage to businesses along U.S. 1 and the boulevard, and not much damage to larger homes.

Though the damage did not appear as extensive as the destruction left by 2004's storms, the back side of the storm had only just begun. And at 12:30 p.m., more damage was feared as the winds were much worse than the first half.

During the eye in Jensen Beach, rescue crews took one patient to the hospital with an injury from a fall inside a home. No other injuries were reported.

Areas of Indian River Drive that had washed out north of the Jenesn Beach Bridge were intact.

Conchy Joe's landmark tiki hut, destroyed last year, also appeared fine.

Fire crews were locked down in their stations again about noon.

From Stuart news

Good news re Conchy joes!

Anyone know how Hutchingson Island faired? Or Bathtub bay? Or the boat Marina at Jensen?
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#32 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:38 pm

Getting first damage reports into the EOC. Holiday Mobile Home Park sustained significant structural damage. Back side of the storm was much worse than the front side. Officers are doing search and rescue throughout city. Police department is damaged.
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#33 Postby BPJR051 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:17 pm

Lots of damage throughout county. As bad or worse than last year with Frances and Jeanne. No reported injuries of deaths.

Lots of people out driving in the streets hampering our efforts. Lines down and flooding.

Curfew will go into effect at 1900 tonight until 0700.

On a good note, Nextel is mostly working helping with communications. Radio system working fine.
0 likes   

BPJR051
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#34 Postby BPJR051 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:34 am

96% of Martin County still w/o power. Water is flowing to most of the county. Indiantown and Hutchinson Island is under boil water order.

The four water/ice distribution sites will start at noon. Already 100's of cars lined up at each location waiting.

Winn Dixie at Monterey and US 1 is open so people can go there for food and water if they are willing to pay.

Although we sustained significant structural damage throughout county, there were no reports of serious injuries and so far no deaths reported.

Curfew will remain in effect until further notice. 7pm to 7am.

On a personal note, my new roof I got after last years storms did great. Did not lose a single shingle! No damage. A couple of houses on our block were really hit hard. We got our phone service back last night. Still no power though. Got nice and cool here last night, into the low 50's so it was chilly for us south Florida folks.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”