2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#2161 Postby SFLcane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2162 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:26 am

12z GFS with EPAC yet again
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2163 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

0Z EC ensemble favored the Caribbean over the EPAC by a very large margin
4 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2164 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:53 am

Alyono wrote:0Z EC ensemble favored the Caribbean over the EPAC by a very large margin

When do you believe the OP Euro will switch over to the Caribbean side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2165 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:03 pm

The season is over for the US mainland as far as the 12z GFS OP is concerned.
Last edited by toad strangler on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2166 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 pm

12z Canadian with a TS that cuts through W Cuba and brushes S FL on its way NE
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2167 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:11 pm

WeatherEmperor wrote:
Alyono wrote:0Z EC ensemble favored the Caribbean over the EPAC by a very large margin

once we get closer to formation
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2168 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 pm

12Z GFS ensembles are sending a strong signal and on the Caribbean side:

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2169 Postby SFLcane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Thats a good signal across the caribbean...

0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2170 Postby LarryWx » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:27 pm

^ Yep, 4 members of the 20 12Z GEFS hit FL between 10/29 and 11/2: 2 with a H and 2with a TS.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2171 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:30 pm

LarryWx wrote:^ Yep, 4 members of the 20 12Z GEFS hit FL between 10/29 and 11/2: 2 with a H and 2with a TS.

That batting average would sit down even Aaron Judge
1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2172 Postby blp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I think the other models were to quick with the arrival for the favorable upward motion. I think the Euro might have the right idea in delayed development.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2173 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:01 pm

12z Euro OP pretty much dropped development in EPAC and nada in Caribbean either.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#2174 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

blp wrote:I think the other models were too quick with the arrival for the favorable upward motion. I think the Euro might have the right idea in delayed development.

I agree. In fact, the 12Z operational run of the ECMWF has trended notably weaker with the eastern-Pacific vortex vs. earlier runs. Pressures over the Caribbean are much lower than previously, and for the first time the lowest environmental (background) pressures are over the Caribbean rather than the eastern Pacific. This applies to the time frame from 25 October onward. I think this marks the beginning of an anticipated trend toward the Caribbean on the operational runs. The EPS and GEFS are more critical than the operational runs, and these ensemble means lend net support to the Caribbean vs. the eastern Pacific. Once the ECMWF operation run drops the eastern-Pacific genesis, I fully expect a much more consolidated, deeper vortex to show up on the Caribbean side. There would be no competing system nearby...

toad strangler wrote:12z Euro OP pretty much dropped development in EPAC and nada in Caribbean either.

I respectfully disagree with the bold portion. I think the MSLP data show a trend toward lower pressures over the Caribbean:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017101912/ecmwf_mslpa_atl_10.png

If the ECMWF were to discard and shift from eastern-Pacific to Caribbean genesis, we could easily witness a substantial storm, possibly a major hurricane. The environment looks to be quite conducive to development and intensification: upper-level anticyclonic flow, a potential TUTT over the Sargasso Sea (hence outflow channel), low vertical wind shear, abundant moisture, +VVP, positive PDO/negative NAO (West-Coast ridge, Scandinavian block), low environmental pressures, low-level convergence, climatology, and MJO-induced influence. The trough (North America)/ridge (Caribbean)/TUTT (southwestern Atlantic) pattern supports intensification of a system in between, under the mid-level ridge axis...

But yes, we are still at an early stage.
Last edited by Shell Mound on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2175 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Last 3 images of the 12z Euro still going with Epac development but turns the system more sharply NE towards land

0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

2017 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#2176 Postby WeatherEmperor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm

12z NAVGEM much weaker and slower development in the Caribbean. Has just weak low pressure in the area at the end of the run. No longer showing TS or Hurricane like before.

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#2177 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Alyono wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:

What a HUGE bust this will possibly be for the GFS & Euro. When was the last time the less reliable global models outdone the two big boys?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2178 Postby blp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Alyono wrote:
WeatherEmperor wrote:

What a HUGE bust this will possibly be for the GFS & Euro. When was the last time the less reliable global models outdone the two big boys?

I think what is going to bust is the less reliable models. They are too fast with development. You already see the CMC and NAVGEM backing down. This one is going to take time to develop.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2179 Postby blp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
blp wrote:I think the other models were too quick with the arrival for the favorable upward motion. I think the Euro might have the right idea in delayed development.

I agree. In fact, the 12Z operational run of the ECMWF has trended notably weaker with the eastern-Pacific vortex vs. earlier runs. Pressures over the Caribbean are much lower than previously, and for the first time the lowest environmental (background) pressures are over the Caribbean rather than the eastern Pacific. This applies to the time frame from 25 October onward. I think this marks the beginning of an anticipated trend toward the Caribbean on the operational runs. The EPS and GEFS are more critical than the operational runs, and these ensemble means lend net support to the Caribbean vs. the eastern Pacific. Once the ECMWF operation run drops the eastern-Pacific genesis, I fully expect a much more consolidated, deeper vortex to show up on the Caribbean side. There would be no competing system nearby...

toad strangler wrote:12z Euro OP pretty much dropped development in EPAC and nada in Caribbean either.

I respectfully disagree with the bold portion. I think the MSLP data show a trend toward lower pressures over the Caribbean:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017101912/ecmwf_mslpa_atl_10.png

If the ECMWF were to discard and shift from eastern-Pacific to Caribbean genesis, we could easily witness a substantial storm, possibly a major hurricane. The environment looks to be quite conducive to development and intensification: upper-level anticyclonic flow, a potential TUTT over the Sargasso Sea (hence outflow channel), low vertical wind shear, abundant moisture, +VVP, positive PDO/negative NAO (West-Coast ridge, Scandinavian block), low environmental pressures, low-level convergence, climatology, and MJO-induced influence. The trough (North America)/ridge (Caribbean)/TUTT (southwestern Atlantic) pattern supports intensification of a system in between, under the mid-level ridge axis...

But yes, we are still at an early stage.

I agree, for the first time in a while I see lower pressures on the EPS.

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2180 Postby SFLcane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”