2014 hurricane season forecasts

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#221 Postby gigabite » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
gigabite wrote:http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/829/5z7d.jpg

This is 2 for 4. This Season two tropical depressions have formed in the span of 4 days either side of the
New Moon, Hurricane Amanda, and Tropical Depression Four. The mechanism seems to be more than just
the effect of atmospheric tide. This outcome is repeats every season. The percentage is generally above
50, and can get as high as 80.

That's the East Pacific not the Atlantic FYI. There's an EPAC seasonal thread :P

Does that mean you don't disagree with the thesis on a philosophic, or religious point? Some people believe that the moon is just to far away to shape weather, and others believe that celestial mechanics violates "Divine Providence."
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#222 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:39 am

gigabite wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
gigabite wrote:http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/829/5z7d.jpg

This is 2 for 4. This Season two tropical depressions have formed in the span of 4 days either side of the
New Moon, Hurricane Amanda, and Tropical Depression Four. The mechanism seems to be more than just
the effect of atmospheric tide. This outcome is repeats every season. The percentage is generally above
50, and can get as high as 80.

That's the East Pacific not the Atlantic FYI. There's an EPAC seasonal thread :P

Does that mean you don't disagree with the thesis on a philosophic, or religious point? Some people believe that the moon is just to far away to shape weather, and others believe that celestial mechanics violates "Divine Providence."

What does this mean for the WPAC season? I see Jul 1 in the Malay Peninsula and onwards in the WPAC...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#223 Postby tolakram » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:45 pm

gigabite wrote:Does that mean you don't disagree with the thesis on a philosophic, or religious point? Some people believe that the moon is just to far away to shape weather, and others believe that celestial mechanics violates "Divine Providence."

I'm not sure I understand why it matters and that is certainly not a discussion we want to have here. Thanks.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#224 Postby gigabite » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:59 pm

euro6208 wrote:What does this mean for the WPAC season? I see Jul 1 in the Malay Peninsula and onwards in the WPAC...

There is an invest 90w at 7.9 North and East 156.4, that just popped. Tomorrow is the last day of the event phase, and latitude of the New Moon is at 9.8. There doesn't seem to be much moisture there and the event's energy is almost equal to normal. I don't think it will register in my database.

When the event is over the Sahara earthquake frequencies seem to increase. There has been a few magnitude 4's in Greece and a few magnitude 6's in the wpac. There was a 6 near Bonin Islands, Japan region today 2014-06-30 15:55:32 UTC-04:00. Tomorrow the event will be passing from the Indian Plate onto the Sunda Plate.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#225 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm looking at the current Subsurface anomalies in the Enso and it is indicating the the ENSO will probably stay in a +neutral state when almost everybody was expecting a Super El Nino in March so what I'm thinking based on that is that the Caribbean and MDR might open up to more favorable conditions as we come into the peak of the hurricane season and this development could cause a lot of people to eat crow with the low numbers forecasted to go with an El Nino that may not happen

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#226 Postby chaser1 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 pm

tolakram wrote:
gigabite wrote:Does that mean you don't disagree with the thesis on a philosophic, or religious point? Some people believe that the moon is just to far away to shape weather, and others believe that celestial mechanics violates "Divine Providence."

I'm not sure I understand why it matters and that is certainly not a discussion we want to have here. Thanks.

Though I agree that this particular forum might not be appropriate for discussion of a "moon phase" tropical development forecast tool, I'd be quite interested to hear more and better understand the mechanics of potential gravitational impact on our tropical season. Perhaps a new thread within "Talkin Tropics" can be initiated for those interested?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#227 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:49 pm

I have never seen the Atlantic so hostile for tropical cyclones.

The first image shows 850-200mb wind shear. Blue colors indicate above-average values, while orange values indicate below-average values.

The second image shows 200mb velocity potential. Brown and orange colors indicate upper-level divergence, which indicates that air is colliding in the upper atmosphere and sinking. Sinking air dries out the column, making it difficult for tropical cyclones. Blue and green colors indicate upper-level divergence, which indicates that air is pulling apart. When this occurs, air from the bottom of the column rushes in to fill the void, lowering surface pressures. This is good for tropical cyclone development.

The third image is a common Saharan Air Layer (SAL) -- dust -- map. A stronger-than-average Bermuda High has allowed for above-average amounts of SAL to spill into the central and eastern Atlantic despite a wetter-than-average African Sahel.

The fourth image is a weekly-averaged sea surface temperature anomaly map. Though the May (still waiting for June's) AMO value came in slightly positive, the SST configuration reminds me more of the -AMO, with a cool horseshoe-shaped ring of below-average values from Newfoundland to the Azores down to the central and eastern Atlantic. The only positive so far is that above-average...up to 2C...waters are located off the East Coast.

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#228 Postby tolakram » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:20 pm

chaser1 wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Though I agree that this particular forum might not be appropriate for discussion of a "moon phase" tropical development forecast tool, I'd be quite interested to hear more and better understand the mechanics of potential gravitational impact on our tropical season. Perhaps a new thread within "Talkin Tropics" can be initiated for those interested?

I was responding to what I quoted, not the idea of moon phases influencing tropical weather.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#229 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 am

Hurricaneman wrote:I'm looking at the current Subsurface anomalies in the Enso and it is indicating the the ENSO will probably stay in a +neutral state when almost everybody was expecting a Super El Nino in March so what I'm thinking based on that is that the Caribbean and MDR might open up to more favorable conditions as we come into the peak of the hurricane season and this development could cause a lot of people to eat crow with the low numbers forecasted to go with an El Nino that may not happen

+1
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#230 Postby ConvergenceZone » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:I have never seen the Atlantic so hostile for tropical cyclones.

The first image shows 850-200mb wind shear. Blue colors indicate above-average values, while orange values indicate below-average values.

The second image shows 200mb velocity potential. Brown and orange colors indicate upper-level divergence, which indicates that air is colliding in the upper atmosphere and sinking. Sinking air dries out the column, making it difficult for tropical cyclones. Blue and green colors indicate upper-level divergence, which indicates that air is pulling apart. When this occurs, air from the bottom of the column rushes in to fill the void, lowering surface pressures. This is good for tropical cyclone development.

The third image is a common Saharan Air Layer (SAL) -- dust -- map. A stronger-than-average Bermuda High has allowed for above-average amounts of SAL to spill into the central and eastern Atlantic despite a wetter-than-average African Sahel.

The fourth image is a weekly-averaged sea surface temperature anomaly map. Though the May (still waiting for June's) AMO value came in slightly positive, the SST configuration reminds me more of the -AMO, with a cool horseshoe-shaped ring of below-average values from Newfoundland to the Azores down to the central and eastern Atlantic. The only positive so far is that above-average...up to 2C...waters are located off the East Coast.

http://i.imgur.com/qiY7ycB.gif
http://i.imgur.com/mw4h7fG.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Qrb60jq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DUYt8ow.gif

Yea, I agree, I wouldn't be sutprised if we dont see any more activity at all until early to mid-September and with such a low activity year expected, this shouldn't surprise anyone....
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#231 Postby WPBWeather » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 am

I think it might be a little early to "quiet down" the season. Some of the data shown are lagging (not leading) indicators. And some are more points in time and do not necessarily show a trend. In any event, last season was called by some the most hostile environment for tropical development too. And the season before that, etc. A most probable neutral El Nino seems the only sure thing developing at the moment.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#232 Postby NDG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am

We neutral conditions remaining in Nino 3.4 longer than expected and with CFSv2 continuing to persist for Nino 1+2 to continue cooling down some more I would expect for conditions in the tropical Atlantic to become better during the peak of the Hurricane season so we may see a busier ASO period than many originally thought, IMO.
Conditions in the western Subtropical Atlantic are still forecasted to remain favorable so I would expect that's where we will to see storms blossom like Arthur did.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2014 hurricane season forecasts

#233 Postby tolakram » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:24 am

I'm starting to wonder if instability is also a lagging indicator. Is instability low because we haven't had any tropical disturbances, or is the lack of tropical disturbances due to low instability?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 pm

If any of may analog years most of which are weak to moderate El Ninos happen in any way I think that we will be waiting until Early to mid August and likely its then that I believe things are going to go pop in the Atlantic and I think that the East Coast really needs to be paying attention but don't let your guard down if you live anywhere on the coastline

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#235 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:46 pm

NDG wrote:We neutral conditions remaining in Nino 3.4 longer than expected and with CFSv2 continuing to persist for Nino 1+2 to continue cooling down some more I would expect for conditions in the tropical Atlantic to become better during the peak of the Hurricane season so we may see a busier ASO period than many originally thought, IMO.
Conditions in the western Subtropical Atlantic are still forecasted to remain favorable so I would expect that's where we will to see storms blossom like Arthur did.

The fact that we already had a Cat.2 hurricane off the SE Coast by the beginning of July is what interest me.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#236 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 pm

None of the factors I mentioned above are being moderated by ENSO since the atmosphere has not yet responded to the warm waters in the Pacific, so saying that we might get a busier season because El Nino isn't materializing as once expected isn't really a good point.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#237 Postby NDG » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:50 am

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:None of the factors I mentioned above are being moderated by ENSO since the atmosphere has not yet responded to the warm waters in the Pacific, so saying that we might get a busier season because El Nino isn't materializing as once expected isn't really a good point.

The atmosphere did respond to the warm waters of the eastern Pacific in our part of the world, one good example has been the very high windshear across the Caribbean. You do not find such high windshear across the Caribbean when cool neutral or La Nina conditions are present across the eastern Nino regions, especially Nino 1+2.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#238 Postby PTrackerLA » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am

What's interesting to me is it seems the weather patterns are starting to resemble 2004 with these anomalous troughs coming down in the east. That season got off to a slow start until the very end of July and then boom. I distinctly remember record breaking cold for this area while Hurricane Charley was being pulled over the west coast of Florida. We had lows in the 50s in August! It seems to me that similar upper level pattern could be in place this season but will there be any systems to take advantage of this?
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm

PTrackerLA wrote:What's interesting to me is it seems the weather patterns are starting to resemble 2004 with these anomalous troughs coming down in the east. That season got off to a slow start until the very end of July and then boom. I distinctly remember record breaking cold for this area while Hurricane Charley was being pulled over the west coast of Florida. We had lows in the 50s in August! It seems to me that similar upper level pattern could be in place this season but will there be any systems to take advantage of this?

The pattern is very much like 2004 but the main difference is that the MDR has below normal instability and there is screaming shear in the Caribbean but the fact that 2004 is brought up at all is making me stay vigilant as there could be a problem if the Caribbean shear goes away.

And another note is there were e storms that formed in the MDR{Frances, Danielle and Ivan} in which I don't think a storm like them is going to happen but the storms that formed west of 50W are the type I do expect come August based on the pattern and don't be surprised even if not likely if a Charley type system happens and shows us that while the MDR is dry and stable that conditions farther west can't be more favorable

0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#240 Postby StormingB81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:20 pm

That is probably one thing Florida residents dont want to hear.....2004 was a bad year for Florida.

Hurricaneman wrote:
PTrackerLA wrote:What's interesting to me is it seems the weather patterns are starting to resemble 2004 with these anomalous troughs coming down in the east. That season got off to a slow start until the very end of July and then boom. I distinctly remember record breaking cold for this area while Hurricane Charley was being pulled over the west coast of Florida. We had lows in the 50s in August! It seems to me that similar upper level pattern could be in place this season but will there be any systems to take advantage of this?

The pattern is very much like 2004 but the main difference is that the MDR has below normal instability and there is screaming shear in the Caribbean but the fact that 2004 is brought up at all is making me stay vigilant as there could be a problem if the Caribbean shear goes away.

And another note is there were e storms that formed in the MDR{Frances, Danielle and Ivan} in which I don't think a storm like them is going to happen but the storms that formed west of 50W are the type I do expect come August based on the pattern and don't be surprised even if not likely if a Charley type system happens and shows us that while the MDR is dry and stable that conditions farther west can't be more favorable

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”