2020 TCRs

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 TCRs

#301 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed May 19, 2021 7:42 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Please tell me this is a nightmare and that Iota was not actually downgraded. 917mb bro. 917. Matthew should be cat 3 at this point. :cry:

There's been Cat 4s that have had pressures like that in the past, although very few.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#302 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed May 19, 2021 7:46 am

Weather Dude wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:Please tell me this is a nightmare and that Iota was not actually downgraded. 917mb bro. 917. Matthew should be cat 3 at this point. :cry:

There's been Cat 4s that have had pressures like that in the past, although very few.
Yes but not at their peak and they were weakening or undergoing ERCs. No hurricane in the atlantic that i know of has ever peaked below 920mb and not been a cat 5 at peak, except for Hurricane Michael, which we all know is no longer the case.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#303 Postby aspen » Wed May 19, 2021 7:53 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

Yes but not at their peak and they were weakening or undergoing ERCs. No hurricane in the atlantic that i know of has ever peaked below 920mb and not been a cat 5 at peak, except for Hurricane Michael, which we all know is no longer the case.

Hurricane Opal was 130 kt and 916 mbar. I wonder what it would’ve been assessed as if SFMR existed in 1995.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#304 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed May 19, 2021 7:55 am

aspen wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:There's been Cat 4s that have had pressures like that in the past, although very few.

Hurricane Opal was 130 kt and 916 mbar. I wonder what it would’ve been assessed as if SFMR existed in 1995.

Nice find. Cannot believe I forgot that one.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#305 Postby Iceresistance » Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
aspen wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote: Yes but not at their peak and they were weakening or undergoing ERCs. No hurricane in the atlantic that i know of has ever peaked below 920mb and not been a cat 5 at peak, except for Hurricane Michael, which we all know is no longer the case.

Hurricane Gloria in 1985, 125 knots (145 mph) & 919 MB . . .
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#306 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed May 19, 2021 10:17 am

I know that the keyboard has the numbers 4 and 5 next to each other but Jesus, that seems a little bit conservative for it to not establish a Cat 5.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#307 Postby jasons2k » Wed May 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
aspen wrote:Hurricane Opal was 130 kt and 916 mbar. I wonder what it would’ve been assessed as if SFMR existed in 1995.

Hurricane Gloria in 1985, 125 knots (145 mph) & 919 MB . . .

The first storm I tracked from start to finish.
I would call Pat Prokop up on WTOC after school for the latest update.
1 likes   

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#308 Postby al78 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:52 am

Although the vegetation looks shredded, the buildings look in remarkably good condition given they experienced a borderline category 4/5 hurricane, from the ones I can see clearly, they have their roofs pretty much intact. I would expect at least a few of those to have completely lost their roofs if they experienced 155 mph sustained winds with higher gusts.
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#309 Postby Ubuntwo » Fri May 21, 2021 12:38 pm

al78 wrote:

Although the vegetation looks shredded, the buildings look in remarkably good condition given they experienced a borderline category 4/5 hurricane, from the ones I can see clearly, they have their roofs pretty much intact. I would expect at least a few of those to have completely lost their roofs if they experienced 155 mph sustained winds with higher gusts.

By the time it reached Haulover, Iota was well past its peak. The TCR pins that landfall @ 125 kts which in my unprofessional opinion looks about right. It did, however, produce a 26+ foot surge at that locale.

For damage from near-peak Iota, look at Providencia which clipped its eyewall. The island sustained extremely heavy tree damage with debarking, and extensive damage to even very well built structures and roofs. It's consistent with damage from storms like Michael, though clearly just a shade below Irma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh4nIdAjRtU
5 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#310 Postby al78 » Sat May 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Ubuntwo wrote:
al78 wrote:

By the time it reached Haulover, Iota was well past its peak. The TCR pins that landfall @ 125 kts which in my unprofessional opinion looks about right. It did, however, produce a 26+ foot surge at that locale.

For damage from near-peak Iota, look at Providencia which clipped its eyewall. The island sustained extremely heavy tree damage with debarking, and extensive damage to even very well built structures and roofs. It's consistent with damage from storms like Michael, though clearly just a shade below Irma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh4nIdAjRtU

Wow, that looks like classic cat 4/5 destruction. It reminds me of Andrew or Charley damage. It is possible the topography could have locally enhanced the surface winds and gusts.

Going back to the inlet photo, even accounting for the weakening before landfall, I still don't understand how the vegetation is pretty much levelled but the buildings look intact. If there was a 26+' storm surge there, I would have expected those buildings on that island to have been swept away.
0 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby NotoSans » Fri May 28, 2021 8:35 am

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL132020_Laura.pdf

Laura is out. Peak / landfall intensity maintained at 130kt.
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#312 Postby MarioProtVI » Fri May 28, 2021 10:04 am

NotoSans wrote:https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL132020_Laura.pdf

Looking at the data stated there I would’ve gone 135 kt had it not been for the 126 kt from the Air Force which likely dragged it down. Also genesis got moved up 3 hours.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2020 TCRs: Hurricane Laura is up

#313 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 pm

No mentions were made of the radar data. I would have also said 135 kt based on that.
3 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#314 Postby somethingfunny » Fri May 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Now only Eta remains?
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#315 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:52 pm

Now we know the landfall classifications for the US storms.

Hanna: ATX1 (S Texas)
Isaias: NC1
Laura: LA4, CTX1 (N Texas)
Sally: AL2, AFL2 (NW Florida)
Delta: LA2, CTX1
Zeta: LA3, MS2, IAL1 (Inland only)
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#316 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:52 pm

somethingfunny wrote:Now only Eta remains?

That is correct. I suspect in the next week or two we get Eta.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#317 Postby aspen » Fri May 28, 2021 3:09 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:No mentions were made of the radar data. I would have also said 135 kt based on that.

Maybe, like Sally, they factored them in to the intensity estimate but didn’t mention it in the actual TCR.

The very conservative approach the NHC has taken with the last few storms makes me think Eta actually has a chance of getting downgraded to 125 kt. We only have recon data to go off of, and look at how conservative the NHC went with Iota.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#318 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:16 pm

aspen wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:No mentions were made of the radar data. I would have also said 135 kt based on that.

Maybe, like Sally, they factored them in to the intensity estimate but didn’t mention it in the actual TCR.

The very conservative approach the NHC has taken with the last few storms makes me think Eta actually has a chance of getting downgraded to 125 kt. We only have recon data to go off of, and look at how conservative the NHC went with Iota.

Unlike with Iota, however, Recon data was very limited. That said, even the Dvorak satellite data was very challenging to interpret due to the wild differences between subjective analysis (T6.5-7.0) and ADT (as high as T8.0). I don't think they will lower it, but I do think they will be cautious in raising it any more than it was. A course of last resort might be to leave it alone for now.

Also for Laura, the SFMR near landfall should, at best, have an asterisk. It is well known that in shallow water near shore the SFMR can be fairly unreliable. I would have ignored both the 126 and 137 (the latter of which, at face value, supports category 5 for Laura but is almost certainly a false estimate).
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#319 Postby aspen » Fri May 28, 2021 3:26 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
aspen wrote:

Unlike with Iota, however, Recon data was very limited. That said, even the Dvorak satellite data was very challenging to interpret due to the wild differences between subjective analysis (T6.5-7.0) and ADT (as high as T8.0). I don't think they will lower it, but I do think they will be cautious in raising it any more than it was. A course of last resort might be to leave it alone for now.

Also for Laura, the SFMR near landfall should, at best, have an asterisk. It is well known that in shallow water near shore the SFMR can be fairly unreliable. I would have ignored both the 126 and 137.

I believe raws peaked at 8.4 or 8.5, the highest ever achieved so far. However, there’s no way the NHC is ever going to take those into account because of how far off they were from what recon found (~130 kt) and what finalized ADT numbers estimated (125-135 kt).

In my unprofessional opinion but based on recon and satellite data, I believe Eta peaked below 920 mbar sometime after recon left. Its central pressure dropped around 5 mbar/hr between the two recon passes, and IR imagery showed that the developing EWRC didn’t truly degrade the storm’s excellent presentation until 2-3 hours after the plane left. If Eta continued deepening at a fast but gradually slowing rate before finally leveling off after 1-3 hours, it could have gotten as low as the mid 910s. The final flight of the night would’ve confirmed this if it didn’t have to turn back. If the NHC considers lowering Eta’s pressure to sub-920, then there would be a better case for bumping it up to 135 kt.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#320 Postby Shell Mound » Sun May 30, 2021 7:20 am

MarioProtVI wrote:
NotoSans wrote:https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/data/tcr/AL132020_Laura.pdf

Looking at the data stated there I would’ve gone 135 kt had it not been for the 126 kt from the Air Force which likely dragged it down. Also genesis got moved up 3 hours.

Regarding Laura vs. Audrey, one may compare the respective impacts of these storms. According to the TCR, Laura’s surge penetrated up to 30 n mi inland at some points, whereas Audrey’s extended up to ~25 n mi inland. Interestingly, both Audrey and Laura produced their peak storm tides between Creole and Grand Chenier, with Laura’s being measured at 17.1 ft AGL in Creole and Audrey’s at 13.9 ft AGL near Grand Chenier. While Audrey made landfall farther west than Laura did, Audrey had twin wind maxima at landfall, and like Laura it was also a fairly large system, so it managed to produce comparable surge-related impacts. According to data from aircraft, reconnaissance measured flight-level (700-mb) winds of 142 kt (90% reduction: 128 kt) coincident with flagged SFMR of 113 kt in the eastern RMW as Laura’s eye was moving ashore near Cameron. Based on Laura’s northward movement at the time, the RMW moved inland between Rutherford Beach and Grand Chenier, which supports the TCR’s estimated peak surge value of ~18 ft. Interestingly, iCyclone’s report from Sulphur (cf. pp. 4–5) indicated that the observed MSLP of 948 mb coincided with a near-dead calm of approximately forty-five minutes and thus was sited very close to the official track of the wind-centre, suggesting, along with radar, that Laura remained well organised even after moving inland just west of Lake Charles. Had Laura been undergoing significant VWS the wind and pressure centres would not have been aligned as well as they were, especially after landfall.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”