2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3641 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:18 pm

I really wish Hammy could post CFS predictions without having to put up with 'CFS is crap' posts EVERY SINGLE TIME. Some of you obviously didn't do your homework. Regardless, I think CFS predictions and verifications are extremely interesting.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3642 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 pm

I recall that the CFS usually isn’t the best for forecasting the western basin. Regardless, it did sniff out a late August Gulf major about a month in advanced that verified in the form of Ida, and its predictions of a September carried by long-trackers at opposite ends of the month also verified. Perhaps a reason it’s showing no activity in the WCar is due to the Atlantic Niño fueling late-season eastern MDR activity, stopping waves from getting further west. However, with the Kelvin Wave coming in to give the Atlantic a week-long break, there’s the opportunity for waves to slip by into the western part of the basin.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

AlphaToOmega
Category 5
Category 5

#3643 Postby AlphaToOmega » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm

The CFSv2 continues to show below-average pressures in the tropical Atlantic, which suggests an active October. This signal seems as potent as the one in late August. However, warmer MDR temperatures and a lack of SAL should make conditions more conducive during October than during August. A major hurricane during this October should be expected given these factors, given a weak/moderate La Nina, and given +AMO.

1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3644 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm

tolakram wrote:I really wish Hammy could post CFS predictions without having to put up with 'CFS is crap' posts EVERY SINGLE TIME. Some of you obviously didn't do your homework. Regardless, I think CFS predictions and verifications are extremely interesting.

I do believe that the CFS model is notoriously bad for verifying it's predictions . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3645 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:09 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
tolakram wrote:I really wish Hammy could post CFS predictions without having to put up with 'CFS is crap' posts EVERY SINGLE TIME. Some of you obviously didn't do your homework. Regardless, I think CFS predictions and verifications are extremely interesting.

I do believe that the CFS model is notoriously bad for verifying it's predictions . . .

It's been verifying fairly well for several seasons in a row now. Looking at the longer range surface maps on a daily basis and noting changes and trends gives a better idea of activity volume, location, and intensity (even if the exact dates are largely meaningless) than looking at the averages, which only tells you if the conditions will be favorable or not.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3646 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:39 am

Hammy wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

It's been verifying fairly well for several seasons in a row now. Looking at the longer range surface maps on a daily basis and noting changes and trends gives a better idea of activity volume, location, and intensity (even if the exact dates are largely meaningless) than looking at the averages, which only tells you if the conditions will be favorable or not.

Do you have an idea on what the CFS shows for the EPAC then? I would have to imagine that in most cases there would generally be an inverse correlation between EPAC and Atlantic activity at given points in time, and given it looks like the EPAC season is shutting down very quickly (I mean we only had one September NS there and activity does not look to resume robustly anytime soon), it would hardly make sense to see nothing in the WCAR anytime soon, especially given how October is the time of year when gyres can really fuel trouble and how we are entering La Nina with above average sst anomalies in the West Atlantic.
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3647 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:48 am

I think the biggest problem here is amateur quick (non)analysis rather than actually evaluating how a model is doing or interpreting what it is showing. That's not how you use any model.

Let's take some of the last page of posts (not the one just above this), for example. Filled with a lot of nonsense after Hammy posted some analysis of past performance. Did anyone read that analysis and care to comment on it? Will someone reading this thread be able to find it, or will they have to wade through MODEL IS ON CRACK type of posts? I'm challenging some of you to step up to the plate and be curious, rather than just providing cheerleading and silly commentary. :)

We will (or have already) be taking down posts that don't contribute to the conversation. Don't be that person please. No warnings yet, but please let's all try and make this thread more useful. Thanks!
5 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3648 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:12 am

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1443186462887796741

Major Hurricane days has the same issues ACE does, but still an impressive achievement. Obviously a lot of longer trackers this year.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3649 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:27 am

tolakram wrote:https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1443186462887796741?s=20

Major Hurricane days has the same issues ACE does, but still an impressive achievement. Obviously a lot of longer trackers this year.

Well we can thank Sam for a high ACE score this year should it occur. Also, wow. Another Phil Klotzbach-given fact that lumps 2021 into a group composed of only past hyperactive years :eek:
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#3650 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:45 am

Years since 1980 with negative ONI for September-October-November (SON) and October/November hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean:

1981: Katrina
1983: None
1984: None

1985: Juan, Kate
1988: Joan
1989: Jerry
1992: None
1995: Opal, Roxanne
1996: Lili, Marco
1998: Mitch
1999: Irene, Jose, Lenny
2000: Keith
2001: Iris, Michelle
2005: Stan, Wilma, Beta
2007: None
2008: Omar, Paloma
2010: Paula, Richard, Tomas
2011: Rina
2013: None
2016: Matthew, Otto
2017: Nate
2020: Gamma, Delta, Zeta, Eta, Iota

18 of 22 -ENSO years since 1980 had at least one hurricane active in the Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean in October or November. It's interesting to note that the only -ENSO years that did not see a late-season hurricane in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico all had below-average ACE totals and were some of the least active -ENSO years. Based on climatology of -ENSO years, there is a very strong chance we see at least one hurricane in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico in October or November.
8 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3651 Postby psyclone » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:58 am

Considering how active September was makes it all the more impressive we sneaked through the month absent a high end scare for someone stateside. We started the month with a great deal of post Ida trepidation but skipped a minefield unscathed. Now we're down to one final high risk month...that secondary peak is likely to generate something...perhaps big...before we sprint for the finish line.
1 likes   

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

#3652 Postby storminabox » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:11 am

Quite impressive to see an MDR system form at 25W in late September! Over the past week or so, the MDR season went from being kinda meh to one of things I’ll remember most about this season! The late season favorability likely has something to do with the increasing SSTAs in the MDR throughout the month. I definitely wasn’t expecting September to end off this way, and it’s great because minimal people are being impacted by this flurry of activity.
6 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#3653 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:24 am

tolakram wrote:https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1443186462887796741?s=20

The main caveat with this statistic is that intensity estimates for both Larry and Sam were too high at most points, aside from a few inflections in the latter’s case. A blend of satellite- and aircraft-derived estimates did not support MSW higher than 105 kt in Larry’s case, given the system’s ragged eye, warm cloud-tops, large size, and displaced LL/ML centres, annular characteristics notwithstanding. Marginal thermodynamics and shear also contributed to a lower FL-to-surface reduction-factor in Larry’s situation. Additionally, Larry likely spent much less time as a MH than is officially indicated in BT (ATCF), given aircraft. In fact, not once did aircraft find clear-cut winds to support anything close to MH status in Larry’s case. As far as Sam is concerned: yes, it almost certainly peaked as a 145-kt Category-5 prior to the arrival of aircraft, but since then recon indicates that the NHC’s estimates have been a bit generous. For example, recon has yet to find winds that support the current 115-kt MSW in BT.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#3654 Postby Ubuntwo » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:32 am

Shell Mound wrote:The main caveat with this statistic is that intensity estimates for both Larry and Sam were too high at most points, aside from a few inflections in the latter’s case. A blend of satellite- and aircraft-derived estimates did not support MSW higher than 105 kt in Larry’s case, given the system’s ragged eye, warm cloud-tops, large size, and displaced LL/ML centres, annular characteristics notwithstanding. Marginal thermodynamics and shear also contributed to a lower FL-to-surface reduction-factor in Larry’s situation. Additionally, Larry likely spent much less time as a MH than is officially indicated in BT (ATCF), given aircraft. In fact, not once did aircraft find clear-cut winds to support anything close to MH status in Larry’s case. As far as Sam is concerned: yes, it almost certainly peaked as a 145-kt Category-5 prior to the arrival of aircraft, but since then recon indicates that the NHC’s estimates have been a bit generous. For example, recon has yet to find winds that support the current 115-kt MSW in BT.

Larry was definitely held as a major for too long, though the peak of 110kt seems reasonable. Recon only arrived after 1-2 eyewall replacement cycles meaning a reduction in max winds. Conceivably could have reached 115kt with its first eye.

Sam’s current intensity is also a little overzealous. Though IMO, intensity leading up to the first peak will see a bump upwards.

As a whole reanalysis should cut ACE down a few points. I don’t see it making a big difference.
2 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#3655 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:45 am

Shell Mound wrote:

The main caveat with this statistic is that intensity estimates for both Larry and Sam were too high at most points, aside from a few inflections in the latter’s case. A blend of satellite- and aircraft-derived estimates did not support MSW higher than 105 kt in Larry’s case, given the system’s ragged eye, warm cloud-tops, large size, and displaced LL/ML centres, annular characteristics notwithstanding. Marginal thermodynamics and shear also contributed to a lower FL-to-surface reduction-factor in Larry’s situation. Additionally, Larry likely spent much less time as a MH than is officially indicated in BT (ATCF), given aircraft. In fact, not once did aircraft find clear-cut winds to support anything close to MH status in Larry’s case. As far as Sam is concerned: yes, it almost certainly peaked as a 145-kt Category-5 prior to the arrival of aircraft, but since then recon indicates that the NHC’s estimates have been a bit generous. For example, recon has yet to find winds that support the current 115-kt MSW in BT.

This is flat out false. Recon found FL winds as high as 118 kt and SFMR winds as high as 103 kt in Larry.
8 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#3656 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:00 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:

This is flat out false. Recon found FL winds as high as 118 kt and SFMR winds as high as 103 kt in Larry.

I’m not convinced that those winds were actually mixing to the surface, so I discounted them. If I recall correctly, sondes did not show efficient mixing then.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3657 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:11 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:
Shell Mound wrote:The main caveat with this statistic is that intensity estimates for both Larry and Sam were too high at most points, aside from a few inflections in the latter’s case. A blend of satellite- and aircraft-derived estimates did not support MSW higher than 105 kt in Larry’s case, given the system’s ragged eye, warm cloud-tops, large size, and displaced LL/ML centres, annular characteristics notwithstanding. Marginal thermodynamics and shear also contributed to a lower FL-to-surface reduction-factor in Larry’s situation. Additionally, Larry likely spent much less time as a MH than is officially indicated in BT (ATCF), given aircraft. In fact, not once did aircraft find clear-cut winds to support anything close to MH status in Larry’s case. As far as Sam is concerned: yes, it almost certainly peaked as a 145-kt Category-5 prior to the arrival of aircraft, but since then recon indicates that the NHC’s estimates have been a bit generous. For example, recon has yet to find winds that support the current 115-kt MSW in BT.

I’m not convinced that those winds were actually mixing to the surface, so I discounted them. If I recall correctly, sondes did not show efficient mixing then.

Your opinion is fine, just be careful to state that it's your opinion and not a fact. The professionals analyzed it differently.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#3658 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

Annular hurricanes are excellent at transferring fl winds to the surface. Larry was annular.
2 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Woofde
Category 1
Category 1

Re: RE: Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#3659 Postby Woofde » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Shell Mound wrote:

It's important to note that while Aircraft recon is by far the best way to estimate a cyclones wind speeds even they have issues, namely undersampling(If I remember correctly it's around 8% for 1 min winds). The NHC accounts for this, which is why they often peg cyclones higher than what recon strictly supports.
3 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#3660 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Years since 1980 with negative ONI for September-October-November (SON) and October/November hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean:

1981: Katrina
1983: None
1984: None

1985: Juan, Kate
1988: Joan
1989: Jerry
1992: None
1995: Opal, Roxanne
1996: Lili, Marco
1998: Mitch
1999: Irene, Jose, Lenny
2000: Keith
2001: Iris, Michelle
2005: Stan, Wilma, Beta
2007: None
2008: Omar, Paloma
2010: Paula, Richard, Tomas
2011: Rina
2013: None
2016: Matthew, Otto
2017: Nate
2020: Gamma, Delta, Zeta, Eta, Iota

18 of 22 -ENSO years since 1980 had at least one hurricane active in the Gulf of Mexico or Caribbean in October or November. It's interesting to note that the only -ENSO years that did not see a late-season hurricane in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico all had below-average ACE totals and were some of the least active -ENSO years. Based on climatology of -ENSO years, there is a very strong chance we see at least one hurricane in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico in October or November.

Wait, 1992 was a -ENSO year? I thought it was a moderate El Nino
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”