2016 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2016 Cyclones Retirement

#41 Postby Alyono » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
as not retiring Nina (though an argument can be made that since Nina was not retired, NO storm should ever be retired)

What are you referring to? The 2016 supertyphoon Nina did result in both Nina (its name on the only-Philippines list) and Nock-ten (its name on the international western Pacific list) retired.

The 1957 Hurricane Nina that resulted in high winds in Honolulu didn't have its name officially retired, but that's a bit irrelevant since its not on the lists presently used in the Central Pacific, anyway.

The 1975 typhoon that caused huge loss of life in China because of a dam collapse is also moot since the western Pacific names have changed since then. And was China itself even using names for typhoons in 1975? If people in China weren't thinking of the storm as having the name Nina, there would be no reason for them to ask for its retirement.

And retirement has never been worldwide -- it only pertains to the particular "basin". So there is nothing that would prevent a storm near Australia from being named Katrina in the future -- or one in the Atlantic being named Nina, Tracy, or Marcia.

everyone should know I was talking about 1975 Nina. If that is not retired, no storm should ever be retired
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 pm

The problem with Nina '75 is that I believe hardly anyone outside of China was aware of the devastation it caused there until well after the fact (I'm having trouble tracking down the source for this though). In the 1975 JTWC Tropical Cyclone Report, there are no mentions of any impact Nina had on China.
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#43 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 pm

TheEuropean wrote:When will we know which names of the 2016 season are retired?

Probably early next week. The meeting goes from tomorrow to Sunday, so I would think Monday the press release will come out.

Matthew is virtually certain, while Earl and Otto are the next most likely but by no means guaranteed.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#44 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Going through the reports, for the first time ever it appears Haiti is actually making a retirement case. They are calling for the retirement of Matthew (per their report), although Cuba, the Bahamas and the US also have reasonable cases.

Death toll in Haiti is 546, with 128 missing.

Also, a damage figure for the Bahamas is not available, but if it was over $1 billion there, then Matthew will be the first storm on record to be a billion-dollar disaster in four separate countries (Sandy came close).
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#45 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:22 am

Matthew and OTTO will be retired Martin and Owen will be the new names to replace them.

https://twitter.com/JohnMoralesNBC6/status/845956117092073473

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2016 Cyclones Retirement (MATTHEW and OTTO retired)

#46 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:20 am

As an onomastician I think they did a pretty good job with their replacements this year. Martin and Owen are easy to pronounce (at least for English speakers) and dissimilar enough from both the names they are replacing and other names on the Atlantic lists and the Eastern Pacific same year list.

Owen does seem like an odd choice for a Spanish speaking country like Costa Rica to suggest as a replacement, though, and I suppose that country would have been the one requesting Otto's retirement.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2016 Cyclones Retirement (MATTHEW and OTTO retired) Replacement names (MARTIN and OWEN)

#47 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I would have preferred Mark or Malcolm, but oh well. Owen is nice though.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re: 2016 Cyclones Retirement (MATTHEW and OTTO retired) Replacement names (MARTIN and OWEN)

#48 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm shocked Otto got retired, but not Earl.

Was Otto worse than I thought?
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:54 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Hammy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Do the names have to be requested by the countries affected in order to be retired?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#51 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:12 pm

Hammy wrote:Do the names have to be requested by the countries affected in order to be retired?

Generally yes, although France did request Felix and Noel in 2007 (along with Dean) which barely impacted its islands.

Otto was a significant storm for Costa Rica especially, and they don't get hit often.
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm not too surprised with Earl staying. Mexico is usually more strict with that. I have to admit I didn't expect Otto to be retired but there we go.

Matthew was obvious.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#53 Postby tatertawt24 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Surprised about Otto being retired, although it definitely "Earned" it for scientific reasons, being not only the latest landfall date in the Atlantic basin but being a RI'ing cat 3 on top of that. It sounds more like a record 2005 would have set. :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#54 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 pm

tatertawt24 wrote:Surprised about Otto being retired, although it definitely "Earned" it for scientific reasons, being not only the latest landfall date in the Atlantic basin but being a RI'ing cat 3 on top of that. It sounds more like a record 2005 would have set. :lol:

Costa Rica almost never experiences hurricanes, so the impact there would be enough for them to make a retirement case.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”