Northeast Hurricane expected ????

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#41 Postby skysummit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:38 am

Gtmalacd wrote:I don't undertand why so many of you bash accuweather and Mr. Bastardi. They have a multitude of tools to make a professional observation or prediction. I highly doubt many of you can work as well as they can. I say many liberally because I know there are some excellent analysts on this board.

You must not have paid much attention to Bastardi or Crapuweather in the past then. You would see they forecast the exact same thing for just about every event. They're sure to get it right once and awhile and when they do, they make a big deal out of it and say they're the first to tell you. Yea, they have tools, but fail to use them succesfully. They like to create panic, and take people's lives and make them into reality shows. They are a disgrace in the meteorological world in my opinion.
0 likes   

Gtmalacd

#42 Postby Gtmalacd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:56 pm

Here in Guatemala City, if you are not in a profession that is licensed or you do not have the necessary credentials (education) to say something professional you basically shut your mouth and listen to those that carry them. I have learned the hard way not to open my mouth. I guess being a member of the met society and all doesn't mean anything. I guess all fair weather enthusiasts are correct in their analysis. Also, I respect Bastardi and Accuweather for what they are whether they get it right or wrong.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby Steve » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:19 pm

>>LBAR projected Kitrina 4-5 days out when ALL the other models were going into the BigBend area...

Coming into Florida, at least a few runs of the UK Met were on.

Gtmalacd,

In a free country which allows us (basically) free speech, you're going to hear everything. Accuweather deserves the heat they generate because they play competition by running other people down. Sometimes they're right, but usually they just come off as cocky when the situation is examined. I used to pay for Joe B because I like the columns and videos, but they're more or less money grubbers now IMHO (ref. Senator Santorum Bill & ridiculous price increases). I like their seasonal takes as well as their takes on specific storms. But they (Joe included) botch as much as they get right. They're out there critizing everyone else, they're going to get some of it back.

Steve
0 likes   

MidwestWX

#44 Postby MidwestWX » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:29 pm

I think Bastardi is on to something here. I think he does a better job forecasting intensity than NHC.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby Steve » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:31 pm

>>I think Bastardi is on to something here. I think he does a better job forecasting intensity than NHC.

There are times when he's better. I thought his work with Lili and Isidore was great and led me to being a paid subscriber for 2003. But there are many times when he's way off the mark. He also did quite well with his interpretation of the resurgence of Ivan off the east coast (following the UKMET guidance). But there are other times when he's a little irresponsible. He was pretty good in a general sense on Rita, but he stuck with his upper Texas hit. As anyone here may recall, the LA side of the Sabine River seemed to be the real target to many people (I've got posts around to prove it). But to each their own. If Joe didn't trash others, he wouldn't get it back. It's kind of the "reap what you sow" thing. He had gotten better about it the last couple of years, but then Kenny Reeves became the pitbull. If they used a little more tact, they'd see a little more leniency given to them. MHO

TPS
0 likes   

HurricaneHunter914
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby HurricaneHunter914 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:37 pm

Well said Steve.
0 likes   

AussieMark
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby AussieMark » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:46 pm

sometimes he is very wrong tho

Remember in 2004 the Carolina hit from Frances :lol:
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby terstorm1012 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:47 pm

good post steve, i too became a paid subscriber with lili and isadore. Bastardi is pretty good at the teleconnections. It honestly does make perfect sense in a way. Plus I saw Mr. Bastardi speak on teleconnections in person and then it made sense to me too and still does now.

However, then they raised the prices, then ken reeves became (IMO) rather uncivil on the teevee. Then that onerous piece of legislation was proposed. To be honest, Accuweather has hundreds of clients from TV stations to newspapers to private persons----they ain't hurtin' for cash so their claims that their business is being nosed in on (and there are lots and lots of firms so there is lots and lots of competition) are kind of hollow.

Now I only go to the site when Mr. Bastardi offers the column for free, which is rare.

you know if all the mets here banded together and started a company I think i'd pay for it, because this is one of the most knowledgeable AND friendly Wx communities on the web. Peeps here are quick to answer questions without much snideness or rudeness. There aren't many web communities like that, especially the way we all check in on each other during the storm season :)

(and if they needed a geographer (that's me!)...i'd join in too! :))
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby Stephanie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:26 pm

We do have a GREAT crew of professionals and amateurs here terstrom1012. They all love to share their knowledge, insights and forecasts with everyone. That's what S2K was created for. :wink:
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Steve » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks 914.

>>good post steve, i too became a paid subscriber with lili and isadore. Bastardi is pretty good at the teleconnections. It honestly does make perfect sense in a way. Plus I saw Mr. Bastardi speak on teleconnections in person and then it made sense to me too and still does now.

Terstorm, I hope I didn't come off too anti-Bastardi because I find the teleconnection stuff pretty fascinating too. I really like when he's about 2 weeks out on a pattern-change and tells you to look for something in such and such a place even when there's not much of a hint otherwise to suspect that area (not for an amateur like me anyway). I think that's where his value really is - though others disagree. But the company really turned me off with the Sentorum bill. I really hope he loses that election FWIW.

Steve
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:51 pm

didn't think you were anti-Bastardi at all...we give credit where it is due. But his company is behaving badly IMO.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”