Development off SE U.S coast?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#81 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:38 am

This season is more aggravating already than 2013! :roll:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Development off SE U.S coast?

#82 Postby NDG » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:38 am

I might be speaking too soon, but I doubt it, but the Euro proved the be the too aggressive model compared tithe GFS. Good job by the GFS.

I doubt much will come out of this, there is still too much northerly shear with dry air pushing in with no UL divergence present.

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 am

:uarrow: This setup is typical of fall not summer, with dry air screaming south off the continent due to cold fronts.

Can't believe most of us got burnt by the Euro. :oops:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

xcool22
Category 1
Category 1

#84 Postby xcool22 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:15 am

I was rite..
0 likes   
SCOTT

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#85 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:29 am

I still think there's a good chance "Danny" will form this week. 00Z Euro has it developing off the East U.S. Coast in a couple of days and heading past Bermuda and out to sea. It's a 40kt TS NE of Bermuda on Wednesday evening. There's a larger are of 35 & 40kt winds as it approaches Newfoundland on Friday.

0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby OuterBanker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:13 am

To tie what Hammy and wxman said. The 0z European sendstyle a weak system OTS near Bermuda then after that it sends a elongated low along the seus coast. In other words it shifted back east and along coast as it did several days ago but considerably weaker.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby LarryWx » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am

Based on wishy washy model runs, it being a strong El Niño, and the end of July still being pretty quiet climowise (though not as quiet as earlier in July), my educated guess is that no named storm forms before July ends. Aside: July is already above average for a strong Niño with one named storm. Many have had zero. 1997's July was a major anomaly.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#88 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 am

El Nino is not a factor in the subtropics, nor is it much of a factor in the Gulf of Mexico. El Nino's impact is mostly in the deep tropics.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby LarryWx » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:38 am

wxman57 wrote:El Nino is not a factor in the subtropics, nor is it much of a factor in the Gulf of Mexico. El Nino's impact is mostly in the deep tropics.

Wxman,
Regarding the Gulf, I don't entirely agree once past June. If you look back at past El Nino (especially nonweak) seasons once past June, Gulf activity is reduced on average quite a bit in terms of the number of major Gulf hurricanes and the number of seasons with more than one Gulf hurricane. I've analyzed the historical stats to discover this. OTOH, June activity, itself, has been enhanced on average.
July of 1997 was a major anomaly. I don't count 1983 as El Niño.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:39 am

Said this in the other thread but what effect does an El Niño have on the northern half of the GoM(if any)? It always seems in an El Niño event that whatever forms in the Southern GoM/BoC/NW Caribbean and heads north experiences weakening in the Northern GoM.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#91 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:45 am

wxman57 wrote:El Nino is not a factor in the subtropics, nor is it much of a factor in the Gulf of Mexico. El Nino's impact is mostly in the deep tropics.

I don't know about statistics of it, I'm sure you and Larry has input on that. One question though, of course you cannot associated El Nino with everything/or lack of on a smaller scale for different areas as it is a longer term background influence. My question is, the background state though does decrease the odds of tropical waves that survive the trip into the subtropics and/or gulf. Would that be a factor in reduction? At this point we still haven't really seen anything survive even in weakened state. Everything has been local convection.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 am

Looks like the models are back to developing a low off the East coast around where the NHC originally had the shading on Friday. Latest GFS is close to the ECMWF. So looks like still a good chance of something forming off the east coast and moving away from the U.S.

Latest GFS, 60 hours racing away from the U.S. near Bermuda:

Last edited by gatorcane on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

NCSTORMMAN

Re:

#93 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 am

gatorcane wrote:Looks like the models are back to developing a low off the East coast around where the NHC originally had the shading on Friday. Latest GFS is close to the ECMWF. So looks like still a good chance of something forming off the east coast and moving away from the U.S.

Right now I do not know if I speak for everyone but I do not trust the models at all. They even have the NHC bouncing around at where something is going to develop. I am no weatherman but if I was I wouldn't trust what they show no matter what. At least with this situation.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby tropicwatch » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:36 am

Wouldn't write off the trough in the Gulf or Atlantic just yet. But the low in the area of Jacksonville appears to be moving inland.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#95 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 am

NCSTORMMAN wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Looks like the models are back to developing a low off the East coast around where the NHC originally had the shading on Friday. Latest GFS is close to the ECMWF. So looks like still a good chance of something forming off the east coast and moving away from the U.S.

Right now I do not know if I speak for everyone but I do not trust the models at all. They even have the NHC bouncing around at where something is going to develop. I am no weatherman but if I was I wouldn't trust what they show no matter what. At least with this situation.

Difference now is that all the global models from what I can see are showing this system now. So we seem to be converging on a solution - storm developing off the East Coast of the US and accelerating ENE near Bermuda and out to sea. Wxman's graphics above picture this nicely.

NHC may shade yellow again near where they had it and showing the out to sea scenario.
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:59 am

Yeah I see nothing coming out of this, more than likely a fish storm, will give us something to talk about but i still think some gulf moisture is the place to watch end of this week if anything is going to spin up

Code: Select all

*edited by Ntxw delete duplicate post
0 likes   

NCSTORMMAN

Re: Re:

#97 Postby NCSTORMMAN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:45 pm

gatorcane wrote:
NCSTORMMAN wrote:

Difference now is that all the global models from what I can see are showing this system now. So we seem to be converging on a solution - storm developing off the East Coast of the US and accelerating ENE near Bermuda and out to sea. Wxman's graphics above picture this nicely.

NHC may shade yellow again near where they had it and showing the out to sea scenario.

I am still thinking the Gulf of Mexico. It seems like convection is wrapping around a center unlike yesterday where the convection was below the CoC. I am not a weatherman so would like opinions.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#98 Postby tolakram » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:24 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby NDG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:11 am

:uarrow: Euro has proven to be too aggressive in its medium to long range forecast, it has been backing away from the storm it was forecasting near Bermuda, at least in strength and tropical/subtropical characteristics.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby gatorcane » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 am

I posted this in the GOM thread as that is where the low may originate, but I still think there is a decent chance we will get some development here from something along this trough and if something does develop, it will be off the S.E. United States coast. NAVGEM and UKMET are very bullish so model support is there.

NAVGEM:
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”