2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Siker
Category 4
Category 4

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#881 Postby Siker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Looks like every GFS ensemble develops this now (might actually be 19/20, not sure).
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#882 Postby SoupBone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Haris wrote:such consistency in track amazes me.

I am starting to get on board!

This will be a TX and Mexico system btw.

Sarcasm?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#883 Postby stormreader » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Haris wrote:such consistency in track amazes me.

I am starting to get on board!

This will be a TX and Mexico system btw.

Wouldn't be so sure. Someone mentioned the windshield wiper effect. As stated too, east of the Miss River probably less likely. But I would still especially include the SW La area until further notice. If there is a storm....Texas coast most likely on latest runs, but just too early.
1 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#884 Postby ROCK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:44 pm

gatorcane wrote:Seems at least a mention by the NHC would make sense out of respect for the GFS showing possible development near the Yucatan within 5 days.

Yeah I can see some mention soon. Wayyy too many models are sniffing now..
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#885 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Past few runs of the FV3 GFS look pretty similar to the 12z Euro. Weak low into the TX/MX border area.
1 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#886 Postby ROCK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Think I posted on this thread that the BOC and MX are pretty high odds in June. Wouldn’t rule out LA at all thou...the steering collapses as it approaches land and it sits there for awhile per GFS..
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#887 Postby SoupBone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Past few runs of the FV3 GFS look pretty similar to the 12z Euro. Weak low into the TX/MX border area.

And this is a huge flip from the Florida, Central Gulf Coast hits that it's been showing for a week. It's been incredibly inconsistent outside of genesis and outright crazy with intensity (Cat 2-3 into Louisiana). I guess I'm just one of these hardheaded guys that can't take it serious.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#888 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:09 pm

With the Texas death ridge well established a track over the Yucatán into the BoC then Mexico or extreme South Texas is probably the most likely bet at the moment. But if I remember correctly that is what originally many were expecting Harvey to do before it moved more north in the Western Gulf and into SE Texas.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#889 Postby Kazmit » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:With the Texas death ridge well established a track over the Yucatán into the BoC then Mexico or extreme South Texas is probably the most likely bet at the moment. But if I remember correctly that is what originally many were expecting Harvey to do before it moved more north in the Western Gulf and into SE Texas.

Harvey was in late August though. But I do get what you're saying- these storms can be hard to predict.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#890 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Kazmit wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:With the Texas death ridge well established a track over the Yucatán into the BoC then Mexico or extreme South Texas is probably the most likely bet at the moment. But if I remember correctly that is what originally many were expecting Harvey to do before it moved more north in the Western Gulf and into SE Texas.

Harvey was in late August though. But I do get what you're saying- these storms can be hard to predict.

Yes which is why a hurricane (let alone a major) is unlikely.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#891 Postby srainhoutx » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Not so sure about that where the Mexico Heat Ridge will end up, but with EPAC Bud and a general weakness established over Eastern Texas today and later this coming week, rainfall chances are increasing.
3 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#892 Postby NDG » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:07 pm

If the Atlantic ridge moving in from the east is strong enough it could push the TX death ridge west or north.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#893 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm seeing a growing consensus (minus the operational GFS) of a weaker system tracking toward northern Mexico and southern Texas next weekend. Some of the energy could come from that tropical wave east of the Caribbean around 48W. I wanted to examine the 12Z ECMWF upper-level pattern for next Sunday so I plotted the 200mb heights every 10 meters and put in some wind arrows (top image below). Weak upper low is over south TX next Sunday. Lower image is a surface map (every .5 millibar) with 24hr precip. Moisture flowing into Texas next Sunday. New GFS is similar. Canadian has a similar pattern, too, but it develops a TS like it does with every system in the tropics.

Could be we'll see moisture from the wave currently around 48W move into the west Caribbean late this coming week then track NW toward south Texas next weekend. Maybe just some rain for Texas. Hopefully, model agreement will improve in a few days.

7 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#894 Postby Haris » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:39 pm

NHC giving a clue LOL :D :D :D
5 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#895 Postby SoupBone » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:01 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm seeing a growing consensus (minus the operational GFS) of a weaker system tracking toward northern Mexico and southern Texas next weekend. Some of the energy could come from that tropical wave east of the Caribbean around 48W. I wanted to examine the 12Z ECMWF upper-level pattern for next Sunday so I plotted the 200mb heights every 10 meters and put in some wind arrows (top image below). Weak upper low is over south TX next Sunday. Lower image is a surface map (every .5 millibar) with 24hr precip. Moisture flowing into Texas next Sunday. New GFS is similar. Canadian has a similar pattern, too, but it develops a TS like it does with every system in the tropics.

Could be we'll see moisture from the wave currently around 48W move into the west Caribbean late this coming week then track NW toward south Texas next weekend. Maybe just some rain for Texas. Hopefully, model agreement will improve in a few days.

]

Now I'm thoroughly confused. :lol:

Would this be a different system than the GFS is showing? Any thoughts on its wild swinging model runs?
0 likes   

Twisted-core
Category 1
Category 1

#896 Postby Twisted-core » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 pm

12z EPS ens runs
https://imgur.com/X9V0lr6
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#897 Postby LarryWx » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:33 pm

The GEFS got more active yesterday at 12Z & then even more at 18Z. Today's four runs appear to be even more active than yesterday's 18Z. Is this a sign that there really will be a genesis mid to late next week or just a false alarm? Stay tuned!
Last edited by LarryWx on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#898 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 pm

00z ICON is very interesting..
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#899 Postby N2FSU » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:00z ICON is very interesting..

It sure is:

2 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#900 Postby stormlover2013 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Over a week away, nothing worth nothing unless 3-4 days away
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”