2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#881 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 am

Careful with the wording though please. I don't think there is bias because someone thinks something, I think the hindsight technique used might be weighted to the wrong thing or there's an indicator that is not acting as expected, but I do not think any personal bias is effecting these forecasts.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#882 Postby NDG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 am

One thing for sure the MDR remains bone dry and on top of that shear has being ripping across the western Atlantic MDR this week (which surprisingly the GFS did a good job in forecasting this a week ago). Models are still persistent that the shear will led up over the next two weeks. But whether moisture will increase or not as we go into September, is still the big debate but things are pointing to some moisture increase as the sinking motion subsides some as it usually does.
Current average area sounding across the western MDR

GFS shear forecast from a week ago

GFS shear forecast for the next 2 weeks
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#883 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:14 am

:uarrow: Maybe the Euro seasonal forecast was right for once this season, I mean a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hurricane Jed
Category 2
Category 2

#884 Postby Hurricane Jed » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:15 am

We’ve had fast start seasons that have turned into garbage (1968), Slow start seasons that were extremely active (1969), seasons that have been active but weak storms (2013). Seasons with few storms but several notable storms (1935). I could go on and on but bottom line is each season is like a blindpacked bag, you’re not gonna know what you get until it’s opened all the way.
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#885 Postby NDG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:34 am

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Maybe the Euro seasonal forecast was right for once this season, I mean a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

To some degree, one field that the Euro failed on is that the MSLPs have been running near average across the Atlantic MDR, it was forecasting it to be well above average.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#886 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:00 am

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#887 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#888 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 am

Which equals to a bunch of ugly subtropical stuff north of 25n probably not affecting anyone. Nice break this season if it holds true
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#889 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am

Yikes. No W leaning ridging please.
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#890 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 am

SFLcane wrote:

Which equals to a bunch of ugly subtropical stuff north of 25n probably not affecting anyone. Nice break this season if it holds true

No, try 22N and North and not a good idea to make that assessment at this stage. How often do we have to be reminded that Andrew did not strengthen until well into the sub tropics and rode a very unfriendly ridge.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#891 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 am

toad strangler wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

No, try 22N and North and not a good idea to make that assessment at this stage. How often do we have to be reminded that Andrew did not strengthen until well into the sub tropics and rode a very unfriendly ridge.

Oh i get it trust me i went through andrew in 92 in florida city myself models do suggest an MJO/CCKW is moving into the Atlantic what actually forms is hard to say. Just an ugly look overall as we head into prime season starting aug 20
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#892 Postby toad strangler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:02 am

SFLcane wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

Oh i get it trust me i went through andrew in 92 in florida city myself models do suggest an MJO/CCKW is moving into the Atlantic what actually forms is hard to say. Just an ugly look overall as we head into prime season starting aug 20

Ugly for the MDR overall yes, that I agree with.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#893 Postby NotSparta » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 am

Not really, this is pretty much the default state of these models
6 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#894 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:30 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#895 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am

NotSparta wrote:

Not really, this is pretty much the default state of these models

I was going to say that there MAY be a dry bias in the MDR for this prediction, at least based on recent years. So, if one is in the Caribbean thinking clear sailing ahead for sure (which obviously could still be the case), you may want to temper that a bit for the possibility that a dry bias is making it look too dry for Sep and Oct. Another important thing is that this is an Aug-Oct forecast. August is clearly going to end up very dry. But the very dry Aug is included in this forecast. Sep-Oct could actually be near normal (or perhaps even slightly wetter than normal) and Aug-Oct still come out dry like this shows.
What I’d really like to see is a forecast for Sep, alone. Does it exist? I’m not so much curious about Oct because by then the MDR isn’t that important.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#896 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:47 am

I don’t know but could it be because the correlation of CCKW and genesis is not as high as these two mets think? I can see a CCKW increasing chances somewhat but just how much do they do that? Maybe there are other factors in play that are against genesis that are forecasted to be more dominant? Note that whereas there was an increase in convection in the eastern Atlantic if I’m recalling correctly, there was no TC genesis with the last CCKW. Of course, climo will be much more favorable by then vs the time period for the prior one. So, let’s see what happens.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#897 Postby psyclone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

At the risk of sounding a bit back yard-ish...these long range predictions have consistently showed wet conditions over the eastern Gulf...which has been hot in recent years wrt tc activity. Speaking more broadly, we are just getting into the time of year where the calendar loads up with historical big tc hits. If we look today...the vast majority of big hits have come after this date. I think this is a great measuring stick. Yes, it is fair to say the race is on and we're not burning up the track....but we just left the starting blocks. It would not be a shocker if the season ended up somewhat quieter than normal overall...but with a somewhat higher landfall risk in the southeast US..
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#898 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:04 am

SFLcane wrote:

Eric Blake said not too long ago that long range rainfall anomaly forecasts were poor for predicting TC activity since TCs can be small features in short timescales.
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#899 Postby NotSparta » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 am

LarryWx wrote:

I don’t know but could it be because the correlation of CCKW and genesis is not as high as these two mets think? I can see a CCKW increasing chances somewhat but just how much do they do that? Maybe there are other factors in play that are against genesis that are forecasted to be more dominant? Note that whereas there was an increase in convection in the eastern Atlantic if I’m recalling correctly, there was no TC genesis with the last CCKW. Of course, climo will be much more favorable by then vs the time period for the prior one. So, let’s see what happens.

The models played catch up w/ the last CCKW (but were a bit overzealous), and will probably do the same w/ this one. Difference is, MJO is less favorable and it'll be in the peak season period
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#900 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 am

NotSparta wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

The models played catch up w/ the last CCKW (but were a bit overzealous), and will probably do the same w/ this one. Difference is, MJO is less favorable and it'll be in the peak season period

I’d still love to see statistics showing how high or low the correlation actually is.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”