2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#901 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am

Have to watch IF something develops no trof this time around to recurve anything moving into the SW Atlantic.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 Indicators: SST'S / Sal / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability (See updated graphics at first post)

#902 Postby weathaguyry » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am

I just finished an amazing tour of the NHC thanks to Dr. Graham. I can say that everyone in there is just as surprised as us about the inactivity. It seems that they are less confident about their recently upped forecast, but as many here have stated we have a lot of real estate to cover and plenty of opportunity for a burst of activity going into September and October.
4 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#903 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:31 am

weathaguyry wrote:I just finished an amazing tour of the NHC thanks to Dr. Graham. I can say that everyone in there is just as surprised as us about the inactivity. It seems that they are less confident about their recently upped forecast, but as many here have stated we have a lot of real estate to cover and plenty of opportunity for a burst of activity going into September and October.

I feel like this season starting around the 25 th of this month through October is going to get nuts so it looks like we go from slow to woah
2 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#904 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 am

No development per Mr. Ortt not even with that kelvin wave

https://twitter.com/DerekOrtt/status/1161676415747665920

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#905 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 am

SFLcane wrote:No development per Mr. Ortt not even with that kelvin wave

He adds this:

https://twitter.com/DerekOrtt/status/1161677117651849216

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#906 Postby DioBrando » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm

They say that every year though when there's a lull so I'm simply muting what Ortt says. 2018 was far worse conditions-wise.
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#907 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:03 pm

SFLcane wrote:No development per Mr. Ortt not even with that kelvin wave

But he's only referring to Cape and MDR systems, not the GoM system tat the GFS has been showing, right?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#908 Postby DioBrando » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Also muting season cancellers... I can remember when many said exactly the same thing last year.
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=119402&start=180 I had to dig up this thread.

>hostile
>shear
>dry air
>cancel!

Models have been TRENDING towards a more conducive September/October during the past few days. I place higher weighting on shear, dry air and SST models and lower weighting on precipitation models. Trends are important, hence I'm muting calls for season canceling. If the state was horrible like it was in 2013/14, then I would have not bothered with looking at the season altogether. It's not 2013. Remember when the sinking motion in 2018 actually cleared a lot quicker than what was anticipated, then Florence came for dinner? Plus that year had a building El Nino. This year is a dissipating (now dissipated) Nino.

Here is the CFS (pretty reliable) shear graph for now...:
You can't get anything out of this right now! This is peak hostility! This is normal for any year.

...compare that with predicted shear for September...:

...and the reds finally start to relax, being replaced by blues.

The (double) CCKW will likely get quick spinups in the meanwhile (short-term) and in September we could get 1 or 2 little longtrackers around the G/H/I range (also as indicated on a pressure map.)

CFS rainfall maps for Africa in September are good.

The way the climate models are like right now, realistically, end name could be Lorenzo or Melissa (putting weighting on both FUTURE TRENDS and THE CURRENT SHORT-TERM STATE.) But all that could change.
6 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#909 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm

CFS bouncing between low-activity eastern Atlantic and high Gulf activity, and a largely dead GoM with more MDR activity, looks like it's settling on a compromise between the two--a moderately active season alternating between small spurts of activity in the Atlantic itself, followed by spurts of Gulf and western Caribbean activity (and continuing to focus on mid-September to mid-November peak--essentially the bulk of the activity occurring about one month later than normal.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#910 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Hammy wrote:CFS bouncing between low-activity eastern Atlantic and high Gulf activity, and a largely dead GoM with more MDR activity, looks like it's settling on a compromise between the two--a moderately active season alternating between small spurts of activity in the Atlantic itself, followed by spurts of Gulf and western Caribbean activity (and continuing to focus on mid-September to mid-November peak--essentially the bulk of the activity occurring about one month later than normal.

Could the seasons be starting later due to climate change?
1 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#911 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:33 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
Hammy wrote:CFS bouncing between low-activity eastern Atlantic and high Gulf activity, and a largely dead GoM with more MDR activity, looks like it's settling on a compromise between the two--a moderately active season alternating between small spurts of activity in the Atlantic itself, followed by spurts of Gulf and western Caribbean activity (and continuing to focus on mid-September to mid-November peak--essentially the bulk of the activity occurring about one month later than normal.

Wouldn't be particularly surprising, another poster earlier mentioned the WAM being too far north the last few years to produce anything in August and if I remember right, that coincided with Europe's heat waves.
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#912 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:05 am

Hammy wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

Wouldn't be particularly surprising, another poster earlier mentioned the WAM being too far north the last few years to produce anything in August and if I remember right, that coincided with Europe's heat waves.

I do think a strong northward-displaced WAM can produce more MDR activity later on in the season, even well into October. I think Nadine last year was a clue. I also have a general feeling that the 2019 Atlantic season could be heavily backloaded, perhaps with October being the most active month this year.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#913 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 am

More crickets on this mornings 06z GFS... Eventually something has to give as we head into the REAL season.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#914 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:43 am

SFLcane wrote:More crickets on this mornings 06z GFS... Eventually something has to give as we head into the REAL season.

Either that or it’s see you in 2020!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#915 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:More crickets on this mornings 06z GFS... Eventually something has to give as we head into the REAL season.

Or we'll get 1914 2.0 :cry: :lol:
1 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#916 Postby jconsor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 am

0 likes   

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#917 Postby jconsor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 am

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#918 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 am

SFLcane wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

I think we’re already slightly ahead of that year. :lol:

Either way I’m dying to track some storms and hurricanes that harmlessly affect nobody. Honestly in my opinion I don’t think this season will have much of that to offer. :(
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

jconsor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#919 Postby jconsor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 am

Dr. Ryan Truchelut from WeatherTiger, one of the most insightful tropical meteorologists I know of, posted in his weekly tropical update:

https://weathertiger.com/videos/tropical-videos/

"Longer-term, there is a weak relationship between slow starts to hurricane season and final outcomes. For the 14 seasons since 1950 nearest the 25th percentile (where we are now) on August 15th, eight finished below and six above the median. While our updated seasonal outlook issued last week zigged where others zagged and called for slightly below average total activity and near average U.S. landfall risks going forward, I do think we are a couple weeks out from a notable burst of tropical activity timed to nearly coincide with the climatological peak of hurricane season."

And a humorous, tongue-in-cheek, yet important comment at the end:
"To be a meteorologist is to meditate daily on the nature of uncertainty. The only givens here are the standards of death and taxes, plus the Tallahassee radar going down in any rain heavier than light, and hurricane threats over three-day weekends. When past performance doesn’t predict future results, the only option is to keep watching the skies."
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#920 Postby NotSparta » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Either that or it’s see you in 2020!

I think we’re already slightly ahead of that year. :lol:

Either way I’m dying to track some storms and hurricanes that harmlessly affect nobody. Honestly in my opinion I don’t think this season will have much of that to offer. :(

Maybe the NHC will find that Andrea wasn't really a storm, and Barry was never a hurricane, and there's no more activity for the rest of the season :lol:
4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”