Donate Blood

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

decgirl66
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Donate Blood

#1 Postby decgirl66 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:08 pm

I haven't seen anything about this, but I am feeling about as helpless as I ever have in my life right now. I hurt so badly for these people that have been affected by this storm...I am going to try and donate blood tomorrow, anyone know if you can request it be used for disaster relief?
I am 0-, so I know they can use it for any blood type!
I guess it is the next best thing I can do as I can't afford to donate any money. :(
0 likes   

DelrayMorris
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby DelrayMorris » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 pm

I'm going to donate plasma ASAP. Like you, I'm not able to afford to donate money right now (due somewhat to hurricanes of last year and having 3 teeangers). So, the only thing I can do is donate plasma (AB+, so I am able to donate plasma for any blood type).

I'm not sure if you are able to specifically request it be used for diaster relief, but I've donated plasma for specific people before. Best thing to do is ask when you get there.

I feel so useless and helpless that I can't think of anything else to do, except give clothes. I'm just not sure they are really at the stage of accepting clothes right now. I mean, where would you put them?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#3 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Unfortunately, it's my understanding from working at UK during Andrew -- blood donations cannot be designated to certain areas. They can be donated for family members at a hospital blood bank where a loved one is having surgery. Or you can make an autologous donation (your blood, for your own future use). However, I saw many bags of blood in the ER during traumas that were labeled with origins from all across the country. Blood gets shipped where it needs to go so that it does not go to waste.

So, the more who donate, the more there will be to go around...and possibly get to those who need it in the Gulf Coast regions. :)

It never hurts for more than a second...and it's perfectly safe. I hope everyone who can donate will. :)
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#4 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:27 pm

Also, remember if you donate plasma through a blood bank, it will be used for patients. However, if you donate plasma through one of those apheresis clinics that pays for the visits, it can only be used for research and production of vaccinations. Only blood products from volunteer donors can be used on patient recipients.
0 likes   

DelrayMorris
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby DelrayMorris » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:33 pm

I actually didn't know that, GalvestonDuck, but I only go to the blood bank, anyway. They give me lunch if I go between 11 AM and 1 PM, but other than that, there's no payment. I usually try to do it early in the morning, anyway.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:55 pm

DelrayMorris wrote:I actually didn't know that, GalvestonDuck, but I only go to the blood bank, anyway. They give me lunch if I go between 11 AM and 1 PM, but other than that, there's no payment. I usually try to do it early in the morning, anyway.

Cool, Morris! :) Yeah, food is okay. I get cookies and juice. :D
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#7 Postby Derek Ortt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 pm

will one be able to make an early donation? I just donated 2.5 weeks ago and want to waive the 8 week waiting period requirement
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:13 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:will one be able to make an early donation? I just donated 2.5 weeks ago and want to waive the 8 week waiting period requirement

Nope, for your health. I'm in the same boat...same as I was after 9/11. Had to wait. In some ways, it's better though. Blood is only good for a short time. If they have too much all at once, like after 9/11, much of it will go to waste if not used. However, if people space out when they donate (and those of us who need to, wait until our time comes around again), there will be plenty over the course of several weeks. Besides, many survivors might have to have surgeries in the coming weeks. So, if there is new, fresh blood being donated regularly, that can guarantee they will have some when it's time for their surgery.

But you need those full two months before your body is able to donate that next pint. :)
0 likes   

cswitwer
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby cswitwer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Good to know GD - I was planning on seeing if I could donate blood this Friday since we don't have much money.

Should we wait then for a few days, or a week or so before donating?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:24 am

cswitwer wrote:Good to know GD - I was planning on seeing if I could donate blood this Friday since we don't have much money.

Should we wait then for a few days, or a week or so before donating?

It's your choice. But if you want to donate Friday, it's as good of a time as any. :)
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”