Katrina and your mortgage.

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Katrina and your mortgage.

#1 Postby scostorms » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:47 pm

I'm not saying this as a joke, but to all those thousands of homes affected by the flooding and the hurricane in the area... Does everyone still have to pay their mortgage?
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:48 pm

of course. insurance companies are going to foot a massive bill. that's what insurance is for.
0 likes   

Louise
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3 Postby Louise » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:49 pm

I was wondering the same thing! I wouldn't. Most people won't and why give money for a house that's probably destroyed and it could take months to get the insurance money.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby drudd1 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:50 pm

Louise wrote:I was wondering the same thing! I wouldn't. Most people won't and why give money for a house that's probably destroyed and it could take months to get the insurance money.

Because if you don't, the insurance company will be building it back for someone else.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

robjay

#5 Postby robjay » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 pm

The way the founding fathers intended our laws to be, those that gave loans took a certain amount of risk and debtors were allowed bankruptcy if they were unable to pay. I think this Congress passed a bill to do away with all that and shame on them - the credit card copies bought your representatives and most of them were Republicans!!! If I were a Republican, this is an excellent time to back out of your bad bill!! Believe me, I will never vote for a Democrat unless for some outstanding issue (i.e. prolife), but the Repulicans did themselves in on this one.
0 likes   

FloridaDiver
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby FloridaDiver » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:19 pm

Louise wrote:I was wondering the same thing! I wouldn't. Most people won't and why give money for a house that's probably destroyed and it could take months to get the insurance money.

It’s not like you “wouldn’t” pay your mortgage, it’s more likely related to you “couldn’t” pay your mortgages, very easy hypothesis to understand. Most businesses are destroyed, so the income stream is gone as well, no work, no money, no mortgage payments. These poor families have much more on their mind, looking for loved ones and basic survival instincts are more important at this time them worrying about ones mortgage payment.
0 likes   

flashflood
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby flashflood » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 pm

After Hurricane Andrew, most Banks extended our payment schedule without any penalties, so we had a few months to get our insurance and fema claims in. Most pepople I knew who lost their houses had their insurance company pay off the mortgage and left to start over far away from any Hurricanes. Also, some credit card compaines extended payments as well.
0 likes   

kometes
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby kometes » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 pm

Watch for insurers to bail out of the gulf coast, if they haven't already. Those that will still write policies will jack up the premiums.

Oh, and if you had private windstorm insurance, welcome to the pool.
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am

robjay wrote:The way the founding fathers intended our laws to be, those that gave loans took a certain amount of risk and debtors were allowed bankruptcy if they were unable to pay. I think this Congress passed a bill to do away with all that and shame on them - the credit card copies bought your representatives and most of them were Republicans!!! If I were a Republican, this is an excellent time to back out of your bad bill!! Believe me, I will never vote for a Democrat unless for some outstanding issue (i.e. prolife), but the Repulicans did themselves in on this one.

you say shame on the the loaner... but really... it all balances out. because they assume such little risk, they are able to give us lower interest rates. if anytime a home was destroyed, the person didn't have to make good on the mortgage, the bank would have to charge much, much higher rates to cover their risk.
0 likes   

BUD
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby BUD » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:37 am

Then you will be taken to court and and your wages will be garnished.The only thing is the Mortgage companys "might" wait 6 months for a payment before they start taking people to court.If I were them I move to Texas a NON-garnished state and start all over.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”