Armed Looters in Fur Coats Victimized Hospital Workers

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#41 Postby gtalum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:25 am

beenthru6 wrote:They showed footage inside a store this morning of two female police officers looting right along with the rest of the crowd. .

I saw that video, and was wondering if maybe teh cops had just grabbed stuff from other looters and were tryign to stop the looting. I guess I'm just an optimist.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#42 Postby Persepone » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:25 am

If there is a shoot to kill order on looters, then yes, you leave them where they lie--dead or injured.

Shoot a few of them and leave them there and the word will spread quickly among the other looters...

This worked very well in other countries and in wars, etc.

But you have to be pretty ruthless and you have to shoot to kill for looting--you can't start differentiating between looters who steal jewelry vs. looters who steal diapers or bottled water--or even grapes.

Looting is looting.

Looting is particularly evil because you are victimizing the victims.
0 likes   

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

#43 Postby beenthru6 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:27 am

gtalum wrote:
beenthru6 wrote:They showed footage inside a store this morning of two female police officers looting right along with the rest of the crowd. .

I saw that video, and was wondering if maybe teh cops had just grabbed stuff from other looters and were tryign to stop the looting. I guess I'm just an optimist.

One of the officers said she was just "doing what she had to do". Um, yeah right!
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#44 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:29 am

beenthru6 wrote:They showed footage inside a store this morning of two female police officers looting right along with the rest of the crowd. :grr: :grr: I hope that is an isolated thing among the police force of NO, but I am beginning to wonder how rampant the "if it is there I can take it" attitude is among those who are supposed to be trying to stop the criminal element and the attitude of anarchy in the city.

The veneer of civilization can be quite thin...and when lawlessless is allowed to flourish, then many of societies bonds fray and break.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby bvigal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 am

Sometimes, I just want to say:
"Hey, anyone who has not touched drowned bodies with their own hands; or taken reports from friends/rescuers, describing in anguish how they can only helplessly watch victims holding onto a car roof as their car floats away; or taking frantic radio reports about blood arriving at the WRONG town/hospital as tornado victims miles away may bleed to death; or done damage assessments on homes filled for weeks with 4 feet of putrid, snake-infested muddy water, and looked into the inhabitants' shocked eyes, knowing they were in no condition to even begin to understand the convoluted process of paperwork necessary to get offical help; then they can't possibly know the 'reality' of this type of situation."

Some of us are older, and have seen more than others. Some are young and innocent and going through a shocking learning experience. Some know only what the cable media dishes out in sensational bites, and don't pursue more information from a diverse selection of deeply-detailed articles. Also, we all have different perspectives based upon our own lives.

Yes, it's easy to allow oneself to feel frustrated at times when someone doesn't see things the way we feel is 'correct'. But, it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Especially at a time like this, we need to be extra kind to one another. That does matter.
0 likes   

kck70
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

SAD

#46 Postby kck70 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:26 am

I think these people with fur coats are lower then mud. I can't feel for them but the ones I DO feel for are the poor people who have children and no food ect. to take care of their little ones...if I see someone caring a pack of diapers or formula out of a store(looting) I can't get mad...but when I see a guy with a fur coat and gun stealing a tv i get pissed(outraged)...if these gansters are going to steal why dont they put it to good use and feed their fellow people and children trapped in this town of despair... :grr:
0 likes   

KG4HPN
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#47 Postby KG4HPN » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:28 am

I think there's a distinction that needs to be made here that hasn't been yet. People here have been talking about two completely different phenomena as though they are the same: looting and scavenging.

Scavenging v. tr.

1. To search through for salvageable material: scavenged the garbage cans for food scraps.

Scagenging for food, water, and other essentials is absolutely understandable at this point in New Orleans. The people left in the city are in an absolute struggle for survival. It doesn't matter if it was through a lack of planning or because of poverty or a bad decision in the face of mandatory evacuations, the reality is many (most? all?) people trapped in New Orleans at this time have NO potable water and nothing safe to eat. Consider this when you feel unsympathetic: if you were planning to ride out a storm (whether that was a sound decision or not) would you stash your hurricane supplies in YOUR ATTIC?

Looting: v. plundering during riots or in wartime

Is despicable, and I agree with many of the posters who have stated that these people should be dealt with in the strongest way possible.

-Jet
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#48 Postby CajunMama » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:40 am

After reading about the looters I'm of a mindset now to just let them loot. They won't make it out alive anyway with the water rising. They don't seem to care about evacuating.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#49 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:42 am

Exactly! Like a coworker of mine asked, "Where are they gonna take it? There's nothing but water for blocks and blocks." And my thought, how are they gonna live, hauling a big screen TV around...no power to watch it anyway.
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#50 Postby Praxus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:54 am

"But you have to be pretty ruthless and you have to shoot to kill for looting--you can't start differentiating between looters who steal jewelry vs. looters who steal diapers or bottled water--or even grapes.

Looting is looting. "

Wow I guess there's all sorts of people in this world. Even those like this
poster who advocate murdering people desperate for food and water.

Wake up call, the world is not black and white. There is a massive difference between looting out of desperation for necessities and looting to take advantage for personal gain.
0 likes   

Robert
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby Robert » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:08 am

GalvestonDuck wrote:Exactly! Like a coworker of mine asked, "Where are they gonna take it? There's nothing but water for blocks and blocks." And my thought, how are they gonna live, hauling a big screen TV around...no power to watch it anyway.

I saw/ heard an interview yesterday (I think it was with someone from the state police) and they said that law enforcement will be collecting all the tapes of the looting and will be looking for those people after they get done with the emergency "stuff" (rescues and stuff). In East Lansing Michigan there was a big "party" a few years ago after a ball game. Ended up that some cars got in the way and were destroyed, along with a lot of stuff thrown into the steets and burned, etc.. (basically a riot). But the TV crews were there filming the whole thing. After it was done, they went back, arrested and pressed charges against those they could identify.

I agree that looting is wrong (and have heard the reports of police getting some of the "best stuff"). But I think that police (most) are doing what they can now with saving lives. Some of those who are more interested in looting then leaving will die, and some (most) will never be identified from the tapes, but in the final post game wrap up, how much does it matter? If a store is going under water, 99% of the merchandise is going to be destroyed (do you want a fur coat that has been sitting in sewage for 4 weeks?). Sure, it makes me angry, but I think the police (national guard, etc..) do have their priorities right. Lets help those that want help, and let the looters fend for themselves. If they make it out alive and can be identified, let them do community service by scrubbing the streets with toothbrushes, on their hands and knees, after the sewage all drains away.

Robert
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 am

I have to laugh at this. We can all get angry at the looters, but really, how far can they get with all of this stuff, with the water rising, the city being evacuated??? We saw teens stealing bikes......how far can they ride them? Unless they added some kind of "batman" floating devices. All the clothing these people stole......in the heat are they going to put it all on and layer it up??? The nike shoes, how many feet do they have?? I am not sure I have heard of "intelligent" looters, but you would think they would loot the local boat or marina shop.....Seems they may need some life jackets or blow up rafts.......the only way they will be able to transport the looted items. Of course, now it is obvious why they were trying to carjack and rob people. They need something to transport their stolen goods in. And money to buy gas with. Guess they are not aware that finding gas in the area is almost impossible. Oh THATS right, they have no electricity to watch their brand new stolen big screen TV's. (shaking my head at the stupidity of some people)
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”