Gun/pawn shops being broken into by gangs.

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

Gun/pawn shops being broken into by gangs.

#1 Postby beenthru6 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:05 am

MSNBC's Ron Reagan just reported that groups(gangs) of young men are looting gun and pawn shops stealing guns and ammo and arming themselves and roaming the city now armed by who knows how many weapons. Anyone left in the city now who has anything they want will be likely shot if they don't give things up. Who knows, they may be shot by these gangs even if they do give up what little they have willingly. Just when you think things can't get any worse....they do.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby alicia-w » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am

maybe they'all just shoot each other and save the police the trouble.
0 likes   

kevin

#3 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am

The military is coming and/or there, these thugs will be dealt with.
0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby mascpa » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:13 am

This really comes as no surprise. People with this mind set will break into every store and steal everything if they are allowed to (which will probably be the case).

I'm really struck by the dichotomy of human nature being shown here. On the one hand you have people who think only of themselves and who will take advantage of any situation to rob and steal because they somehow feel they are entitled. On the other hand, you have people who will do just about anything to help others and give the shirt off their back to help those who have suffered grievous harm. Why this huge difference in human behavior? Because of how they were raised and the values that were instilled in them? I have no idea as the former behavior is simply beyond my comprehension to understand.

Flame on.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby CentralFlGal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:13 am

3 words.

Shot on sight.

These base opportunists need to quit now while they're ahead. Taking advantage of disasters is beyond comprehension.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby CentralFlGal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:18 am

mascpa wrote:This really comes as no surprise. People with this mind set will break into every store and steal everything if they are allowed to (which will probably be the case).

I'm really struck by the dichotomy of human nature being shown here. On the one hand you have people who think only of themselves and who will take advantage of any situation to rob and steal because they somehow feel they are entitled. On the other hand, you have people who will do just about anything to help others and give the shirt off their back to help those who have suffered grievous harm. Why this huge difference in human behavior? Because of how they were raised and the values that were instilled in them? I have no idea as the former behavior is simply beyond my comprehension to understand.

Flame on.

It's called empathy. The ability to put yourself in other people's shoes. It's a fine human attribute (also displayed by animals like elephants, for instance, when mourning a loss), but if it's not instilled during childhood, then it's a lost cause.

I remain optimistic that the better half of human nature will prevail. Hopefully.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Canelaw99 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:19 am

This already happened here in S. FL when Katrina passed through here Thursday night. A whole wall full of guns is now out on our streets. It's just a sad note on humanity that these people are doing this I suppose.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby CentralFlGal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:21 am

This is the first I heard of this, Canelaw. Grotesque.
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Canelaw99 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:26 am

Here's the detail of the story - it was up in Broward County:

http://www.nbc6.net/news/4916995/detail.html
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby JenBayles » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:34 am

I suppose it was a matter of time. Anyone still opposed to shooting these thugs on sight now?
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby Praxus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:41 am

I don't think anyone is opposed to shooting armed looters.

These looting threads are getting really repetitive and there's not
much new to be said. From now on if you want to make a looting thread,
please also post a couple of 'shoot them all on sight' messages to save
the kill em all crowd the trouble.
0 likes   

Mattie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Mattie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:43 am

And they are going to take them where? Shoot whom? Each other?? They will leave (without "stuff") or they will die ("with stuff"). . . .

The city is declared uninhabitable. There will be enough armed forces (police/military etc.) that will be staying behind the massive evacuation effort. There will be oversight in the evacation efforts and there is no way any of that "stuff" is leaving the city in the hands of looters.

Go figure - how long can you hang on to just a couple of weapons and nothing else to sustain your life?
0 likes   

cancunkid
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby cancunkid » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:20 pm

I heard about this last night and where ever this pawn shop was they then burned it to cover the break-in. The fire was ingniting the remaining ammo so it was too hazardous to get near the place.
0 likes   

mettski
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#14 Postby mettski » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:22 pm

redistribution of wealth eh. according to cnn, water is not rising, which is good news at last if true.
0 likes   

Rory
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#15 Postby Rory » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:01 pm

Mattie wrote:And they are going to take them where? Shoot whom? Each other?? They will leave (without "stuff") or they will die ("with stuff"). . . .

The city is declared uninhabitable. There will be enough armed forces (police/military etc.) that will be staying behind the massive evacuation effort. There will be oversight in the evacation efforts and there is no way any of that "stuff" is leaving the city in the hands of looters.

Go figure - how long can you hang on to just a couple of weapons and nothing else to sustain your life?
There are still store owners left trying to defend their stores. I've heard there was actually a shootout on Bourbon Street at about 2 am this morning, leaving 6 dead, including 5 looters.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:16 pm

Like I have said already, ALL looters should be shot on the spot, looters who are stealing anything and everything that they can. Taking food or water is one thing but breaking into cars and shops just to steal is another, shoot them sorry POS on the spot. :grr: :grr: :grrr: :grrr:
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#17 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:22 pm

Well for what it's worth, the people there looting and not evacuating, there fate pretty much has been sealed, and they will soon answer to their maker.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”