Don't Give Up on New Orleans

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#61 Postby GalvestonDuck » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:33 am

Well said, guys.

But again - a reminder:

Let's not get into debates about rebuilding. Now is not the time. I have been PM'd by members who have been directly affected by Katrina and wish to avoid reading threads like that (particularly those focused on not rebuilding). These are their homes and communities that you're saying should not be rebuilt. Please respect what they're going through. Many of them are still waiting to learn the fates of their homes and jobs. Worst of all, some still do not know the fates of their friends and families.

Let's help them through this first.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby sunny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:59 am

First, I would like to say "thank you" to the peopel who have been supportive and encouraging to those of us living this nightmare.

To the rest, I would like to say - well, I can't tell you what I would like to. But I think you know where I am going. You either don't know or don't care. My oldest brother's house is destroyed. His roof is gone and he has 8 feet of water in it. That is what has been verified as far as loss is concerned with my family. The rest we are just going on reports and rumors. We won't know until we can get back in to see. See, we are stuck in Atlanta. Jefferson Parish residents will be allowed to return on Monday to get clothes and essentials. We will then be REQUIRED to leave again, and will not be allowed to return for ONE MONTH. That is the good side of it. I work in downtown New Orleans. Might not have a job to go back to. If I do, it will be a while. Think I asked for this? Think I like this? Think I like seeing the place I have called home for 45 years being destroyed?

As far as the gambling and partying - how should God rid us of Vegas, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, New York. I am getting to my end people. You really need to stop and think before you post. It is not easy watching the city I have lived in my entire life go down the drain. And the lack of compassion by some of the people is astonishing to me. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I hope those people NEVER have to find out what it is like to live this nightmare.

I realize this post will most likely be removed. But I am just tired of reading some of the crap I have.
0 likes   

pup55
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

constructive suggestion

#63 Postby pup55 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:18 am

Example from American history:

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/timeline/stlevels.html

there might be a way.....
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#64 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:22 am

I posted something to this affect another thread last night. Someone above said history didn't matter. As someone with a History degree I believe it does - history has a strange pattern of repeating.

At one time, Indianola was was the largest port on the Texas coast. It was a small, thriving city. After the second major hurricane in 1886, the town ceased to exist. The county seat was moved to Port Lavaca and all that remains of Indianola today is a historical marker.

People cite Galveston as an example of rebuilding. In 1900, it was the "Wall Street of the South" and the commercial hub for SE Texas. Yes, the city was rebuilt, but it was never the same. Houston quickly overtook Galveston in significance and the port of Houston for all intents and purposes replaced the Port of Galveston. Now Houston is the 4th largest city in the US.

I'm afraid New Orleans will have a similiar fate. Even IF the city ever reopens it will be several months, perhaps well over a year before any significant population can return. In the meantime, these people will find new jobs and new lives in other cities. Will they even go back?? I'm sure some will, determined to make New Orleans shine again. But the economy of the city at best will be very depressed for many, many years.

The closest thing I can relate it to right now is the horrific images of Richmond, Va. after the Civil War, and it makes me sick.
0 likes   

arcticfire
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#65 Postby arcticfire » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:09 am

I know that people will do what it takes to start rebuilding NOLA , thats just the way we americans are. We refuse to be told where we can and cannot live , regardless of hardship or even common sence.

With that said there are some simple realities those gung ho to rebuild should understand. There is no garuntee NOLA won't be hit by another hurricane even this season , remember it's not over. Whats that poor little town in the florida panhandle thats been hit like 3 times in the past yer ? Pensicola I think ?

It's going to take years to rebuild NOLA to what it was. It's easy to think that well the disaster is over now e can rebuild and deal with a hurrican in another 50 years. Thats folly. Even if they decided to build a whole new hurricane proof levee system how many years to complete it ? Will NOLA get hit again before it's done etc etc.

Stop thinking of it as the danger has passed. If anything right now is EXACTLY like 3 weeks ago only NOLA is even less able to handle a hit now. The danger and the chance of being hit is exactly the same now. People should stop thinking in terms of the danger is over from hurricans, there is no schedual no pattern , if your on the coast eventually you get hit.

Rebuild ? sure go ahead , just stop acting like the danger has passed , it's only even worse then before now.

They should rework the whole area to be above sea level , it makes no sence whatsoever to have one of the most vital hubs of this countries economy be the absolute most vounerable place in the country to mother nature. The flooding going on right now is not so much the hurrican or storm surge flooding the city , it's much more our engineering failed.

So go ahead rebuild , but rebuild in a way that will prevent a repeat of this next year.
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

#66 Postby Mello1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:37 am

sunny wrote:First, I would like to say "thank you" to the peopel who have been supportive and encouraging to those of us living this nightmare.

To the rest, I would like to say - well, I can't tell you what I would like to. But I think you know where I am going. You either don't know or don't care. My oldest brother's house is destroyed. His roof is gone and he has 8 feet of water in it. That is what has been verified as far as loss is concerned with my family. The rest we are just going on reports and rumors. We won't know until we can get back in to see. See, we are stuck in Atlanta. Jefferson Parish residents will be allowed to return on Monday to get clothes and essentials. We will then be REQUIRED to leave again, and will not be allowed to return for ONE MONTH. That is the good side of it. I work in downtown New Orleans. Might not have a job to go back to. If I do, it will be a while. Think I asked for this? Think I like this? Think I like seeing the place I have called home for 45 years being destroyed?

As far as the gambling and partying - how should God rid us of Vegas, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, New York. I am getting to my end people. You really need to stop and think before you post. It is not easy watching the city I have lived in my entire life go down the drain. And the lack of compassion by some of the people is astonishing to me. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I hope those people NEVER have to find out what it is like to live this nightmare.

I realize this post will most likely be removed. But I am just tired of reading some of the crap I have.

Amen. I for one do understand and you have my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
0 likes   

TazzyD
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby TazzyD » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:46 pm

sunny wrote:First, I would like to say "thank you" to the peopel who have been supportive and encouraging to those of us living this nightmare.

You know how I feel. I'm there with you every step of the way, my friend.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”