Slidell Info Needed

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KLP124
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Slidell Info Needed

#1 Postby KLP124 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:48 am

Sorry, the search option isn't working for me. A guy here at work has family in Slidell and wants to know if anyone has heard anything from that area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby jopatura » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:49 am

I've heard the news from there has been spotty at best and that no one really knows all that much about St. Tammany Parish.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:51 am

The very sketchy reports are total devastation... probably from surge with significant wind damage. It may be days and days before anyone knows really what happened.
0 likes   
#neversummer

cjrciadt
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby cjrciadt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:52 am

Zero info from the major cable networks of Sidell or other towns in that area. I dont want to imagine to damage they will find.
0 likes   

soney
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby soney » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:53 am

The most I've seen is on WWL website that it is underwater, I'm sorry.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby melhow » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:54 am

WWLTV site has weather forums dedicated to parish specific updates/discussions:

Weather Forum Updates for your area

Jefferson Parish
Lafourche Parish
Orleans Parish
Plaquemines Parish
St. Bernard Parish
St. Charles Parish
St. James Parish
St. John Parish
St. Tammany Parish
Tangipahoa Parish
Washington Parish

http://www.wwltv.com/
0 likes   

dgparent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby dgparent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:02 am

Sorry not good news for you ::

Northshore Bureau Chief Mike Ross says information from the Northshore has been sparse because there is no communication available from that side of the Lake.

He emphasized that no residents are being allowed back in to St. Tammany and anyone attempting to return is being stopped by law enforcement.

He said a handful of angry residents were seen at most exits – unhappy that they couldn’t go home.

St. Tammany Parish officials asked those reading about the situation on the Internet to warn relatives not to return at this time and no certain time has been set at which they would be allowed back.

The visual inspections of Ross and his photographer Mike Bland showed that Slidell has probably endured massive storm surge damage.

He said Lake Pontchartrain overflowed its banks and had chest-deep water from the Lake to the Old Spanish trail exit.

“You can’t tell where the Lake ends and Slidell begins,” he said.

St. Tammany Parish officials plan to send boats into the area Tuesday to assess the damage and look for survivors.

In Covington and Mandeville, there was extensive wind and tree damage and power was out to every place he went.

Mike Ross said more information would be available Tuesday.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby alicia-w » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:08 am

The mayor of New Orleans just said the Slidell was totally under water....
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby scostorms » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:27 am

I need desparate information on Pearl River, Louisiana less than 5 miles north of Slidell too. CNN reporters are going along the coast now to all the cities where there is no communication, Slidell included. Keep tune to CNN.
0 likes   

flarrfan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Slidell pics

#10 Postby flarrfan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:33 am

0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby lurkey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:06 am

I came across this blog with information about Slidell LA and remembered that there were several posts over here requesting information.
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby scostorms » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:54 am

Oh Lord. I hope our friends are ok! This worries me, Pearl River(Louisiana) is only minutes north of Slidell. So you know, 6 of them rode out the storm in their unprepared house. We have put up info on a website about missing people, asking for any information on Pearl River and the family we are friends with. Incase any of you hear anything, they are the Sdur's.
0 likes   

ktulu909
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#13 Postby ktulu909 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:31 am

I know its late and the only fact that I can provide is that a section of the twin spans it looked like northbound is indeed gone,around the eden isles sign over it.CNN with the pictures.Have yet to hear ONE direct report from or on Slidell.
0 likes   

Eye10TX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Local reporter is in Slidell

#14 Postby Eye10TX » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:04 am

One of our local Houston reporters is in Slidell. He was originally in Hammond on Day 1 and then Covington yesterday, so I was surprised to see his report tonight when he signed off and said he was in Slidell, because I didn't think they were letting anyone in.

The video is online. Go to http://www.abc13.com -- look for the Katrina box at the top of the page (you can't miss it). Among the links in that box is one that says "Wayne's Slidell Report" - click on that.

When the video player comes up, you have to choose the segment and put it in the playlist. Scroll down the lefthand side where the clips are all listed, until you see "Wayne Dolcefino in Slidell" - click on that to put it in your playlist and watch it.

I had been waiting for St Tammany info since the start, because I used to do a lot of business in that parish a long time ago and knew several old-timers there, particularly in Slidell. I knew there were some very pretty homes and lots, plus a nice country club and so on.

What I first heard was that the entire city had taken the brunt of 175-mph winds and that it was demolished, as well as inundated and underwater. Then as I read more blog entries around the various forums, it appeared that some people had gotten in and they were saying that only part of Slidell took on the worst damage -- and that parts were not so devastated.

Most of what Wayne said tonight was emphasizing the trees down everywhere, not so much the high water. In fact, that's pretty much all he said, which made me think it was pretty bad.

My other areas of interest, because of friends, were Pass Christian and Bay St. Louis, which have also been underreported and seldom mentioned. That leads me to believe the worst loss of life must be there, considering that we've seen some of Biloxi and Gulfport, and they are in very bad shape.

Best of luck to you finding information.
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#15 Postby scostorms » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:18 am

CNN has Miles O'Brian in Slidell, everything looks better than I expected. There are damaged buildings, but not destroyed, and a lot of trees down. Plus floods still in the city. I just wish they could give word on Pearl River!
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:07 am

MSNBC just showed video... looks like part of the city is flooded, the non-water damage appears to be mostly trees/powerlines, not structures.
0 likes   
#neversummer

cp
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#17 Postby cp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:50 pm

I have family there that was able to get to their house on Jay street..near hwy 12 side. Trees down but no structure damage..
0 likes   

windsurfer77058
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Slidell info needed

#18 Postby windsurfer77058 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:13 pm

Any info on Picayune north of Slidell?
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”