New Orleans Report

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

New Orleans Report

#1 Postby skysummit » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:08 am

As most of you know, I live in the SE La. area. We're currently working in the New Orleans area trying to restore communication. My family and I are ok, and we did not suffer much damage. What we did lose can be replaced. The seen down here is absolutely ridiculous. People are going insane and their jungle insticts have taken over. The people on the streets are shooting at the helicopters trying to evacuate people from danger. A riot has broken out in the Superdome this morning. Looting is out of control. Within the last 40 minutes, they announced that Baton Rouge, La. is under lockdown because the caos has hit there. People are looting in downtown B.R. and another riot has broken out there. They were starting to evacuate government officials from Baton Rouge.

As for the damage, I have never seen anything like it. I helped for recovery for Ivan and there is no comaprison. Most of the area is under water and there are some locations of SE La. that are completely gone. The Mississippi Gulf Coast is wiped away. What the flooding and storm surge did not destroy, the wind did.

I just wanted to give a quick post....now back to work. Pray for us.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby soonertwister » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:14 am

Looting in Baton Rouge? Has all sanity been lost?

The fires of Hades appear to be descending upon the entire region.
0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby mascpa » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:16 am

And I didn't think things could get much worse. "Jungle instincts" is right. I have a feeling the ugly side of human behavior is going to make things worse, much worse, in the coming days, and yes, probably weeks. How do you regain control of such a situation? Are we going to have to start shooting looters on sight? Geez, Lord please please please help!!!
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby djtil » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:21 am

source for baton rouge info?
0 likes   

mvtrucking
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: New Orleans Report

#5 Postby mvtrucking » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:21 am

skysummit wrote:As most of you know, I live in the SE La. area. We're currently working in the New Orleans area trying to restore communication. My family and I are ok, and we did not suffer much damage. What we did lose can be replaced. The seen down here is absolutely ridiculous. People are going insane and their jungle insticts have taken over. The people on the streets are shooting at the helicopters trying to evacuate people from danger. A riot has broken out in the Superdome this morning. Looting is out of control. Within the last 40 minutes, they announced that Baton Rouge, La. is under lockdown because the caos has hit there. People are looting in downtown B.R. and another riot has broken out there. They were starting to evacuate government officials from Baton Rouge.

As for the damage, I have never seen anything like it. I helped for recovery for Ivan and there is no comaprison. Most of the area is under water and there are some locations of SE La. that are completely gone. The Mississippi Gulf Coast is wiped away. What the flooding and storm surge did not destroy, the wind did.

I just wanted to give a quick post....now back to work. Pray for us.

Very happy to hear that you all are ok. Do you have any way of confirming these repots of rioting in Baton Rouge? My brother is there and I have been unable to contact him down there. We may head down to check on him in the am. Thank you.

MV
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby melhow » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:26 am

djtil wrote:source for baton rouge info?

http://2theadvocate.com/livepages4/845.shtml

at least on the city authorities being sent home.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Terry » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:28 am

The police chief for BR was live onh TV an hour or so ago saying that some of this is rumor. They have control...have assistance, will arrest people as needed..
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”