"No Need to Evac" From Em Mgmt New Orleans

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:23 pm

Governor Blanco just declared a "State of emergency" in anticipation of Katrina. wwltv
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Brent » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:24 pm

sunny wrote:Governor Blanco just declared a "State of emergency" in anticipation of Katrina. wwltv

Ahhh... I knew her name but couldn't place it.
0 likes   
#neversummer

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:25 pm

Brent wrote:
sunny wrote:Governor Blanco just declared a "State of emergency" in anticipation of Katrina. wwltv

I'd like to forget it.

lol - ssshhhh - I didn't say that!
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:26 pm

While Governor Blanco ain't all that, her performance and the state's in general IS FAR SUPERIOR than former super-popular Governor Mike Foster who hunted and went to Law School while Louisiana burned. I think she gets a ridiculously unfair shake for her job to date. Most of the evidence against her is very anecdotal.

Take that from someone who voted for her opponent.

Steve
0 likes   

tronbunny
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby tronbunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:27 pm

I said it earlier..
I'm not a weatherman, but I play one on the computer..
but if I had freinds and loved ones in NOLA, I'd strongly urge them to leave by dayight hours (to beat the rush) and go NW. (I'd even settle for Jackson/Hburg MS) just to get away from the flooding and evac chaos.
Take a very long weekend (bring the pets)
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Steve wrote:While Governor Blanco ain't all that, her performance and the state's in general IS FAR SUPERIOR than former super-popular Governor Mike Foster who hunted and went to Law School while Louisiana burned. I think she gets a ridiculously unfair shake for her job to date. Most of the evidence against her is very anecdotal.

Take that from someone who voted for her opponent.

Steve

What ever
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby Brent » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:27 pm

sunny wrote:
Brent wrote:

I'd like to forget it.

:roflmao:

Democrat or Republican?
0 likes   
#neversummer

BayouVenteux
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby BayouVenteux » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Brent wrote:

The honorable Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Known by many of her political adversaries as "Tax-lein Grab-it-all Blankcheck" :lol:
0 likes   
Andrew '92, Katrina '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Ida '21...and countless other lesser landfalling storms whose names have been eclipsed by "The Big Ones".

rtd2
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby rtd2 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:28 pm

sunny wrote:
Brent wrote:

I'd like to forget it.

:D :D :D I'm in Miss but I watch enough NOLA news to agree!
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:38 pm

PTrackerLA wrote:
jason0509 wrote:Governor of LA was just on CNN and said that there's no need to worry. They are expecting tropical storm force winds at most in LA :roll:

That makes me ever more concerned, she's pretty clueless in general IMO but let's just not go there...

Ya'll might not go there but I will. Gov. Blanco's performance in emergency situations has be pathetic. She looks at the NHC's BLACK LINE and takes it as gospel it seems. I agree that if the storm follows the black line exactly NOLA will only get moderate weather kinda like Cindy but how many times has a hurricane especially a strong cat 4 followed the black line exactly. As far as the NOLA officials go they all called the Jefferson parish president an alarmist and basically an idiot for calling for a VOLUNTARY evac during Dennis while Orleans parish officials said there was no need. That time they were right but that does not mean that they are right all the time. Its like they have the attitude "we evacuated for Georges and nothing, we evacuated for Ivan and nothing, so we will not evacuate now because nothing will happen. I am not saying that NOLA will get hit but I would not be comfortable telling people not to worry when a potential monster cane is forecast to hit less than 6O nm away.
JMHO,
TIm

PS
Soap box has been put away now but I reserve the right to get it back out.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby soonertwister » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:51 pm

One thing is for sure, if Katrina heads toward NOLA as a cat 4-5, the city is going have to turn off all power hours in advance of the arrival of the hurricane.

If the worst-case scenario occurred and the city flooded, the only thing that could be worse is flooded and on fire. In that case, the disaster could be beyond imagining.
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby storms in NC » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:04 pm

How do you know that it is even going to La? I am not being funny about this. I have family in Amite and would like to know how you are so sure the the Hurricane will go there?
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:10 pm

>>What ever

Whatever? People on the site are going all out to try to reign in those types of arrogant comments. If you want to discuss the Governor, there is no political forum on this site. As a Jindal voter (twice since he's the Rep. from my district), I have made it my business to follow what has been accomplished since she was elected. "What ever" only shows ignorance of what is going on with the state. I'm betting you're one of those partisan hacks who takes your clues from someone else. But me? I'm an independent voter who doesn't believe in Parties. If you and others would open your collective eyes, maybe you'd be able to see that in 2 years & outside of gambling, she's accomplished more than Foster, Roemer and Edwards (that's something like 24 years of state government combined) did during their tenures of putting their feat up on their desks and creating a climate where people would leave the state in droves. DO THE RESEARCH rather than listening to the talk radio crap. I have and fortunately, I can say I know better. Sorry to rant on you sunny, but that' was a b.s. answer. I could give you specifics (tank car plant, traveling to trade shows and foreign countries for business, highspeed university data research hookups and such, juvenille dention system, etc.), but again, this isn't a political forum.

Anyway, I found a room at the Regency Hotel in downtown Jackson for $68 (2 beds), kids stay free. It's one of the few *** hotels there. Hattiesburg is almost completely booked up as are many of the smaller towns around. If anyone is thinking about booking rooms, they're going fast all over the Gulf South. Good luck.

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:10 pm

storms in NC wrote:How do you know that it is even going to La? I am not being funny about this. I have family in Amite and would like to know how you are so sure the the Hurricane will go there?

Nobody is saying that the storm is going to go to NOLA for sure. It may hit far away but right now the model guidance is pointing to biloxi/pascagoula Ms. which is only a short distance away as the crow flies. These storms are not a point they cover a wide area. If the storm follows the NHC track exactly NOLA will still get bad weather from the storm. How bad remains to be seen but some squalls for sure. All of this is speculation even by the NHC. Yesterday they had the storm hitting the Big Bend area of FLA. Today close to NOLA. The problem is that a hit like this on NOLA would be extremely bad. There would likely be catastropic damage from flooding as well as a large loss of life. Therefore it is wise to err on the side of caution.
Tim
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby gatorcane » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:12 pm

the storm is still relatively far from New Orleans and anything could happen....it would have to move just W of the City to create real damage with storm surge and the probability of it moving in the exact spot is very small
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Steve wrote:>>What ever

Whatever? People on the site are going all out to try to reign in those types of arrogant comments. If you want to discuss the Governor, there is no political forum on this site. As a Jindal voter (twice since he's the Rep. from my district), I have made it my business to follow what has been accomplished since she was elected. "What ever" only shows ignorance of what is going on with the state. I'm betting you're one of those partisan hacks who takes your clues from someone else. But me? I'm an independent voter who doesn't believe in Parties. If you and others would open your collective eyes, maybe you'd be able to see that in 2 years & outside of gambling, she's accomplished more than Foster, Roemer and Edwards (that's something like 24 years of state government combined) did during their tenures of putting their feat up on their desks and creating a climate where people would leave the state in droves. DO THE RESEARCH rather than listening to the talk radio crap. I have and fortunately, I can say I know better. Sorry to rant on you sunny, but that' was a b.s. answer. I could give you specifics (tank car plant, traveling to trade shows and foreign countries for business, highspeed university data research hookups and such, juvenille dention system, etc.), but again, this isn't a political forum.

Anyway, I found a room at the Regency Hotel in downtown Jackson for $68 (2 beds), kids stay free. It's one of the few *** hotels there. Hattiesburg is almost completely booked up as are many of the smaller towns around. If anyone is thinking about booking rooms, they're going fast all over the Gulf South. Good luck.

Steve

I really like your reply Steve I voted for Jindal too but Blanco has done a fair job with economic issues however she tends to minimize emergency situations.
JMHO
Tim
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Yes it is absolutely wise to err on the side of caution. Given the latest
models and trends if I were in NOLA I would be getting prepped
right now.

Sure it may shift but better safe than sorry.

NOTE I am not wishing this storm on anyone.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#38 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:15 pm

I think that once the GFDL likely shifts more westward on the 18Z run, the NHC will have no choice but to adjust their track to New Orleans. Time is short, they can't wait much longer to get ready for evacuations. We'll be adjusting our track to New Orleans most likely at 9pm. ETA of the center on the coast south of New Orleans around noon Monday, possibly as a strong Cat 3 or Cat 4. Just about the worst-case scenario for New Orleans.

Of course, New Orleans always seems to get lucky as storms veer left or right of the city. But has their luck run out?
0 likes   

greeng13
Category 3
Category 3

#39 Postby greeng13 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:16 pm

Whatever? People on the site are going all out to try to reign in those types of arrogant comments. If you want to discuss the Governor, there is no political forum on this site.

actually there kind of is. it's called the "off topic" forum.

not that i am complaining but for future political discussions.... :wink:
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:21 pm

Steve

Whoa dude. You've taken something that was a joke and turned it into a personal attack. You don't know the first thing about me, so I would appreciate you not attacking me again.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”