To anyone who said that a "bullet was dodged"

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wwicko
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#21 Postby wwicko » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:41 am

nystate wrote:A bullet WAS dodged. Remember people saying that this thing would be 180 MPH on landfall, topple every skyscraper in NOLA, and kill at least 40,000 people? Fifty dead is small compared to that...

Those fifity dead were in one county. Most of them were in one apartment building.

Search and rescue operations are only now ramping up to full force.

It was reported on WDSU a short while ago that pre-storm surveys suggested that as many as 50% of people in Mississippi evacuation zones did not evacuate.

An 18-27 foot storm-surge may have swept many bodies to sea.

Water is still rising in NO where people remain trapped in their attics. The mayor has reported bodies floating in NO floodwaters this morning.

It was reported last night that many casualties and deaths occur following such disastrous storms as Katrina.

Predicting the number of dead is futile. I think we can only know the casualty and death tolls will rise substantially.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby gtalum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:56 am

I apologize for even thinking that a bullet was dodged.

I thought We avoided teh worst when it appeared New orleans' levees had pretty much stayed intact. little did I know their collapse was only delayed. :(
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby caribepr » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:01 am

gtalum wrote:I apologize for even thinking that a bullet was dodged.

I thought We avoided teh worst when it appeared New orleans' levees had pretty much stayed intact. little did I know their collapse was only delayed. :(

Thank god for that apology and awareness. Which brings up a point some others might consider. This event is not over yet. Landfall does NOT end the consequences as is being shown as the hours, days, and weeks, months and years to come. This isn't some television show neatly wrapped up by tonight, with a new episode to entertain you tomorrow.
Repeating, for those who seem to not quite understand...this is not over yet. It is still happening.
0 likes   

aumoore
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#24 Postby aumoore » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:01 am

nystate wrote:A bullet WAS dodged. Remember people saying that this thing would be 180 MPH on landfall, topple every skyscraper in NOLA, and kill at least 40,000 people? Fifty dead is small compared to that...

You my friend need to get your facts straight. The number officially dead was announced last night as 55 and that was in Harrison County MISSISSIPPI. We have not even heard from other areas in Misissippi much less New Orleans Lousiania.

Edited out by vbhoutex
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby RichG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:16 am

Can we agree that bullet was not dodged but maybe hit by a richochet?
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby fci » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:31 am

This thread is senseless and rapidly became inappropriate.

The calamity that occured is of historic proportions and this thread should be locked in my opinion.

There is just no need to discuss this aspect of the storm and debate what is undebatable given the tragedy.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: To anyone who said that a "bullet was dodged"

#27 Postby abajan » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:40 pm

wolfmmiii wrote:
Josephine96 wrote:Read these threads or watch the news and see exactly what is happening even though the winds and the rain are now gone..

We are watching hell unfold before us here.. The death toll might become a bit large and the damage numbers are going to be catastrophic..

A thread titled the way this one is only invites discussion. You are basically telling anyone who thought that a bullet was dodged is wrong. Personally, I come down on the side that says a bullet WAS dodged (relatively speaking). Overall, it could have been much, much worse.

However, what's been experienced is bad enough.

Agreed. But I must admit that things turned out far worse than I'd expected. We're probably looking at a death toll of around 500 (at least). :cry:

It's going to be tough going for those folks who survived, for month's and (in many cases) years to come.
0 likes   

jrtalon
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#28 Postby jrtalon » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:03 pm

no bullet was not dodged this is the scenerio thats been warned of for years, a major hurricane that surges 15ft+ pver the levees, breaking levees, pump failures. Its exactly how all the experts described the 'big one'. Katrina wasn't just one bullet, it was a freaking machine gun with a full clip that blasted way at LA and MS. NOLA took multiple bullets along with Gulfport, Biloxi and all points inbetween to Mobile, heck even a town in Georgia ravaged do to a tornado spawned by Katrina.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#29 Postby gunner1551 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm

jlauderdal wrote:

you really think 50 is the number, 40k might not be but 50 certainly isn't.

In the early stages so far I would take your 50 and mulitply it by 100. Hopefully the number in the final death toll will be lower then the estimates.
0 likes   

krysof

#30 Postby krysof » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm

Extremely smart hurricane Katrina- it didn't focus on wind, but on surge and size. It made us think NO would be saved and then the worst actually happens. Remnats of Katrina will still exist spreading flooding rains up the Coast and inland.
0 likes   

jj_frap
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Good analogy with the machine gun bullets...

#31 Postby jj_frap » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 pm

Nothing was dodged.

Think of New Orleans as a person stuck in ground 0 of an almost certain nuclear attack. Now at the last second, rather than nuking the area, the enemy poisons your region's water supply, causing you and those around you to die in unexpected agony.

The imagery may be disgusting and extreme, but it's excatly what happened and what's happening in NOLA, and nuke or poison, it's equally gruesome!
Last edited by jj_frap on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#32 Postby gunner1551 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Reword quicky or your account will be terminated. I am not a mod but it will happened before you know it. They dont like foul langauge.
0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#33 Postby AJC3 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 pm

Folks...this is truly a pointless argument. It's like someone arguing...

"No, the glass is half full!" versus "No, it's half empty!"

Neither side is really in the wrong here, it's all relative.

I think we would all agree that:

a) The devastation Katrina wrought was horrible, and

b) As horrible as it was, it could have been worse.

Let's leave it at that, and not argue about whose perspective is more or less correct - it's an unwinnable argument on either side.

my 0.02
Tony
0 likes   

nystate
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby nystate » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:32 pm

First of all, when I posted 50 was the official death toll. It has risen substantially, and I am aware of that.

No one needs to lecture me on hurricanes; I made it through Fran in NC and Iniki in Hawaii. I know that those can't compare to this. However, don't make the mistake of thinking that because my username says NY I haven't dealt with the effects of a hurricane. I have, and I feel for the people in the Gulf Coast who have to deal with this.

This was worse than I expected, and better than some of you expected. My call of 40 was grossly underestimated, and those that were calling for 40 thousand were grossly overestimated.

Perhaps I should have said that the Gulf Coast didn't dodge "a" bullet (it is devastated), but I did dodge "the" bullet that some were predicting. The artillery missed but the mortars found a way in.

Anyways, my prayers are going out to those in NOLA, Alabama, and Mississippi.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#35 Postby wolfmmiii » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:34 pm

fci wrote:This thread is senseless and rapidly became inappropriate.

The calamity that occured is of historic proportions and this thread should be locked in my opinion.

There is just no need to discuss this aspect of the storm and debate what is undebatable given the tragedy.

What is it with the "lock the thread" requests on this site? If you don't like the opinions expressed, express your own and move on.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#36 Postby wolfmmiii » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:37 pm

AJC3 wrote:Folks...this is truly a pointless argument. It's like someone arguing...

Let's leave it at that, and not argue about whose perspective is more or less correct - it's an unwinnable argument on either side.

my 0.02
Tony

Perfectly stated!
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#37 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

AJC3 wrote:Folks...this is truly a pointless argument. It's like someone arguing...

my 0.02
Tony

I agree.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby LSU2001 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:43 pm

It was recently reported that the Assembly Center on the Campus of LSU here in Baton Rouge is being set up to act as a temp. Morgue. I don't know how true this is but it was reported on a local Baton Rouge TV station. If this is true then the number of dead must be truly staggering. I cannot imagine officials using a major college basketball arena as a temp morgue unles they are expecting to be overwhelmed with dead. I cannot see how anyone can say that a bullet was doged. We may not have 40,000 dead but I would bet the number is quite substantial. What we need in Louisiana and mississippi is help and prayers, not bickering over death toll. It was bad enough and the red cross is calling this the worst natural disaster in the history of the US. Its bad and getting worse.
Just my 2 cents,
Tim
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby MBismyPlayground » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:54 pm

I also agree..........Whether it was a bullet or a heck of alot of scrapnel, both can do MAJOR damage......one is QUICK and the other creates LONG TERM suffering along the way....... anyway, this arguing about such trivial things is out of control.......so much more to worry and be concerned about.......so lets just all kiss and make up
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby fci » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:11 pm

wolfmmiii wrote:
fci wrote:This thread is senseless and rapidly became inappropriate.

What is it with the "lock the thread" requests on this site? If you don't like the opinions expressed, express your own and move on.

In my opinion, I think you are out of line.
I just can't understand how you would find this thread worthwhile; debating whether New Orleans dodged a bullet while we sadly have watched, and are watching; this beautiful city fall to ruins.
A thread that has degenrated into an issue of semantics, proving nothing and accomplishing nothing.

Besides, based on your statement; I have expressed my opinion and it is that the thread is inappropriate.

Last comment to you regarding this thread:
You are entitled to your opinion of my comments and of me. I certainly have mine of your comments and you.

You have your wish, I will ignore this thread from here on out.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”