Gas rationing

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby storms in NC » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:56 pm

This is a dumb question But here it is. I am going to leave here from NC to La friday. will I be able to get gas on the way there. going I 20 all the way then to either 59 or 55.
0 likes   

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#22 Postby MomH » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:59 pm

Zadok wrote:
12:44 P.M. - (AP) The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port did NOT suffer major damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina. And a port official says the flow of oil could resume within "a matter of hours" once its power supply is restored.

This is massively good news....

Yes good news....except it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get the power back on---if not longer.
0 likes   

BroncoChuck
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#23 Postby BroncoChuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:00 pm

shouldnt have any issues on a major road. its the secondary roads and further south that might start having issues....

We've been low here in my area ever since Ivan we've had shortages in the area .... makes to sence to me
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby storms in NC » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:02 pm

BroncoChuck wrote:shouldnt have any issues on a major road. its the secondary roads and further south that might start having issues....

We've been low here in my area ever since Ivan we've had shortages in the area .... makes to sence to me

Thank you very much.
Deb
0 likes   

HurriCat

#25 Postby HurriCat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:17 pm

MomH wrote:
Zadok wrote:
12:44 P.M. - (AP) The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port did NOT suffer major damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina. And a port official says the flow of oil could resume within "a matter of hours" once its power supply is restored.

This is massively good news....

Yes good news....except it may take 4 to 6 weeks to get the power back on---if not longer.

I believe that they have barges of some sort that are basically loaded with generators, acting as a floating power supply. We've got some creative thinkers on the job - they'll figure something out.

BY THE WAY, I "like" how certain people get to take their political shot and then get to hide behind the Mod-Wrath of NO POLITICAL POSTS, usually before anyone can disagree with their little sniper-shot. I guess it works for them: get in your free shot and then say "yeah, yeah, what-ev-ver" to the Mods' warning to "everyone" while YOUR post hangs around like a bad smell. :grrr: Bwaa-ha-haaaw! (the evil poster)

With all of the "martial law" talk, maybe we need the same for the political whacko elements. Mods put up the "declaration" and then one such post and BAM! Banned forever if not longer. I will welcome this 'law".
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby gtalum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:34 pm

I went to get gas for my lawn mower tonight, and they were out of Regular Unleaded. You may want to fill up if you haven't.
0 likes   

StrongWind
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Well...

#27 Postby StrongWind » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:53 pm

jj_frap wrote:I guess the Bush Crime Family will use Katrina's effects on gas price as justification for backing another coup attempt against Venezuela's democratically elected government due to Venezuela's economic and geopolitical positions being different from and superiour to Washington's.

(And before you make the assumption that I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)

The U.S. has open borders. You're free to leave.
0 likes   

wwicko
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#28 Postby wwicko » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:26 am

Zadok wrote:12:44 P.M. - (AP) The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port did NOT suffer major damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina. And a port official says the flow of oil could resume within "a matter of hours" once its power supply is restored.

It is tremendously good news that the Offshore Oil Port was not significantly damaged. However, I don't believe any operating refineries have the excess capacity to process this oil, given that eight refineries in LA are shut down. US refinery capacity was already stretched thin when those eight facilities were in operation.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby CentralFlGal » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:49 am

jj_frap wrote:I guess the Bush Crime Family will use Katrina's effects on gas price as justification for backing another coup attempt against Venezuela's democratically elected government due to Venezuela's economic and geopolitical positions being different from and superiour to Washington's.

(And before you make the assumption that I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)

Take it to the yahoo msg boards or aol chat rooms. We're still trying to determine if my family has a home to return to.
0 likes   

gilbert88
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby gilbert88 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:51 am

CentralFlGal wrote:

You have your right to express your political opinions, but this is not the right place for that.
0 likes   

ktulu909
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#31 Postby ktulu909 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:37 am

Half of the Gas stations here in Winnsoboro LA were either out of gas tonight,or had horrendous lines letting customers know to fill up saying that there may be no gas here for the next 3 weeks.

Even If I could get back to my home road wise,I may not be able to get gas to get there.
0 likes   

joe_koehle
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#32 Postby joe_koehle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:08 am

the latest headlines on the drudgereport contains a blurb about possible gas shortages in the atlanta area due to the two main pipelines that carry gasoline and jet fuel into town being shut down right now as a result of katrina.
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#33 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:29 am

I went to fill up last night at 11pm, I had about a half gallon left in my tank. As I walked up the guys at Hess were telling everybody they had no regular left, and weren't sure when/if they could get more.

I got $6 in premium to hold me over. I thought it was just a coincedence, seems to be widespread.... doh....
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”