Nagin: Entire City Will Soon Be Underwater

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#21 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 pm

This stuck out: "The floodwater could become so polluted that the Environmental Protection Agency might consider it to be hazardous waste and prohibit it from being pumped out of the leveed areas into the lake and marshes until treated."
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#22 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:06 am

CronkPSU wrote:wow, that person pretty much predicted this disaster to a tee, she was off on the casualty numbers but maybe only because it was not a direct hit

The western inner-core’s eye-wall of Katrina went directly over the top of the eastern side of the city.

If that was not a “direct hit” … then what might a direct hit be?
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#23 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:09 am

jschlitz wrote:This stuck out: "The floodwater could become so polluted that the Environmental Protection Agency might consider it to be hazardous waste and prohibit it from being pumped out of the leveed areas into the lake and marshes until treated."

I suspect that would be the last finding to come out of the EPA before it was summarily abolished....
0 likes   

sertorius
Category 2
Category 2

#24 Postby sertorius » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:15 am

I commented on this in another thread-I really wonder if they can just pump the water out-that water has to be contaminated with all kinds of toxins-I really have to believe, if they can get portable lights to see, that they can fix the levy breach tonight-however, the damage is done and what do you do with the water-do they bring in tankers and pump it into them and haul it somewhere-possibly build a holding lake?? I'm not sure-but that is to me one of the big questions they must answer as well. In addition to the thousand other ones. This is really just undescribable.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am

Let me play Devil's Advocate. While there are certainly some nasty things in the water, I strongly suspect that they are trivial in concentration when compared to the volume of water we're talking about.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#26 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:22 am

sertorius wrote:I commented on this in another thread-I really wonder if they can just pump the water out-that water has to be contaminated with all kinds of toxins-I really have to believe, if they can get portable lights to see, that they can fix the levy breach tonight-however, the damage is done and what do you do with the water-do they bring in tankers and pump it into them and haul it somewhere-possibly build a holding lake?? I'm not sure-but that is to me one of the big questions they must answer as well. In addition to the thousand other ones. This is really just undescribable.

Yes, there is also an article posted in another thread too, says the EPA may declare the water toxic waste and can't be pumped unless treated, which I don't know how that would be feasible.
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:23 am

The city will be fine, sometime in 2006.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#28 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:23 am

jschlitz wrote:
sertorius wrote:I commented on this in another thread-I really wonder if they can just pump the water out-that water has to be contaminated with all kinds of toxins-I really have to believe, if they can get portable lights to see, that they can fix the levy breach tonight-however, the damage is done and what do you do with the water-do they bring in tankers and pump it into them and haul it somewhere-possibly build a holding lake?? I'm not sure-but that is to me one of the big questions they must answer as well. In addition to the thousand other ones. This is really just undescribable.

Yes, there is also an article posted in another thread too, says the EPA may declare the water toxic waste and can't be pumped unless treated, which I don't know how that would be feasible.

Sorry, it's in this thread above....getting late....
0 likes   

sertorius
Category 2
Category 2

#29 Postby sertorius » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am

Possibly, but it doesn't take much to contaminate-think of dead bodies, corpses from the graves, the report today on ABC that most of the chemical facilities have been breached and are leaking, peoples rotten food from flooded houses etc etc-I'm not trying to be gross, but the ema officials have cited the toxcity of the water as one of the reaons for people to clear out. Just my opinion, but this is a serious issue.
0 likes   

kevin

#30 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am

Simple solution, don't let the EPA in.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#31 Postby djtil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 am

The city will be fine, sometime in 2006

mardi gras will be the obvious goal...due to the economic impacts.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#32 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:25 am

kevin wrote:Simple solution, don't let the EPA in.

You can't really be serious.
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#33 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:27 am

It's horrible for people to face, but it is time for people to realise that New Orleans is out of business for at least a year.
0 likes   

kevin

#34 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:28 am

Sure I am serious. Human quality of life takes precedence over environmental prudishness. Considering the filth of the Ganges, what was the filth of the Thames, and all the centuries of filth pumped into the oceans, I think its a safe bet the world won't end if the gulf of Mexico has some human waste in it.
0 likes   

sertorius
Category 2
Category 2

#35 Postby sertorius » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:32 am

Kevin:

I do see where you are comming-I mean the Clevand River burned for what 2 days in the early 70's?? However, we are not just talking human waste here-if the eco system is seriously compromised then there any rebuilding will be seriously hampered as the economy will never revitalize-for all the tourists at Pati Obriens, most of the economy of the area is based on the local eco system-no viable eco system, no economy, no city. Again, just my opinion, but this really needs to be looked at-if not, then we deserve what ever we get.
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:35 am

Remember the red-tide problems in the NE GOM recently?

Release that water and you may suddenly have the largest algal bloom and marine die-back and chronic pollution you ever saw.

Some chemicals are lethal in the parts per billion concentration, that's why it's called toxic.
0 likes   

Windy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby Windy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:36 am

This is an excerpt, verbatim, from a professional storm chaser (literally -- he strings for The Weather Channel) on a storm chasing board. The chaser just got back from basing in New Orleans in Katrina.

"From sources that did not want to be named but you can pretty much consider it a leak to get the word out from some people in the government, 50000 body bags are being brought into New Orleans.

They are going to have to conduct a house to house search because those who stayed went to higher ground, as in their 2nd level then when the water got up there, they went into attics and if they did not have an axe or chain saw, they were trapped and died in the attic from flood waters.

But FEMA and a ton of first responders from all over the nation are heading to the coast to help but this stuff takes time because its massive."
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:41 am

kevin wrote:Sure I am serious. Human quality of life takes precedence over environmental prudishness. Considering the filth of the Ganges, what was the filth of the Thames, and all the centuries of filth pumped into the oceans, I think its a safe bet the world won't end if the gulf of Mexico has some human waste in it.

This hasn't been reported much, but during the height of the storm, the New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board flushed the entire sewer system out into Lake Ponchartrain. They emptied the entire system and sealed it to be able to hold sewer produced in the weeks following the storm. So, it's too late to be worried about the EPA... at least as far as sewerage is concerned. Chemicals? That may be another story.
0 likes   

gratefulnole
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby gratefulnole » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am

oneness wrote:Remember the red-tide problems in the NE GOM recently?

Release that water and you may suddenly have the largest algal bloom and marine die-back and chronic pollution you ever saw.

Some chemicals are lethal in the parts per billion concentration, that's why it's called toxic.

Maybe it will kill the red-tide.
0 likes   

Spinner
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#40 Postby Spinner » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am

Yeah so..they flushed it into the waters that came right back into the city??
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”