Satellite shots: Before, and After

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Windy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby Windy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:22 pm

For you doubting Suzies, these shots come from NASA MODIS/AQUA satellites. You can find them by going to google and typing "Rapidfire gallery".

You can also view these photos in MUCH higher resolution at that site.
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#22 Postby PurdueWx80 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:22 pm

jschlitz wrote:
djtil wrote:
I think it's over for N.O.

its bad but not THAT bad..why is it "over"...whats your thought process on that?

the city is still standing, the levee system is still intact minus 1 or 2 breaches that will be fixed, the water will be pumped out, the electrical grid rebuilt..

its a mess, and it will take time to clean up and billions of dollars but these continual "NOLA CANT BE REBUILT, ITS OVER" thoughts just dont jive with reality.

Look Very Closely. Look at the bright green MS River Levee to the Delta. See all the marsh/land around it on both sides? Now look at; it's blue (not the clouds but the water) all the way to the river. The coastline is virtually eradicated. The city bleeds into it (or it into the city. Look closely at the shape of the lake. It has changed. There are many more wetlands now; and the city is within that zone, except for the west bank, for now.

EXACTLY...thank you!
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#23 Postby djtil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:24 pm

i apologize...i guess my imagination or eyes are bad...i just cant see much difference (i was never saying the pics were fakes but just didnt see the conclusions drawn from the 2 photos)...but if everyone else can im obviously wrong....im sure some high res sat would show the standing water i just cant see much of it in this one......

i can see the water on helicopter shots though....and at no time have i thought "NO IS GONE".
Last edited by djtil on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Windy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby Windy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 pm

No change? The entire coastline is changed!
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 pm

I found much better photos that are 9mb and are the whole coast in real color.

Expect awe inspiring before/after very soon.
0 likes   

krysof

#26 Postby krysof » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 pm

it will never be what it was, that's for sure
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:27 pm

New orleans is greatly damaged. Including maybe a international Airport which will add another 20 billion dollars if I remember right. In thats alone. Maybe New orleans is not all distoryed but its messed up prettty good.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#28 Postby djtil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:28 pm

new orleans? what part cant be what it was?

the waters are going to recede or be pumped out....im just confused by this gloom and doom. maybe im just too optimistic for this place!!

you guys are acting like some big permanent geographical change has taken place..hell...even the man-made band-aided levee system is still in place minue one 200 ft section.

in a few weeks the sat shots will look nearly identical to the before ones.

i realize that this is a huge disaster and will cost billions to fix but taking it to the next level i cant.....ill still be in new orleans next march or whenever celebrating mardi gras....mark it down and come have a beer with me then.
Last edited by djtil on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31 pm

These images were not cropped/processed as nicely from NASA... they are a bit distorted but oh-my-gosh they tell it like it is.

0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 pm

djtil wrote:you guys are acting like some big permanent geographical change has taken place..hell...even the man-made band-aided levee system is still in place minue one 200 ft section.

i realize that this is a huge disaster and will cost billions to fix but taking it to the next level i cant.....ill still be in new orleans next march or whenever celebrating mardi gras....mark it down and come have a beer with me then.

I hope those new "real" sat pics changed your mind. There are definitely geographical changes and only a blind person would refute that.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#31 Postby djtil » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:35 pm

hope those new "real" sat pics changed your mind. There are definitely geographical changes and only a blind person would refute that

point me out a permanent geographical change. i honestly dont really see it...i do see that water is over portions of land, but i can still see the land outline below the water which will recede..

im really not trying to be an @ss here and know that water is everywhere it wasnt before...but my point is that water will recede.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:36 pm

If I'm seeing it right then theres alot of land under water. :eek:
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:37 pm

djtil wrote:point me out a permanent geographical change. i honestly dont really see it...i do see that water is over portions of land, but i can still see the land outline below the water which will recede..

im really not trying to be an @ss here and know that water is everywhere it wasnt before...but my point is that water will recede.

Start your search around Gulf Shores/Mobile Bay.... I'm sure you wont have trouble.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:37 pm

djtil wrote:
hope those new "real" sat pics changed your mind. There are definitely geographical changes and only a blind person would refute that

point me out a permanent geographical change. i honestly dont really see it...i do see that water is over portions of land, but i can still see the land outline below the water which will recede..

The damage to homes/business in peoples lifes is already done.
0 likes   

monty16
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#35 Postby monty16 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:38 pm

where would the water go??? The whole city is a giant bowl!
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:38 pm

:eek:

WOW...
0 likes   
#neversummer

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:39 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:If I'm seeing it right then theres alot of land under water. :eek:

A quick warning...
Do not get the impression that those images match up 1:1 in relation to land. They are slightly rotated and offscale because they are completely raw satalite images without the special nasa trickery. They are not like the ones before it and you will need to search out similar zones yourself. I tried to match up NO as closely as possible, and thats it.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#38 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:43 pm

I'm just very concerned after seeing these shots. I saw the hi-res ones. I'm not saying it will never, ever be rebuilt. I'm not an engineer. What I do have is a History degree.

Look at Indianola, Texas. At one time, it was a thriving port and the largest city on the Texas coast. A second hurricane in 1886 virtually wiped the town off the map. The city was never rebuilt and the county seat was moved to Port Lavaca.

Galveston 1900. We all know that story. But what a lot of people don't realize is that Galveston was the "Wall Street of the South". It was only slightly smaller than Houston, but it had the port. Galveston was poised to be the largest city on the Gulf coast. After the hurricane - yes, Galveston was rebuilt, but it was never the same. Houston quickly overtook Galveston as the center for growth in this region.

Fast forward to today. Even if they do get the water out, how long would it even be habitable? 6 months? A year? Then you have to rebuild everything. I don't know of too many people that are willing to go that long unemployed, so they will find jobs in other cities. They make ties and a new life. Then one day the city is 'reopened'. How many will go back? I know a lot will. There will be parties, there may even be Mardi Gras parades down Bourbon Street again. But I'm afraid it will never be the same, and it just may not be feasible to restore the whole city. Most may just stay where they're at, mainly because they'll have a new job. The thought makes me sick; the closest thing I can relate it to is the horrific images of Richmond, Va. during the Civil War.
0 likes   

gratefulnole
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#39 Postby gratefulnole » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:59 pm

djtil wrote:

the waters are going to recede or be pumped out....im just confused by this gloom and doom. maybe im just too optimistic for this place!!

you guys are acting like some big permanent geographical change has taken place..hell...even the man-made band-aided levee system is still in place minue one 200 ft section.

Do you remember the great upper Mississipi river floods in 1993? When a levee is breached the waters start to flood in and if not immediately stopped the breech just gets bigger and bigger. You can only stop a small leak. Some towns that were inundated got moved to higher ground after those floods.
0 likes   

Windy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby Windy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:31 am

djtil wrote:

The problem is that you're extremely uninformed. Go listen to the news for a while. New Orleans won't be dry for months. The entire city is destroyed.

Ever heard of beach erosion? There is a major geographical change. It's okay that you don't know anything about how hurricanes interact with shoreland, but don't try to teach us a lesson based on your cluelessness.

Are you serious? ROTFL. You really think there will be a New Orleans for you to go to next Mardi Gras? It's going to take almost that long just to get the city DRY, let alone entirely RAZED and REBUILT. If they do bother to rebuild it.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”