"No Need to Evac" From Em Mgmt New Orleans

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#41 Postby Brent » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:25 pm

*pops popcorn*

8-)
0 likes   
#neversummer

Steve Cosby
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby Steve Cosby » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:26 pm

Brent wrote:*pops popcorn*

8-)

Mind if I get a box of Milk Duds and join you at ringside? :lol:
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:27 pm

I don't attack anyone on this site. I did a few times in years gone by and apologized. I just didn't like the "what ever" comment. I like you and always did so don't take it personal. But I'm one of those types of people who make it my business to be informed. Hey, I think the Governor is an airhead when it comes to emergencies and since she's at the top as Harry S. Truman used to say, "The buck stops here." I also don't like the way she's handled the Saints negotiations, but that's another topic for another day.

No hard feelings, but just like tropical statements, I'm looking for backup so I can stay educated on all topics.

The bigger point though is that the hotels are running out fast and should be booked solid by later tonight. Everyone needs to make their plans now in order to not have to drive to Memphis, Little Rock or Dallas.

Steve
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby sunny » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:29 pm

By gones.
Last edited by sunny on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Let's get back to the weather.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Steve Cosby wrote:
Brent wrote:*pops popcorn*

8-)

Mind if I get a box of Milk Duds and join you at ringside? :lol:

Looks like you guys are going to have to wait both steve and sunny have too much class to battle it out on the board over something like this.
Tim :lol: :lol: :lol: :fantastic: :beam:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve Cosby
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby Steve Cosby » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:31 pm

Steve wrote:The bigger point though is that the hotels are running out fast and should be booked solid by later tonight. Everyone needs to make their plans now in order to not have to drive to Memphis, Little Rock or Dallas.

Steve

If anybody has to drive to Little Rock, let me give you a tip: Jacksonville is on the north side of Little Rock. There is a motel there that started out life as a Holiday Inn Express and lost its franchise. It is called the "Southern Comfort Inn". When I stayed there last year, it was still in good shape/condition. It will be a lot cheaper than the name brands.
0 likes   

duris
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#48 Postby duris » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Steve wrote:While Governor Blanco ain't all that, her performance and the state's in general IS FAR SUPERIOR than former super-popular Governor Mike Foster who hunted and went to Law School while Louisiana burned. I think she gets a ridiculously unfair shake for her job to date. Most of the evidence against her is very anecdotal.

Take that from someone who voted for her opponent.

Steve

I was no fan of Foster's, but have you ever heard Blanco speak? Jesus! She's a moron! Can't believe she beat someone as bright as Jindal.

And now back to your regularly scheduled weather.
0 likes   

BigO
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Location: Marietta, GA: Knows what it means to miss New Orleans...

#49 Postby BigO » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:21 pm

I feel the need to say that while I might have interjected a political note into this thread, I explicitly didn't want the discussion to flare over politics...and I edited my post for clarity to express that.

My original point was that while she said it was no big deal with TS force winds over NOLA, she declared a state of emergency. I only wanted to say that her actions didn't inspire any confidence in our safety...not to broaden the discussion beyond that.

I moderate a rather large political PHP board at another site...I can speak volumes about unintended consequences to simple statements.

I never intended to sidetrack this or any other thread.

A side note in my own defense...in addition to posting on the forum, I'm making General Tso's Chicken from scratch, monitoring a NFL preseason game, and drinking beer all at the same time. Needless to say, I'm multi-tasking to the extreme.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Steve » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:22 pm

Yeah and I agree.

But duris, guess what? I just went and purchased the super large bag of Pelican Ice and a 12 pack of Abita. If I pound more than 4 - likely with the Saints replay on tonight at midnight (trying to keep my eyes and ears away from the tv & radio), then I'll be back for another 12er tomorrow.

This is bizarre. I usually get super hyped about storms knowing they'll usually turn away at some point. But I kind of just have a dull feeling about Katrina. Maybe it's the uncertainty or the over-the-top model shift and continued south of west movement? I thought I had it reasonably figured out on Wed. with a NW FL hit. And that might still be right. Or it might be way off. Katrina seems to be one of those systems that's just going to do what she wants to do (emphasis on she). And no matter what the synoptic setup is or what the models said at point "x", she's going to throw a whimsical curveball or two along the way. The thing that bothers me the most is the potential all of us Gulf Coasters are facing with this system. If Bastardi & Stewart are on and a Cat 4 threat is looming, I don't think anyone outside of Honduras or Homestead, FL can even relate. I know I'm feeling something because I'm smoking like a freaking smokestack tonight.

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby fci » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:22 pm

For all y'all arguing in this thread....

Note that Katrina does not care about what the NHC says.
She turned left when she hit SE Fla provining she is UNPREDICTABLE!!!

IF y'all in NO get a Hurricane Watch or Warning; even if you are on the extreme right or left edge of the watch/warning area; HEED THE WARNING.

Don't let the politicians; whether you like her or not, frankly who gives a rip; keep you from thinking of YOUR best interests and protect your lives and property.

Cut out the petty BS about your Gov. and put your eye back on the ball.
Here, we only got the weak version of Katrina and she is tenacious and soon to add "dangerous" to her moniker.
Last edited by fci on Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

mvtrucking
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby mvtrucking » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:25 pm

storms in NC wrote:How do you know that it is even going to La? I am not being funny about this. I have family in Amite and would like to know how you are so sure the the Hurricane will go there?

No one said that it WAS going to hit NOLA Storms. Its just all of the models moving west and the continued WSW movement of the storm has people jittery I think. It does seem right now anyway that several models are pointing towards New Orleans. Heck it may turn and head NE for all I know?
0 likes   

smashmode
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: "No Need to Evac" From Em Mgmt New Orleans

#53 Postby smashmode » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:42 pm

micktooth wrote:Just heard Walter Maestri, the em. mgmt. director for Jefferson Parish say there is no need at this time to consider evacuation. This is the same guy who freaks out on any storm in the Gulf. Usually, there is an overreaction. I'm just afraid tomorrow the stuff will hit the fan really hard and the call will go out to get the he** out of here. I think the lack of official info on this one is pathetic. Maybe Dennis just got them a little gun shy.

He is a dumbnut.

Seriouslly 4 of the models have this thing having a near-direct hit on NOLA.

we are what..72 hours out?
0 likes   

smashmode
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#54 Postby smashmode » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:44 pm

superfly wrote:He is correct. I know I'm not moving an inch.

You better hope he is correct.
0 likes   

smashmode
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#55 Postby smashmode » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:47 pm

wxman57 wrote:I think that once the GFDL likely shifts more westward on the 18Z run, the NHC will have no choice but to adjust their track to New Orleans. Time is short, they can't wait much longer to get ready for evacuations. We'll be adjusting our track to New Orleans most likely at 9pm. ETA of the center on the coast south of New Orleans around noon Monday, possibly as a strong Cat 3 or Cat 4. Just about the worst-case scenario for New Orleans.

Of course, New Orleans always seems to get lucky as storms veer left or right of the city. But has their luck run out?

Agreed. Tampa got extremely lucky last year with charly.
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

Re: "No Need to Evac" From Em Mgmt New Orleans

#56 Postby johngaltfla » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:49 pm

micktooth wrote:Just heard Walter Maestri, the em. mgmt. director for Jefferson Parish say there is no need at this time to consider evacuation. This is the same guy who freaks out on any storm in the Gulf. Usually, there is an overreaction. I'm just afraid tomorrow the stuff will hit the fan really hard and the call will go out to get the he** out of here. I think the lack of official info on this one is pathetic. Maybe Dennis just got them a little gun shy.

That's just plain nuts. :eek:
0 likes   

Acral
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby Acral » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:58 pm

I personally do not see a NOLA hit right now, but I need to see that North jog, and following that, I expect a hard NE turn... now when and where those will occur (or even if) I cannot say.

I *personally* am still looking at a Mississippi landfall, but if I was in NOLA, I would be looking around my house. Looking at things like flashlights, suitcases, floatation devices, et al.
0 likes   

KYAGoodbye
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#58 Postby KYAGoodbye » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:11 pm

I don't think most people understand the problems associated with evacuating New Orleans. I will never wait for the politicians to decide if I should leave. They are too concerned with politics, it's their nature. Realistically, if it heads here, we all better hope that alot of people are leaving before they tell us to go, because there will not be enough time to get everyone out otherwise. Look at the flak Maestri ( a real disaster expert) gets for suggesting voluntary evacuation for Dennis, and the praise Nagin got for sitting tight. In reality, there is a monster in the Gulf and by the time we really know where it is going it will be Sunday night, with no time to leave. So, some people, myself included, would rather leave to be on the safe side, and be very very happy and grateful when we are spared. I just do not understand the complaining when we dodge the bullet, as we have been very fortunate with Georges, Camille, Lili, Ivan, etc Bottom line, relax, prepare, and be responsible for the decisions you make. Government is not my Daddy.
0 likes   

flightpath
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#59 Postby flightpath » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:12 pm

now is not the time to run
must balance caution with prudence
0 likes   

millibar
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#60 Postby millibar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:13 pm

BigO wrote:I feel the need to say that while I might have interjected a political note into this thread, I explicitly didn't want the discussion to flare over politics...and I edited my post for clarity to express that.

My original point was that while she said it was no big deal with TS force winds over NOLA, she declared a state of emergency. I only wanted to say that her actions didn't inspire any confidence in our safety...not to broaden the discussion beyond that.

I moderate a rather large political PHP board at another site...I can speak volumes about unintended consequences to simple statements.

I never intended to sidetrack this or any other thread.

A side note in my own defense...in addition to posting on the forum, I'm making General Tso's Chicken from scratch, monitoring a NFL preseason game, and drinking beer all at the same time. Needless to say, I'm multi-tasking to the extreme.

Hey, Big O' I havf to ask...whats your recipe??? :lol:

Chuck
PS Stay safe!!!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”