Do you think this is too optimistic?

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Pellice
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#41 Postby Pellice » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 pm

But will they simply patch the levees and such? It almost seems as though the system will need a thorough reworking, and modern building codes, etc. applied to buildings.

But how to balance that? The need to return people after a couple of months, of course, but the need for modern building codes, a much better levee system, etc. I really have no idea how officials would make that decision.
0 likes   

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#42 Postby therealashe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 pm

After Ivan, Charley, Jeanne etc last year, there was an incredible shortage of AFFORDABLE rentals. Those who live paycheck to paycheck (and I imagine that is a LOT of New Orleans) simply found themselves unable to find homes.

We did a fund raising drive for families who had children with autism in the panhandle who were affected by Ivan. I can't tell you how many lost everything, only to find out there was no place for them to rent, or to be evicted from the place they had because their job had been destroyed.

With so many displaced... <sigh> it's just depressing.

This also makes me wonder how they handled evacuating those with developmental disabilities or other disabilities. In Florida last year, we found that evacuation plans often didn't have adequate plans/shelters for the disabled.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby gtalum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:40 pm

I suspect that ultimately they will rebuild the entire levee network to be able to withstand a Katrina-type or stronger storm in the future. In the meantime, they'll just patch the levee any way they can to get the water out ASAP.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby otowntiger » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:56 pm

sunny wrote:
otowntiger wrote: Of course, that is what I'll do. I'll pray that you and yours will be back to normal way before any could predict. Did you go to Houston and if so are you staying in a hotel? I know this has got to be agonizing, so much you could worry about, but prayer is definitely important and should be done performed by all of us much more than we do, but especially now. My heart goes out to you and all of the good, honest hard working citizens of N.O like you who detest what you are seeing on t.v now.

Thank you for your kind words otowntiger.

I am in Atlanta at the moment. I think we are going to try to make our way to Baton Rouge tomorrow. I have heard there are hurricane refugees there lining up outside of apartments and houses trying to find a place to live. This is an absolute nightmare.

I know this is absolutely a nightmare for all of you involved and quite frankly for those of us who are on the sidelines with our jaws dropped. I am a Louisiana native (Baton Rouge) and I suppose that makes all of this even worse for me, because that's my "old stomping ground". I love the area and all the history and charisma and charm that makes the place special for all the residents and visitors. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the good folks in Baton Rouge treat you well. I still call it home after being gone for over 16 years as I still have family there. Keep us posted on your situation. God bless and Godspeed!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”